Is there any downside to leaving my Pixel 3 on the Pixel Stand all day?

jabaa

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
I finally bought a Pixel Stand and I plan on keeping it on my desk at work. Anyway, is there any downside to leaving my Pixel 3 on it all day, every day? To the battery, or to anything else?

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
I think you will find a lot of different options on this question.
If you need to keep a full charge on your phone at all times, then keep it on the stand. If not then don't. My phone gets charged when it drops below 50%, my laptop is permanently on charge, and has so far over 2 years both batteries appear to be as new.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I finally bought a Pixel Stand and I plan on keeping it on my desk at work. Anyway, is there any downside to leaving my Pixel 3 on it all day, every day? To the battery, or to anything else?

I dont think it be a issue, but I like my battery to do its job and then charge it .

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
The battery in my previous Motorola phone was crap, so I've been particularly keen on keeping this Pixel 3XL battery in good shape. I read a bunch of articles on maintaining a cellphone battery. Seems the best way to prolong battery life is to keep it charged at or below 85% (not 100%), then to top it off when it drops below 60% or so. And not letting it get below 15%. For me at work, that equates to getting it charged up to 75 or 80%, taking it off charge, then with light to moderate use during my workday, by mid-afternoon I top it off for the evening back up to 80% or slightly less. I'm only going off what I read from several sources. I have Accubattery Pro installed and it would seem to agree and it likes the way I'm using my battery like that reading out a current estimated battery capacity of 3690ma, 108% above design capacity of 3400ma. I do other things to keep battery usage low such as dimming the screen to a darker but perfectly usable level depending on the environment, and turning off bluetooth when not using it. YMMV

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Been using my Pixel 3 with Pixel Stand since launch as a Night Stand, so it sits and charges all night. Its been 5 months since launch and never experienced any issues, now i dont know the long term affects but i gotta imagine its safe.

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
The battery in my previous Motorola phone was crap, so I've been particularly keen on keeping this Pixel 3XL battery in good shape. I read a bunch of articles on maintaining a cellphone battery. Seems the best way to prolong battery life is to keep it charged at or below 85% (not 100%), then to top it off when it drops below 60% or so. And not letting it get below 15%. For me at work, that equates to getting it charged up to 75 or 80%, taking it off charge, then with light to moderate use during my workday, by mid-afternoon I top it off for the evening back up to 80% or slightly less. I'm only going off what I read from several sources. I have Accubattery Pro installed and it would seem to agree and it likes the way I'm using my battery like that reading out a current estimated battery capacity of 3690ma, 108% above design capacity of 3400ma. I do other things to keep battery usage low such as dimming the screen to a darker but perfectly usable level depending on the environment, and turning off bluetooth when not using it. YMMV

All very commendable, but do you want to micro manage your battery? A phone is a tool to be used not cosseted like a piece of jewelry.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Whenever I'm at my desk working from home and not using it it's on the pixel stand and whenever I'm in my room and not using it like over night it's on the pixel stand. I've never had issues leaving it for long periods of time and the point of a pixel stand is not just to be used as a wireless charger but also transform your phone sort of to a mini Google home. These days my understanding is that the technologies used on phone batteries are so advanced that it stops charging after a while then start charging again when it needs juice.

Derek Wright

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Gotta agree with packer guy. Charge my phone no higher than 85% and almost never let it go below 25%. The way battery chemistry works basically means you'll get the most longevity out of it by never fully charging or discharging it. You can get up to 3 or 4 times the typical battery longevity before noticable degradation is seen this way.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Gotta agree with packer guy. Charge my phone no higher than 85% and almost never let it go below 25%. The way battery chemistry works basically means you'll get the most longevity out of it by never fully charging or discharging it. You can get up to 3 or 4 times the typical battery longevity before noticable degradation is seen this way.

I dont know how you guys do that, as in ensure it doesnt charge or deplete below a specific %...that'd drive me nuts personally lol

jabaa

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
Makes sense to target the 50 - 85% zone but not lose sleep over it. For example for me, if I am heading out the door for a few hours, I'm gonna want my phone at 100% generally just in case I need all that juice. It's been easy to keep my P3 above 50% because the battery life is good... Anyway, thanks for the comments / suggestions all...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I think 3 or 4 times the typical battery longevity is a bit of a stretch. The only thing I do is avoid zero and my batteries seem to hold up well.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I dont know how you guys do that, as in ensure it doesnt charge or deplete below a specific %...that'd drive me nuts personally lol

You get use to it. AccuBattery helps because you can set an alarm when charging to a certain percentage to prevent over charging. Over time you'll get an idea of when it's getting low, unless you're actually using it and just look at your gauge.

This article is one of the most comprehensive when it comes to understanding Li-ion battery life.

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
@jabaa you should pay pay particular attention to the effects of holding a Li-ion battery at a high state of charge. I once did what you are thinking of, keeping my phone plugged in all the time, and it killed the battery in about 6 months. Thankfully that was before manufacturers got dumb and sealing their batteries in, so I just swapped it out and lesson learned. That's the reason these types of batteries are shipped at a partial storage charge level, to prevent damage why sitting on the warehouse shelves.

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
How I manage it, is I have chargers of various types in all my frequent landing places: adjacent to my living room chair, in my car, at my bedside and at work. Makes it pretty convenient. I don't change phones yearly, mostly because my phone is both personal/business use and it's a PIA to get my work email, calendar, contacts configured and working properly. I had my Moto XPE 4 years before this 3XL and plan on keeping this phone as long as I can, so battery health is important to me and I'm fine with babying it or doing what I have to, to get as much life out of it as possible.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey, question for everyone -- does the phone get warm at all when charging wirelessly on the Pixel Stand? I just upgraded from the 2 XL to the 3 XL, and tried using some of my old wireless chargers from my Nexus 5/Nexus 7 days. These only charge slowly (which is fine by me, since I typically just charge overnight), but I noticed that the phone gets somewhat warm. It made me a little cautious about doing this on a regular basis.

jabaa

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
Hey, question for everyone -- does the phone get warm at all when charging wirelessly on the Pixel Stand? I just upgraded from the 2 XL to the 3 XL, and tried using some of my old wireless chargers from my Nexus 5/Nexus 7 days. These only charge slowly (which is fine by me, since I typically just charge overnight), but I noticed that the phone gets somewhat warm. It made me a little cautious about doing this on a regular basis.

Mine does, yes. It also frequently says it is "Charging Slowly."

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I just tried charging it with the case off, and it didn't seem as warm while charging -- so the case was probably interfering with heat dissipation (it's a Moment case made with rubberized plastic and a real wood back). I suppose it never gets warm enough to cause significant damage, so I'll probably go ahead and use it, at least intermittently.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I just tried charging it with the case off, and it didn't seem as warm while charging -- so the case was probably interfering with heat dissipation (it's a Moment case made with rubberized plastic and a real wood back). I suppose it never gets warm enough to cause significant damage, so I'll probably go ahead and use it, at least intermittently.

How you liking the 3xl from the 2xl?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaibh