It's HEEEEERRRE

Status
Not open for further replies.

obidos

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Word of advise for those who will take the OTA; be fully prepared to do a master (factory) reset after installing it. It's usually needed after a major OS version upgrade to clear up wonky behavior and get things fully working again. :)

what does that mean to me in layman terms?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
what does that mean to me in layman terms?

OTA = Over The Air - if you're a layman that means "the way you will get the upgrade".

Basically, once the upgrade is complete, you may run into things that do not work properly. It may be advisable to do a "factory reset" after the upgrade is complete. This means your phone will be reset to a state similar to the day you bought it - you'll have to re-install all of your apps and they'll all be fresh installs, anything stored natively in the phone will be wiped out and lost (not stuff like pictures and music on the SD card, but any contacts you've stored on the phone and not on Google, things like that).

If all of your contacts and stuff are on Gmail, then honestly the most severe thing you'll have to do is reinstall the apps you want, re-log in to any online services you use, and re-do all your three-star levels on Angry Birds (grin).

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm running avast! and Lookout, and also using Google 2-factor authentication. Should I disable/remove those before I update and do a factory reset? I've read about some issues with Google 2FA when changing phones, and this will probably be almost like doing that. I know avast! gave me fits when I had to get a new SIM card.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm running avast! and Lookout, and also using Google 2-factor authentication. Should I disable/remove those before I update and do a factory reset? I've read about some issues with Google 2FA when changing phones, and this will probably be almost like doing that. I know avast! gave me fits when I had to get a new SIM card.

I can't remember exactly, but I heard about someone having problems after a factory reset with Google 2FA specifically. So I would definitely turn it off/uninstall it before accepting the OTA.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
or you could wait a day or two and get a full RUU which I am sure will be posted to here or android police or something...
remember you can flash a full RUU in hboot, and DO NOT EXCEPT THE UPDATE IF YOU ARE ROOTED, PLEASE EITHER WAIT FOR A ROOTED VERSION OR UNROOT TO EXCEPT THE UPDATE!!! PLEASE LOOK BACK INTO OLD THREADS SEE ALL THE PROBLEMS PEOPLE HAD BECAUSE THEY ACCEPTED THE UPDATE WHILE ROOTED RUNNING STOCK!!!

Just some friendly advice!

I never had a problem personally. I accepted all my otaz while rooted.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
You are one of the few that never had an issue. After every update there were scores of threads of people who's phones were stuck in update boot loop hell.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
You are one of the few that never had an issue. After every update there were scores of threads of people who's phones were stuck in update boot loop hell.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

How can you be so sure? People that don't have any issues tend to not have any reason to post that fact.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

ksb63

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
We've been lucky as well as both of ours are still running fine and have not had problems others complain about. I guess like everything wlse you only see complaints not the praise.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I doubt the Tbolt can handle an HTC Sensed ICS. Good luck to those who take the leap.

That could be the very reason why it took so long for the Tbolt to get ICS... making Sense work with ICS with the (now) limited hardware of the Tbolt. I'm still waiting for the person to say they have ICS on their Tbolt (via OTA) AND it works just as well or better than GB.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
That could be the very reason why it took so long for the Tbolt to get ICS... making Sense work with ICS with the (now) limited hardware of the Tbolt. I'm still waiting for the person to say they have ICS on their Tbolt (via OTA) AND it works just as well or better than GB.

I share that sentiment. I'll believe it when I see it. Hopefully we're wrong and it works just as well if not better! But time will tell. :) I'm hoping to see a full RUU so I can just flash it. That should be the ideal test with a clean newly loaded OS.

JVH1982

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Great news. Question though, I have rooted the stock rom and permanantly deleted some bloat under the (now false) pretense that it would not be updated. Will performing a factory data reset effectively un-root my phone or will it be a little more complicated than that?

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
The factory reset will not affect root. Check out trter's All-In-One Tool to unroot the phone so you can accept the OTA.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

JVH1982

May 8, 2011
Visit site
The factory reset will not affect root. Check out trter's All-In-One Tool to unroot the phone so you can accept the OTA.

Thanks for the tip. I think that is the tool I used to root it. I know that when I did, it also disabled OTA updates. Hopefully I'll be able to unroot successfully.

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

According to a post on FB by HTC, the reason for the delay was connectivity issues.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.