News It only took two years for my Pixel 6 to become a complete dumpster fire

blair6

Jan 2, 2024
Visit site
Took the phone out and realized the phone on one side was separating from the back. It was all because the battery was double the original size.
I've had 3 mobile devices (a phone, a pad, and an mp3 player) do that in 20 years. Probably a 5% failure rate for flat battery packs. Mechanical stress, like pinching or squeezing, causes a short in the layered electrodes that heats and evaporates electrolyte and that inflates the envelope. Or heat (the mp3 player sat in my back pocket while riding a bike in Arizona heat for a couple of years) just gets to it.

Mfgrs could do things to improve protection and reliability, but then phones might be 3x as thick due to armor and stiffeners, and the battery would be a thousand bucks itself.

blair6

Jan 2, 2024
Visit site
I also tried the Pixel 6. I do Lyft and Uber and I like my car to be a toasty 74-75F.
74-75F is room temperature and dead in the middle of the nominal spec for all consumer electronics. Maybe the sunlight made the phone way hotter, or some other stress got to it. It wasn't the perfectly lovely climate control you gave it that caused a problem.

aminya

Jan 3, 2024
Visit site
The worst pain of Pixel 6 for me is its Camera crashing and causing restarts preventing me from capturing the unique moments!

It happens just randomly even though I have tried everything from running in the Safe mode to cleaning the cache.

dougkm

Jan 3, 2024
Visit site
I've been a heavy user of my Pixel 6 from day 1 as well. Except for the fingerprint sensor issue through a glass screen protector, I've had none of the problems citied.

It continues to be a workhorse phone for me. I normally rock 2 Pixels, one for work and one for personal usage. When I got the pixel 6, I also got the 6 Pro. I've upgraded the 6 Pro to the 7 Pro and now the 8 Pro. Each time using the X Pro and the 6 together on a daily basis with heavy usage. Obviously I've seen significant improvements through the 6 Pro to the 8 Pro, but I remain very satisfied with the regular 6.
While each step from the 6P to the 8P was largely incremental, at this point the 8 Pro is vastly superior to the 6. Even so, I still really enjoy the 6, and most of my apps are actually on both phones, so I often use them interchangeably.

Reactions: BEaRebel

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I have yet to use an under screen fp sensor that works with a screen protector.

Google phones suck for heavy use, they are mid tier every day use phones. The p8 should be $4-500 and they need a snapdragon version that's $1,000. Google has way to many compromises with the pixel line.

Reactions: fuzzylumpkin

abelardo.mayoral

Jan 3, 2024
Visit site
I just switched from Pixel 5 to 8Pro. Honestly he Pixel 2 and 5 have been the best. I briefly had a 3xl and I have a 4 just as a scanning device and they are both ok. I was not appealed by the 6 and 7, and the 5 worked fine all the time until I got it replaced. So I am still keeping it as backup if anything happens to my phone.

kanx

Jan 3, 2024
Visit site
This is most likely a user issue, i would suggest clearing out your phone once and optimizing it according to your needs before using it. touch sensitivity is a uncommon its either due to physical damage or if you are using a screen protector check if you have the option for increased sensitivity on. the phone having 12 hr battery life is very good for how much you describe you use it. using wrong voltage chargers will overheat your phone and diminish battery health overtime. i have been using pixel 4 till now and i still have no problems because i take care of my phone, i optimized it to my liking tuning the settings and closing background apps that i dont use.

Reactions: RaVeN

zparihar

Jan 3, 2024
Visit site
It's pretty clear from the sound of it that you've got Malware...

I've been running my Pixel 6 Pro for the past 3 years and not an issue at all.

Running "too many" apps is essentially a non-factor because the memory management in Android is supreme.

Recommendations:
  • Stop visiting shady advertising oriented websites... Usually those pictures can infect Malware just me loading it
  • Make sure you don't use more than 90% of the storage space... When you reach that amount you'll experience performance loss
  • Watch it for phishing email, and don't click those links
  • Keep the phone in cool temperatures as much as possible. If it gets to hot, it will slow down the CPU so as not to overheat the phone.
  • Do not trust APK packages from outside the Play Store, F-Droid or the Aurora Store... Because then you're just looking for Malware.
  • Update your operating system regularly
  • Update your apps regularly
  • Start looking up other security practices on you own
My recommendation for where you're currently at:
  • Don't buy a new phone... You're right it's a waste...
  • Try a Malware Remover software
  • Better yet, reset the phone and start again... You'll see the performance is back to square 1 (assuming your on the original stock version)
  • Start using a browser that's not Chrome... I'd recommend Brave or Firefox. You'll notice they are lighter on resources

If you don't have time or can't be bothered with doing these security practices, consider upgrading to a different ROM aka Operating System for your phone....

Consider using:
  • CalyxOS
  • GrapheneOS
Both are simple to install (1-click)
Both or incredibly secure
Both will give you 1.5x your current battery life because it is De-googled by default and is loaded with alternatives!

Good luck!

Zubin

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Pixel 6....who still uses that old thing?
Yeah that's what my Daughter said (I thought I had her on the 7 ) Upgraded her to the P8 Pro but the 6 worked fine for her...She just wanted a better camera.

I asked her husband if she needed one and he said no. (With a laugh) I had to twist his arm to get his P3 last year to trade in.

fly00by

Jan 3, 2024
Visit site
I have a Pixel 7 Pro with max memory, less than 1 year old. It has been disappointing from the very beginning, although to be clear, some of the trouble may be the Fi cellular service and not the phone itself. I spent hours and hours chatting and on the phone with Google reps trying to get my phone to consistently connect to the network and actually ring and connect calls and get a dial tone. Often it would not connect to my home WiFi. Often I would be with a group of friends and be the only one unable to use the internet. Over the months these issues decreased, maybe due to patches and OS updates or black magic. My other major complaint is how the phone overheats in normal usage such as in my car while navigating. Yes, I live in Texas but the interior of the car is comfortable, and this has even happened when the outside temperature is 68⁰ F. You can imagine what happens when I'm carrying it around in 100 degree temperatures. Complaint #3 is how easily the screen has cracked: it's an insult to gorillas. I did not need a glass screen protector on my previous Samsung or HTC phones but you can bet my P7pro now has one.

Brendan James1

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I got my Pixel 6 Pro early on and loved it at first. But it became a total turkey after the first update! And then got worse with every new update! Fixes and patches would fix some things but break others. I took a chance though when the Pixel Fold came out and got that, cos I just loved the whole idea of it and how Google implemented this new form factor. I'm happy to say the risk paid off. Totally loving the Pixel Fold! 👍🏻

Charles Bosse

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
My Pixel 6 was not great out of the box. It has convinced me that I will likely never daily drive a Google phone and may not even bother getting one just to play with in the future. It has also convinced me that when I upgrade my Mum from her 4a this year, I should probably move her to a Galaxy A rather than a Pixel a.

I think at this point I'm viewing Google as a mostly B to B company who don't really care about end users because we make up so little of their bottom line.
Samsung is even more B to B than Google. I sincerely recommend looking at the Moto Power and Stylus series for solid, good value phones unless NFC, wireless charging, or absolutely top of the line cameras are essential for someone. The better battery, clean Android, and significantly lower cost are worth giving up a few gimmicks for IMO.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is even more B to B than Google. I sincerely recommend looking at the Moto Power and Stylus series for solid, good value phones unless NFC, wireless charging, or absolutely top of the line cameras are essential for someone. The better battery, clean Android, and significantly lower cost are worth giving up a few gimmicks for IMO.
NFC, wireless charging and updates are important to me. And I've been let down by motorola in the past.

I strongly disagree about Samsung and Google.

Reactions: 1raygin

hegemon13

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Wow, you lucked out. Mine was a dumpster fire in the first six months, emphasis on the fire with as hot as it ran. Battery life went from great to garbage. Fingerprint sensor went from "meh" to "I want to throw this thing at the wall, just let me in already!!" When they offered a basically free upgrade to the Pixel 7, I jumped on it.

Well, that was out of the frying pan, into the fire. Two weeks in, my camera glass exploded on a cold day. Didn't drop it. Didn't touch the camera. Had a protective case. Walked outside with my dogs, came back in, and the camera glass shattered. Had to argue with Google for three weeks and show them all the other early-adopter users with the same issue to get them to replace it under warranty. Then, Google had an issue where they couldn't push updates to Pixel 7s on T-mobile for 4-5 months. There goes one of the primary benefits. Then, an update came that destroyed photo quality. Anything other than 1x or 2x shots became a weird, watercolor-like mess with any zoom at all. They never resolved it. After 10 months, my display started flickering in brightness. Then, random corrupted rainbow blocks would momentarily fill part of the screen. Then, the display died completely. Another warranty repair. So, in less than a year, two major warranty replacements, a nerfed camera, mediocre battery life, broken updates for almost half the time, and inconsistent performance.

In the end, I didn't just leave Google. I left Android. For the first time since I went from my Windows Phone to a Nexus 4, I am out of the Android ecosystem and using the evil fruit phone I swore I'd never own. My family, who have been iPhone users for years, won't stop ribbing me about it. I cover the logo with an unbranded case in shame that I capitulated. And even with all that, it's been a massively improved experience that I cannot imagine going back on. Google really needs to get their act together, because if I of all people went to iPhone and prefer it, they're going to continue to hemorrhage market share.

Reactions: BEaRebel

lilmopeep

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
That's about how long it took my Pixel 6 to finally blow up literally. I am not a really heavy user, just a daily user doing the usual things... checking emails, a few texts and a few games of Gin, Backgammon and Wooduko. My phone was always warm when charging and after the last update it started getting hot! I didn't really pay attention until I thought the case was having an issue. Took the phone out and realized the phone on one side was separating from the back. It was all because the battery was double the original size. Turned it off and only time I turned it back on was when my new cellphone vendor sent me a new Pixel 8 and I had to download all my info onto the new one. That was two months ago and the new phone is much cooler while charging, the battery has good life and touchscreen sensor works great even with a screen protector. Of course it has a great camera and all the editing stuff to make a bad photo look good!
I have the exact same thing going on! I will NOT be getting another Pixel. As I hold it,I can feel the heat coming off it, and the entire back is poofing up. I was stupid enough to buy a second one (the same thing happened to my previous one). But not again!

Reactions: jrock06

breaky9973

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Should have hold on to your Xiaomi! I have a Xiaomi 11T since almost 2 years now and it's working perfect. And pretty good software support (although not on the level of Google and Samsung). Having said that, every brand has their lemons. Personally I had issues with the few Samsung phones I owned, but for example LG worked always for me, so I am also still using an LG V60 for work (and the Xiaomi 11T for more personal use). Both phones do what they supposed to do reliably and without issues. I am sure there are some good Pixels out there. Having said that I can't buy Pixels where I live, and I am done importing phones without warranty support so in the future it's Samsung or any of the other Chinese brands if they are still allowed to use Google services in a few years!

Jacec84

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
I'm still loving my Pixel 4xl which has worked flawlessly with heavy use since day one, with nothing but a new battery in late 2021. The number one reason is 3d face unlock and that I refuse to ever use a fingerprint sensor again, they are outdated trash in every form and android oems should all get on board with true 3d faceunlock, not this BS they call face unlock which is only a 2d image and an algorithm that no matter how much it's trained can't see in the freaking dark the way an ir dot projector and sensor can. I hate apple products with a passion and love having everything Google so easily accessible but when this phone just gets too old I'm gonna have to turn to apple, I work with my hands and no matter how trashed my fingertips get I can still unlock my phone blazing fast without fail vs having to get asked to use my pattern constantly through the day, no matter what fps or phone brand they're all horrible and should be left behind. This drive for edge to edge display is ruining the overall experience, Id live happily with a notch the size of the goofy 3xl if it meant I never had to use a fps again, and if you've never daily driven a 3d face unlock Pixel device you have no idea what you're missing, and if you did try the 4xl and hated it well you were likely doing something wrong, because other than a slight hit on battery life the phone is a masterpiece and for me has performed as such

cribble2k

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
My Pixel 6 pro worked very well for the past 2 years, however, my Pixel 8 Pro feels a lot more faster and better overall experience.