Is using a power brick from another brand safe?

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
My official power brick can no longer be used. I have a power brick that came with my Moto X Play in which I can plug USB cables. Is that safe to use on my Pixel XL?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
My official power brick can no longer be used. I have a power brick that came with my Moto X Play in which I can plug USB cables. Is that safe to use on my Pixel XL?
The cable that came with your pixel is usb c on both ends. If you have a compatible cable it may work but you would lose fast charging.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Great thanks! I just returned two devices one after the other that seem to have been broken by the charging brick (both my original and replacement devices that both stopped charging after using the brick). So let's just say I'm not using this brick ever again and that I'm a little worried about charging problems.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Can you get Google to send you a replacement brick?

No, they said it's not the brick and that I can either trust the one that I have or buy a new one. But the fact remains that in a period of two weeks, two different devices stopped charging after using that brick. So there's no way I'm using that thing again. The whole return process was so complicated (they had a 'bug') that I'd rather spend a bit of money and save me the trouble.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No, they said it's not the brick and that I can either trust the one that I have or buy a new one. But the fact remains that in a period of two weeks, two different devices stopped charging after using that brick. So there's no way I'm using that thing again. The whole return process was so complicated (they had a 'bug') that I'd rather spend a bit of money and save me the trouble.

I would just tell them that brick doesn't charge at all

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
There's a lot of quality USB -C PD wall chargers on Amazon. 2 names of the to of my head is Anker and Aukey. I have bought extra wall chargers to travel with. I also have purchased a couple that have one USB C PD port and a second USB A port that will charge another phone using a micro USB cord up to 2.4 mAmp. If you need s I need suggestions feel free to send me a private message.
In regards to replacing your USB C to USB C cords I have followed a lot of Benson Leung's research and the most inexpensive but quality cords in 3ft and 6ft lengths are from Amazon Basics. Again another option that is also in Benson's list is Anker brand. Again if you want links to the wall or car chargers I use frequently for both my and my wife's original Pixel XL and also got some for my mother who just bought a Pixel 2. Just send me a message

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I've used third-party chargers with all of my phones.

Anker
Aukey
RAVPower
Silipower
TronSmart

USB-C specifically with these with these phones: Moto Z Force Droid, Moto Z2 Play, Pixel, Pixel 2 XL

No issues using these wall, car, and portable chargers:

Wall/Home:
Anker AK-A2056111
RAVPower RP-PC059 (B)
RAVPower 4336669041

Car:
Anker AK-A2240011
Silipower 3-port 47W

Portable:
RAVPower RP-PB043-1
Tronsmart Presto FBA_PBT10B

I've even charged those phones with my Apple MacBook charger and the Motorola TurboPower 30.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
the fact remains that in a period of two weeks, two different devices stopped charging after using that brick.
I'd keep using it as soon as I received the new phone, and keep calling them when it stops charging (and ask to speak to a supervisor if you can't get the customer service rep to do a "we send you the new one first, then you send back the old one" deal), and keep telling them that it's the charger - until someone wakes up from that deep hibernation they seem to be in.

While it's very unusual that a charger - any 5 Volt charger - would cause a problem with a any phone made after 2010 (and probably earlier - I don't remember when 5 Volts became standard - but Motorola, for example, used 5.9 Volt charging before they went to 5 Volts like everyone else), it's possible that there's a bad component in that charger, and it's feeding a lot too much voltage to the phone. (Just using a charger that can supply more current, the Amp rating, won't cause a problem - I've been charging phones occasionally with my 5 volt 30 Amp power supply for years. The phone will draw the current it needs, but hitting it with too much voltage is a problem.)

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I'd keep using it as soon as I received the new phone, and keep calling them when it stops charging (and ask to speak to a supervisor if you can't get the customer service rep to do a "we send you the new one first, then you send back the old one" deal), and keep telling them that it's the charger - until someone wakes up from that deep hibernation they seem to be in.

While it's very unusual that a charger - any 5 Volt charger - would cause a problem with a any phone made after 2010 (and probably earlier - I don't remember when 5 Volts became standard - but Motorola, for example, used 5.9 Volt charging before they went to 5 Volts like everyone else), it's possible that there's a bad component in that charger, and it's feeding a lot too much voltage to the phone. (Just using a charger that can supply more current, the Amp rating, won't cause a problem - I've been charging phones occasionally with my 5 volt 30 Amp power supply for years. The phone will draw the current it needs, but hitting it with too much voltage is a problem.)

Thanks for the info. I absolutely would keep calling them but my last return took so much time and energy because of a "bug" that I'm just going to let this one go. Maybe try to tell them it's not charging, which is technically true. But I don't want to go through the return process again. Plus I've asked to speak to someone "higher" in the hierarchy and they told me I couldn't. I don't know if it's true but I have a functionning device now so I'm just going to enjoy it! ;)

I've used third-party chargers with all of my phones.

Anker
Aukey
RAVPower
Silipower
TronSmart

USB-C specifically with these with these phones: Moto Z Force Droid, Moto Z2 Play, Pixel, Pixel 2 X

No issues using these wall, car, and portable chargers:

Wall/Home:
Anker AK-A2056111
RAVPower RP-PC059 (B)
RAVPower 4336669041

Car:
Anker AK-A2240011
Silipower 3-port 47W

Portable:
RAVPower RP-PB043-1
Tronsmart Presto FBA_PBT10B

I've even charged those phones with my Apple MacBook charger and the Motorola TurboPower 30.

Wow thanks! That's a lot of info! :)

Also thanks @rxgadget! :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I absolutely would keep calling them but my last return took so much time and energy because of a "bug" that I'm just going to let this one go. Maybe try to tell them it's not charging, which is technically true. But I don't want to go through the return process again. Plus I've asked to speak to someone "higher" in the hierarchy and they told me I couldn't. I don't know if it's true but I have a functionning device now so I'm just going to enjoy it! ;)

Wow thanks! That's a lot of info! :)

Also thanks @rxgadget! :)

I would think they could send you a new brick and cable. I had a defective LG cable and LG replaced it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52