Is there any way to confirm that I can still get updates after rooting?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I just got my new Galaxy Note (2014 Ed.) and immediately rooted it. I learned with GS4 that rooting before doing any customization can save me a lot of heartbreak.

I've followed this guide, but I'm having trouble reflashing the stock. As I understand it, this step's purpose is to allow the device to continue receiving updates. Everything seems to be working fine, and I have confirmed root access. Is there a way to confirm whether or not I am able to receive updates?

In case I've missed a step or something, I'll also be posting a question that is more specific to my device here: Device Specific Thread

Last edited:

AndroidProf

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
If you don't have a stock recovery installed you won't be able to receive any OTAs from the OEM directly. However, you can always use the manual method and sideload the OTAs after they have been captured and uploaded by someone on sites such as XDA Developers etc. The whole method is real easy and this way you will be able to reroot your device with ease if an OTA removes your root privileges (which is highly likely in most cases). In my experience, OTA updates can more easily be accessed via sideloading than waiting for them to be released in your region.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
If you don't have a stock recovery installed you won't be able to receive any OTAs from the OEM directly. However, you can always use the manual method and sideload the OTAs after they have been captured and uploaded by someone on sites such as XDA Developers etc. The whole method is real easy and this way you will be able to reroot your device with ease if an OTA removes your root privileges (which is highly likely in most cases). In my experience, OTA updates can more easily be accessed via sideloading than waiting for them to be released in your region.

That makes a lot of sense and really eases my mind about the whole thing... I just needed a glass half full kind of person's view :D

Thanks Prof!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20