Is to safe to keep the Moto G 2nd generation charging the whole night?

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Charging of Moto g 2nd generation

Yes, it should be fine. The new battery technology, I believe its called drip charge or something along that caps it off. Basically it stops charging at 100%

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

For every phone and tablet I've ever had: I put it on the charger before I go to bed. I take it off the charger whenever I'm ready to use it the next day.

I will ocassionally run my devices all the way down to improve the device's run time prediction and to test the battery condition. I do that about once every three months or so.

Stevieboi

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

I thought that wasn't a good thing to do cos it shortens the life of the battery? I could be wrong though.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Assuming that the hardware doesn't fail, you can keep the charger plugged in all year. The charge stops when the battery is fully charged. (If you leave it in long enough - a couple of weeks - the battery will probably be drained enough and self-discharge enough that the charger will come on again and top the battery off.)

It's not a good idea, though, to just charge it whenever - like every night. Charge when it's between 40% and 60%. That will give you the longest battery life. Charging when it's still 90% charged is shortening the life a little bit. Letting it get down to 20% regularly will shorten the drastically. (Constantly using the phone until it shuts off, and doing that every day, will give you less than a year of life - for a battery that you could, by carefully scheduling the charging, keep going until you don't want to use that old phone any more. I'm still using the original batteries [I always have a spare] with my 10 year old Motorola V551. If there's a chance that the phone will get wet, lost, stolen or broken where I'm going to be, that's a $20 phone, not a $700 Android phablet.)

About the only disadvantage to leaving the charger plugged in is that it wastes a few pennies of electricity a week (maybe even as much as $2 a year) - and that's whether it's plugged into the phone or not, it's just by being plugged into the wall.

Battery University - How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny