I've got an Atrix HD, ask me anything

Basis

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Here's a few question out of the top of my head:

How's the display, it's not pentile, right?
Second, how are the soft buttons, from the pr image they seemed to be on transparent background and not black like stock Android.
3rd, is there a fingerprint scanner like the original atrix? I liked that feature, specially for a "business ready" kinda device, from the security point of view

Thanks!

Here's a macro shot taken from Droid-Life's Twitter.

atrix-hd-macro1.jpg

As you can see, no pentile. Also, just about every hands-on I've seen has noted that the display is gorgeous.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Here's a few question out of the top of my head:

How's the display, it's not pentile, right?
Second, how are the soft buttons, from the pr image they seemed to be on transparent background and not black like stock Android.
3rd, is there a fingerprint scanner like the original atrix? I liked that feature, specially for a "business ready" kinda device, from the security point of view

Thanks!

Not Pentile. Display is good. One X makes you say "wow". RAZR Makes you say "ewww". This is just a good screen.

Does it feel like an ICS experience? I thought I read somewhere it does in fact have blur.

Is it the same very light moto skin that we have on the Razr now? Also what processor is this guy using?

Lite Blur, much improved. even better than ICS on RAZR. S4 1.5GHz

Does it have NFC?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Nope. Stupid, isn't it?

Is there a status light?

Is the smaller screen size noticeable compared to the GS 3?

Seems like a lot of wasted real estate.

Yes
Different. The software buttons make the experience totally different.

Signal Strength vs other LTE devices in low coverage?

Haven't been able to test LTE yet. Have to take a road trip this weekend.

How does the 331 ppi screen on the Atrix HD compare with the HTC One X?

It doesn't. The screen is good, but side by side the One X is still the best screen you'll find on any device. But, the screen on the Atrix HD does not disappoint -- you won't be returning the phone over it.

Will it blend? JK, but is the battery removable?

No

Hi Jerry,
I have couple of questions too,

- Does it have HDMI mirroring ?
- does it have Motorola's Messaging App , where you have all your Texts, Emails, Twitter, Facebook, Photobucket, Fliker, YouTube & LinkedIN in one place?

Thanks

Yes to HDMI mirroring, No on Moto messaging (This ATT branded unit has ATT messaging)

Looks much fatter than the razr and a bit fatter than the razr maxx. Can you confirm?

Thicker than the RAZR, about the same as the MAXX to the eye.

How would you rank it against the one x and s3?

I wouldn't :)
If you want TW, get the S3. If you want Sense, get the One X. This one runs Blur :)

duckbear

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
---Phonearena posted some benchmark tests on atrix HD. The scores seemed to be disappointed. How does the unit feel in real life in terms of performance?
---How does it hold in your hand and pockets?
Thanks.

giper54

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I would put it right in the mix with those two. It has the same processor as those two. It's basically a premium phone at half the price. If you lay out the specs for the 3 phones and compare them you will see that for $99 it makes perfect sense to go with this phone or at least give it a try. I promise you won't be disappointed.

How is the signal/reception? I love the one x but the htc antenna is the best in my office.

odiej34

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Any way to make change the default screen back to the middle? Having it on the far left gets annoying pretty quickly.( With the five home screens, when I push the home button, I would like it to go to the third screen)

Last edited:

iJITSU

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if I agree that the screen is just OK. When I first booted it, I put it at 75% brightness and opened Maps. Did the same for my One X and the AHD was clearly brighter and the colors looked more vibrant. Maybe my perception was off. I'll compare again after it fully charges.

EDIT: Definitely disagree. Just emailed one of the wallpapers on the AHD to my HOX, put both screens at 75%. The AHD is brighter with crisper detail, no question. Now, this may vary from unit to unit, but there is no doubt that on the devices I have, the whites, colors and details are better on the AHD. I'll post a picture later.

Last edited:

jl.carroll

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I picked a white one up yesterday. OBTW at&t is offering a free car dock from Motorola. This phone is great in the dock.

I have been debating the HTC OneX and GS3 for quite some time. This phone appeared to combine the best of both worlds for me and it was lighter on my pocketbook.

Pros
1. It has great build quality. Not as sexy as the OneX but much better than the GS3.
2. It has the same S4 processor.
3. A beautiful screen. GS3 owners should be jealous. For me it's hard to tell the difference with the HTC OneX.
4. Expandable memory. I have a 32GB card in it now.
5. Benchmarks are on par if not higher than some on the OneX and GS3
6. A dedicated HDMI out port.
7. I also have to agree with Jerry about the nearly pure ICS experience. The few UI tweaks are the best I have seen so far.
8. For a limited time at&t gives you a Motorola Car Dock for free. It's built specifically for this phone and it's worth at least $40.
9. I really like the Circles app and the information it provides.
10. The rear speaker is the best I have heard on any phone period! It's a beast.
11. There is a setting for the video camera that is for concerts. I'm looking forward to trying this out. I see a lot of live music and every Android phone I have used the audio is so distorted I can't watch the video. I'm looking forward to seeing how this performs. I'll try it out this weekend.
12. Speaking of sound, calls sound great.
13. I really enjoy swiping up on some of the apps to get a quick look at calls, messages, calendar, etc..

Cons
1. Sealed battery like the OneX. I was aware and already keep chargers in the car, at home and at work.
2. It gets quite hot if you are doing a lot of work.
3. It's easy to cover the camera with your finger.
4. The camera isn't up to par with the HTC OneX, GS3, or iPhone4s.
5. There is wasted real estate around the bezel. A larger screen or smaller form factor could have been used. I'm a big guy at 6'2 so it fits me perfectly.

Too answer a few questions above...
1. The signal is great for the Network and WiFi.
2. Camera is zero lag and it does have burst mode.
3. The calendar is great and syncs well.
4. Google Play Music is the default music player.
5. It has Swype

Nazzi Muhammad

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
@jl.carroll,

Thanks for that writeup. I'm looking at the same phones you looked at and trying to decide which one would suit me best. I currently have the Maxx on vzw and will be switching to ATT.

I'm sure you're still in the evaluating stage, but how's battery life been so far? How about reception? Are you in a LTE market?

jl.carroll

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is so so... I've only had it for about 24 hours now. I will report back tomorrow and give a better estimate. I use my phone a lot (especially since it is new) so that may skew the results.

Reception is very good.

I'm not in an LTE market but the HSPA+ is very fast. I consistently get over 8Mbps download and around 1Mbps up. I may be in an LTE market later this week and will report back.

I'm loving the car dock. Best experience I've had yet. The mics work great and everyone can hear me even when it's mounted a couple feet from my mouth. You can customize your apps in the car dock mode. I have mine set up for automatic so when I place it in the cradle it will auto text people that I'm driving. It will also read out your text messages.

Now if I could only figure out how to keep my music from being interrupted everytime I get an email, text or FB update. Does anyone know how to prevent notifications while listening to the music player? I've always had this problem on Android phones. I know you can just turn off mobile data but I still want to see the notifications I just don't want my music paused momentarily and a loud notification to be blared over my stereo.

jl.carroll

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
One other issue I have noticed is the browser taking a long time to complete the webpage. This is with the stock browser or with Chrome. It will run up to about 90% complete and take a long time to finish. My speed tests above show that it is a fast connection.

You can also sync the stock browser with Chrome to get your bookmarks. I actually like the layout of the stock browser. It also has a Motorola tweak when you swipe up on the app you see recent bookmarks/pages/etc..