Is there a speaker issue?

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
It definitely does suck. If the audio can be fixed that would be good... BT isn't really a fix since as Jerry said if they used older technology in specific vehicles that is less secure that isn't really Google's fault.

At least it is better than my last high end phone that could possible burn / explode on me ;).
Jerry knows a lot more than I do about what goes into the programming behind the software versions, but I will say that the bluetooth issues are not present with iPhone and Samsung phones used in the same vehicles. Some companies are further behind in security and updates, but those two are generally pretty up-to-date. I am hopeful that Google can and will fix the bluetooth issues or I will be selling my Pixel XL.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Project Fi owners have no recourse.
Our selection of phones are updated fast, which is good.
The update, however, breaks things.
Not good, not good at all.

EDIT:

.....BT isn't really a fix since as Jerry said if they used older technology in specific vehicles that is less secure that isn't really Google's fault....

Thing is, backwards compatibility is a mandated feature. I mean one can't buy a car for every new phone. Well at least I won't.:confused:

Last edited:

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
No issues here, and if you have to install a specific app and do other very specific things to produce an issue, it's generally not much of an issue. My volume is maxed out (both speaker and headphone) often and I have never experienced this. For a single speaker it's actually very good compared to other phones I've heard including the iPhone 7 and GS7.

"Beta Device" lol. Literally every phone ever made has issues (and usually far more serious than this one) if you go looking for them. Look at Apple right now, dealing with battery recalls, serious screen issues, home buttons giving people 3rd degree burns, and Chinese authorities regarding exploding/fire causing batteries - silly beta testers :)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Jerry knows a lot more than I do about what goes into the programming behind the software versions, but I will say that the bluetooth issues are not present with iPhone and Samsung phones used in the same vehicles. Some companies are further behind in security and updates, but those two are generally pretty up-to-date. I am hopeful that Google can and will fix the bluetooth issues or I will be selling my Pixel XL.

Samsung and Apple aren't using the same Bluetooth version. They also may be using third-party codecs (think add-ons) that car stereo makers also use.

Bluetooth, well, it sucks. It's an open implementation that plenty of talented people and companies support and when everything is right and the same it works great for data transfer at relatively low speed with little impact on battery. That's what it was designed to do.

The problem is that no matter how hard the maintainers try to make updates backwards compatible, they never are fully 100% compatible with things running older versions. Most of the time this isn't too big of a deal, but sometimes it means two things just don't work well together.

People making phones and computers and tablets can be slow to update to newer versions sometimes (and we yell and complain because of it) but other things that use Bluetooth — expensive headphones, cars, high-end motorcycle helmets, etc. hardly ever update. That's why a 5 year old phone works when paired to a 5 year old car's audio system, but a brand new phone might not. The divide between Apple and Android also doesn't help, because when cars *do* get updated, it's usually to provide better support for the iPhone or iPod.

I dunno how you fix it. A car stereo usually isn't filled with important user data or susceptible to being hacked by a man in the middle setup at Starbucks. It really doesn't need updated past the version that makes everything work the best it can. But phones are different and we want them to stay secure.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
No issues here, and if you have to install a specific app and do other very specific things to produce an issue, it's generally not much of an issue. My volume is maxed out (both speaker and headphone) often and I have never experienced this. For a single speaker it's actually very good compared to other phones I've heard including the iPhone 7 and GS7.

"Beta Device" lol. Literally every phone ever made has issues (and usually far more serious than this one) if you go looking for them. Look at Apple right now, dealing with battery recalls, serious screen issues, home buttons giving people 3rd degree burns, and Chinese authorities regarding exploding/fire causing batteries - silly beta testers :)

Did you read Jerry's post?
agreed, most phones have issues. However:
To me turn by turn navigation is not just some random app.
When needed it's critical.
regarding volume...I don't have the best hearing to begin with so have volume maxed out ALL.THE.TIME.
was wondering why my BT connection in the car was funky, thought i set it up wrong.....

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Did you read Jerry's post?
agreed, most phones have issues. However:
To me turn by turn navigation is not just some random app.
When needed it's critical.
regarding volume...I don't have the best hearing to begin with so have volume maxed out ALL.THE.TIME.
was wondering why my BT connection in the car was funky, thought i set it up wrong.....

I read it. The beta device comment is absurd, to be honest.

Anyways you seem to be having uncommon issues and that would no doubt be frustrating - just RMA the phone and be done with it. Your replacement will probably be fine given how many other people seem to have no issues. Google is amazing liberal with RMA's, and easy to deal with. I am probably the pickiest phone owner here and they have yet to deny me a RMA haha. I'm sorry you're having an issue, good luck.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
My goodness, this rather stinks.

Some paid north of $1K for a beta device.
Not a great start for Google in the high end hardware line.
"Hearing" BT might not be fixed is hardly encouraging.

u say as if the non beta devices(note 7 or S7 or moto Z or one plus or HTC 10) never had any issue at all

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
u say as if the non beta devices(note 7 or S7 or moto Z or one plus or HTC 10) never had any issue at all

Agreed - or literally every iPhone, which experience so little change generation-to-generation that people often argue they are the furthest from a 'beta' device, yet are always riddled with issues or varying severity, both hardware and software.

Bottom line is if you have an issue, RMA it, google is amazing to deal with. Clearly this is not an issue most people are having, so your replacement is likely to be fine :) I'd be upset if I had this issue too but I would have made the RMA call within 2 minutes of confirming it was a repeatable issue.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

Ha, never said or meant that.
Pointing out limitations of devices brings out defenders of "my stuff".
When Google initiated prototype devices to test software utilization on intended hardware; It was in essence "Beta" devices testing "Beta" software.
In theory that stopped with our current Pixel.
If, as Jerry inferred, BT can't/ won't be fixed. that is an issue in and of itself.
Current laws mandate "hands-free" usage of phones in my state.
In truth, everyone has seen erratic drivers weaving back and forth while carrying on a heated conversation or text session.
It's hazardous to say the least. BT not working dependably compounds this.
Being a fully vertical corp with control over hardware, software along with carrier responsibilities is a daunting task.
I'm rooting for them.
Now, did I say I'm returning my phone? Not at all.

FULLM3T8L

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
My speaker just started popping the past several days. Usually happens when watching a video and it seemed like it was intermittent. However all of my phone calls the past few days the callers are unable to hear my and keep repeating "Hello" as the speaker seems to be cutting out. Went to Verizon yesterday to see what they can do about it as this will be my 3rd replacement since Nov 1st. In addition to the new speaker or mic issues the update several weeks ago did nothing for my connectivity issues.

Verizon told me they will keep replacing it until I get one that does not have any issues. It kinda sucks, I know, but at least I am getting a new phone out of the deal. From what I was told yesterday and you can take this for what it may or may not be worth but they said these are hardware issues and hardware failures and no software updates will completely resolve things. At least this is my case. Thanks for sharing!

I'm having the same problem where someone can't hear me on a call! If I have to hear someone say hello again...

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Ha, never said or meant that.
Pointing out limitations of devices brings out defenders of "my stuff".
When Google initiated prototype devices to test software utilization on intended hardware; It was in essence "Beta" devices testing "Beta" software.
In theory that stopped with our current Pixel.
If, as Jerry inferred, BT can't/ won't be fixed. that is an issue in and of itself.
Current laws mandate "hands-free" usage of phones in my state.
In truth, everyone has seen erratic drivers weaving back and forth while carrying on a heated conversation or text session.
It's hazardous to say the least. BT not working dependably compounds this.
Being a fully vertical corp with control over hardware, software along with carrier responsibilities is a daunting task.
I'm rooting for them.
Now, did I say I'm returning my phone? Not at all.

I wanna be clear here.

When i say "never be fixed" I mean not be completely bug free.

While there will always be cases of BT "stuff" that just never works with any particular phone, tweaks and tiny changes can and will be made to make things work better together, and incremental updates will make it a non issue for most people.

This is a big part of the reason Samsung and Apple (and HTC, and Moto, and LG, you get the picture) don't push the very latest bluetooth stack on their products. They don't care about sticking with open-source software or keeping current on a particular project. They're not maintaining the Android project so they have no need to worry about versioning or compatibility fixes and just use whatever they like (which means use whatever works and is the easiest to implement).

Google needs to make sure Android works with off the shelf hardware without adding anything to it. They have to be the people using the newest and helping make it better.

So when i say it won;t be fixed, I mean the broader sense that Bluetooth will always be a problem because only one side in the connection cares about being up to date.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I wanna be clear here.

When i say "never be fixed" I mean not be completely bug free. .....

So when i say it won;t be fixed, I mean the broader sense that Bluetooth will always be a problem because only one side in the connection cares about being up to date.

Thanks for the clarification.
Think the last "perfect" implementation of anything was Word Perfect 5.1. But I digress.

While understanding G's dilemma... IMO; can't hold function hostage over specs. IOW's it just needs to work darn it, standards be da?ned.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification.
Think the last "perfect" implementation of anything was Word Perfect 5.1. But I digress.

While understanding G's dilemma... IMO; can't hold function hostage over specs. IOW's it just needs to work darn it, standards be da?ned.
I would have pushed that to the other companies that are cheapskating updates.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
With all due respect, I find it much easier to believe that Google just did not do its homework or testing on bluetooth as opposed to believing that Google is more concerned about privacy than Apple and all these other companies. I do not like Apple at all, but its track record with respect to privacy is much better than Google's. I have been an Android person since the original Droid and HTC Eris, and Google has a consistent track record of releasing products (apps, etc.) that are half-baked and they work out the kinks as they go. Look at most of the products they have released, including the recent releases of Allo, Google Assistant, Home, etc. I think Google can fix the issues with Bluetooth if it cares to try to fix them. Unfortunately, Google also has a track record of ignoring issues that it does not care about fixing.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
With all due respect, I find it much easier to believe that Google just did not do its homework or testing on bluetooth as opposed to believing that Google is more concerned about privacy than Apple and all these other companies. I do not like Apple at all, but its track record with respect to privacy is much better than Google's. I have been an Android person since the original Droid and HTC Eris, and Google has a consistent track record of releasing products (apps, etc.) that are half-baked and they work out the kinks as they go. Look at most of the products they have released, including the recent releases of Allo, Google Assistant, Home, etc. I think Google can fix the issues with Bluetooth if it cares to try to fix them. Unfortunately, Google also has a track record of ignoring issues that it does not care about fixing.

Apple definitely has more invested in the perception of advocating privacy, but their privacy and security policies are actually substantially worse than Google, as is their actual track record.

I agree with you on many products going to launch far before other companies would consider them ready, but I believe that's due to different priorities for a different intended user base.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Problems popping up is one thing and even expected on a new device. Getting them addressed properly by Google is another thing. It shouldn't take 2 or 3 attempts on getting blue tooth issues corrected only to find out they are not entirely and may not even be entirely resolved. Same thing with LTE connectivity and signal. 3rd replacement for me and still issues. That is quality control, or lack of it

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

All that aside, who else should make sure Android works with the new bluetooth stack?

I have no idea if Google always uses the latest bluetooth because they care about us. They do it because they have to do it.

Google does a ton of meathead nonsense. I do not like Google as a company. I do not like any of these companies, though I may like some of their products or services. They are all the same greedy machine that only exists to siphon money from everyone, even those that can't afford it. All while they are exploiting cheap or free labor by using open-source software to make billions and not giving back.

That last part is the one thing I like about Google — they aren't like that and do give plenty back. They take a project, adopt it, adapt it and improve it. The Chromium project alone makes up for all the evils they may do when it comes to using the open source community (there are plenty).

Google will take the latest version of bluetooth, adapt it to work with Android, improve it as much as they can. Then they'll compare it to the very latest version, merge any changes, and commit it all back. Sometime their changes are undesirable (adding a google-invented codec or something like that) and folks hate on them, including me. But that doesn't diminish the fact that they follow through and give everything back.

But they're still greedy, evil monsters who make good phones sometimes and offer great services that you pay for (because you want to) with your life.