Is there a USB C cable to charge my phone and conect to a non powered device.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a small external keypad (it only has three keys on it) which I use with Tasker to control my Galaxy S10. What I would like to be able to do is to charge my phone (with a samsung charger) and have the non powered keypad connected at the same time. Using a wireless charger is not practical. Obviously a powered USB hub is no help as it powers the device not the phone..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
.....Obviously a powered USB hub is no help as it powers the device not the phone..

Actually, that is the distinguishing feature between an externally powered USB hub and a non-powered USB hub. With a powered USB hub, the power adapter you plug into the hub can supply additional power for non-powered devices like that keypad device. With a non-powered USB hub, the only power it receives is supplied by the USB port its plugged into, and in that case it's important to note what USB port is involved. USB ver. 2.x ports can only supply a half and amp (500mA), while ver. 3.x and Type-C ports much more (at least 3 - 5 amps).

Buy a powered-USB hub, than it's the power adapter that supplies power instead of taxing the battery in your S10.when you would be using a non-powered hub.

Steve Waring

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
@smvim As I said, a normal powered hub is no use because it provides power to the keyboard and NOT to the phone, which is what my question was asking ( What I would like to be able to do is to charge my phone (with a samsung charger) and have the non powered keypad connected at the same time.)
@B Diddy: The pass through power hub looks like it would do the trick, but I was really hoping for a cheaper option. I don't need the power backup as I already have an Anker power bank (with no data hub) and I don't need a hub, because I only have one device. So I'd be paying a lot, for a lot of functionality that I don't need. I was hoping for some sort of Y cable, but none of the Y cables I have seen pass power to the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech