I've got an HTC One (M8), you have questions. Fire away.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: I've got an M8, you have questions. Fire away.

When you take a "long Zoe" in that mode / app, can you still take the slider and drag thru the frames it captures, or are you just looking at a video and taking pictures from it?

Posted via Android Central App

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

When you take a "long Zoe" in that mode / app, can you still take the slider and drag thru the frames it captures, or are you just looking at a video and taking pictures from it?

It captures up to 20 rapid-fire stills from the start, which you can scroll through like before. So if you're recording a longer Zoe you'll only get stills from the first few seconds.

T Hsieh

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
is there a black theme like the sense 5 on the sense 6. I don't really like those flashy color.

Last edited:

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

HTC may have decided that Chrome is good enough. Or Verizon did....maybe.

Must be Verizon because I have the stock browser on my T-Mobile US version M8 and it is on the dock bar. (yes I have one - btw, it has no T-Mobile branding on the body)

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

I'm not Phil, but the 32GB is available and the standard on all U.S. carriers. My One M8 (T-Mo US) had 24.93 GB of the 32GBs actually available.

Fanie Dry

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

Question about the camera.

If you have focused on point A, and the picture was taken, and you then realize that point A's focus was a bit off, can you correct it? Or can you just refocus on a different object?

Chris Clark10

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
GPE multi-camera functionality

I read something that suggested that the dual-camera will work just fine on the Google Play edition, but can anyone confirm that HTC has baked the functionality in?

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Do the speakers being asymmetric throw off the look of the phone?

That's really been bothering me. OCD I guess :)

Tom Welfringer

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

The Dot Cover is made out of holes where the display shines through, right? Since it is an LCD display doesn't it consume too much battery if you check it often..? (in comparison to AMOLED)

And how is one handed usability? Since it's bigger than the M7 (in actual phone size)

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Question about the camera.

If you have focused on point A, and the picture was taken, and you then realize that point A's focus was a bit off, can you correct it? Or can you just refocus on a different object?
Just tested this and no — if something is out of focus in the original, it's out of focus. Ufocus is for adding bokeh/blur effects, not *really* refocusing images like a Lytro.

Hola Phil, what's the real available internal memory for the M8. Thanks :)
Around 10GB on the 16GB model.
I read something that suggested that the dual-camera will work just fine on the Google Play edition, but can anyone confirm that HTC has baked the functionality in?
Yeah. The HTC Gallery app will be downloadable on the Play Store for the GPe (with some features cut) and will let you handle this.

Do the speakers being asymmetric throw off the look of the phone?

That's really been bothering me. OCD I guess :)
Looks fine to me. I assume it's like that so the front-facing camera lines up more or less with the right side of the bottom speaker (some of which is a facade anyway)

The Dot Cover is made out of holes where the display shines through, right? Since it is an LCD display doesn't it consume too much battery if you check it often..? (in comparison to AMOLED)
Correct. But the display only lights up when you tap it. And doing anything too much on a phone will consume battery :)
And how is one handed usability? Since it's bigger than the M7 (in actual phone size)
I'm still adjusting. It's more comfortable than the M7, and feels way different in the hand. But there's no denying it's bigger, especially heightwise, which makes it tricker to hit the top of the screen.

Does the M8 have Qi wireless charging?
Nope.

MemphisGeek

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

I have the 32gb Verizon one. Not sure I will keep it. The phone is awesome, Verizon is not.
Bootloader is locked. HTCdev appears to not work yet either. Full of VZW and Amazon crapware.
Fitbit app is interestingly missing, however you can download it fine from the Play Store. Requires the "HTC Service Pack" app in the play store too before the sensors will work with the Fitbit app.

Have not tried my AT&T or T-Mobile SIMs in the device yet.

Tap to Pay does work!

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Must be Verizon because I have the stock browser on my T-Mobile US version M8 and it is on the dock bar. (yes I have one - btw, it has no T-Mobile branding on the body)

I'm not Phil, but the 32GB is available and the standard on all U.S. carriers. My One M8 (T-Mo US) had 24.93 GB of the 32GBs actually available.
How'd you get one so early? And do you know what colors T-Mobile will be carrying this time around?