Is there anyway easier way to block a device gate way address for a android wifi hotspot

Tech user 88

Banned
May 5, 2020
Visit site
Today I figured you can block any device manually by going into the settings and typing in this for the address gate way 192.168.1.2 but that will not work to block someone on my android wifi hotspot like a stranger because I cant use their phone and do it this is why I'm asking is there any other way to block gateway addresses instead of doing it manualy if so please let me know

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying someone else is already using your hotspot? From the few times I've used my hotspot, it sets the network up with a password, so I wouldn't expect there to be anyone using it that you didn't give explicit permission and password to.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If your hotspot is password protected, an unwanted device can't connect. Are you worried about some nonexistent superhacker sitting next to you or seomthing?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Then make sure the password is not easy to guess. Don't make it an actual word, or a number that has any significant meaning to you. One good technique is to come up with a sentence that means something to you, then take the first letter of each word. So, for example, "My son graduated from Bronx Science on June 5, 2019" would be "Msgfbsoj52019" (and you could mix in some capital letters in there, or substitute an exclamation point for the 1).

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
So... changing that gateway address will only prevent the device on which it was changed from accessing anything beyond the hotspot device. "Gateway" refers to the path to get out, or at least to the next link in the path to the internet. The best way, as has been suggested is to just change the password. Mine has a pretty complex password by default, any time I need to connect a new device to it I have to look up the password.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatiko