It's Still 4G...right?

ceff7711

May 25, 2012
Visit site
This phone is an EVO 4G LTE....meaning it operates on Sprints current 4G network and will operate on their 4G LTE network whenever that gets going...right?
Just because the LTE technology isn't out there yet doesn't mean this phone is stuck in 3G land....am I right? :eek:

venious

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Sprint has wimax and lte for 4g. If you aren't on lte, and the phone doesn't have a wimax radio...

Sent from my HTC One S on T-Mobile

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'll comment on the value of LTE to me and why it has little bearing on my purchase. I love this phone. I have WiFi at home and in every restaurant, shopping mall, airport, hotel/motel, and business I frequent. When LTE turns on here in Atlanta in the near future it will be interesting and handy for those rare times I'm without WiFi. Many places I travel to will never have 4G but WiFi is everywhere. Sprint phone service is excellent in Atlanta and everywhere I travel. And did I mention, I love this phone.

ceff7711

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I often use the wif-fi hotspot if the 4G is better than the local wi-fi in the hotel I'm at...which if there is 4G available it is almost always better. I may be sticking with my 3D....love it.

TonyLibations

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to make sure that 4G wasn't on and wasting my battery w/o a signal. But, I couldn't seem to find it. I thought it would be with the WiFi and Bluetooth settings. Am I overlooking it?

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm really torn over this. Most of the time, I use Wifi. But for 5 hours every other week, I have to just sit in a hospital with no wifi coverage. During that time, I like to watch Netflix over WiMAX. But I really want this phone!

rjl2

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to make sure that 4G wasn't on and wasting my battery w/o a signal. But, I couldn't seem to find it. I thought it would be with the WiFi and Bluetooth settings. Am I overlooking it?

Under mobile network in that same menu there is an option for network mode. Choice is either cdma/lte or cdma only. Choose cdma only.

ro1224

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
If you're using ICS, see if this works. On my Galaxy Nexus I follow this path: Settings > More... (Under Wireless & Networks) > Mobile Networks > Network Mode. There you'll see (should see) two choices "LTE/CDMA" and "CDMA" where "CDMA" should be set by default. Hope that helps.

ericj12

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
yeah i can wait. i love this phone regardless. i typically use wifi and the 3g in my area isnt that bad actually so ill be able to get by...

TonyLibations

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I stream Pandora in my car and the 3g was flawless. With my EVO Shift it would stop in certain areas, didn't have that problem today. Everywhere else I have WiFi. Honestly, I rarely even used 4g before.

Fraydog

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Selling the EVO with LTE is a better long-term move. That said, I can understand why people are confused with the alphabet soup of "4G" technologies out there today. It's going to be a better network once Network Vision is complete. Yet, that seems like a ways off.

hypercubexl

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm in a market that's supposed to have full WiMax coverage and it was still never really there. I skipped the Evo 3D so I don't know how it was, but 4G really just meant sudden death for my old school Evo's battery, I couldn't enjoy the speed long enough even when I did get a signal.

So, I will be fine with the 3G and Wifi I have been used to using all this time, and a brand new amazing phone, until they get LTE going, which will really be the test if they can do it right this time. If it fails to materialize again, that will probably be the dealbreaker, but I have hope.

Maybe I'm just old, but I've never been in a situation where it was life or death to be able to download a funny cat video at lightning speed. Yes if it is possible I would LOVE to have blazing fast data, and I know when I do have it I will become massively impatient with everything, but right now it's just for e-peen waving.