Jump ship?

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else dumped their xoom for another tablet?
I just got the galaxy tab and I must admit everything about it is a lot better
The form factor, the software, touch wiz was surprisingly very useful and the ui changes are a welcomed refresh

What do you guys think?

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Nah man Xoom is still king. None of the new tablets compare to xoom, especially if your rooted. Samsung gives you one port and its propiatary, no thanks. The only tablet I'm interested in is sonys s1 and the xoom 2, whenever that is.

Xoom+Root = Perfect Match

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The form factor, the software, touch wiz was surprisingly very useful and the ui changes are a welcomed refresh

What do you guys think?

It's great you love your new tablet.

What do I think? I think you should post in the Galaxy Tab forum.

Carlesious

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm perfectly happy with my Xoom. I played with the Samsung in Best Buy, but I didn't notice any appreciable difference. It is thinner and lighter, but that's to be expected because it doesn't have the ports that the Xoom has. I'd rather have the built in ports than to have to carry extra dongles. I'm no bodybuilder, so when does a grown man cry about the weight of a 10 inch tablet. Stop being being a puss, if it's really that heavy for you, just think of it as a workout. ;-)

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I spent some time with a Tab 10.1, and it's OK but not enough to make me forget how much I dislike Samsung. The Xoom and the iPad are the only two tablets that don't feel cheap to me. Of course, at 6'2" and 250 lbs, I'm no small-handed, weak-ass sissy-boy. To all of those who say the Xoom is heavy, start drinking venti lattes and build up those arms!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
10.1 is nice and all, but I still prefer my Xoom. And when 4G upgrade hits, it should make Xoom that much better. However, I can't wait to see what's going to happen today when TabCo unveils their tablet.

techdan00

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Nah. King Xoom!
Its like getting a new device every other month. Flash, something new. 3.1 something new. 3.2 and sd card use, something new. 4g coming, something new. Google buying Motorola, uber long term support for the device! Really cool!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The game changed today. Motorola hardware is now the defacto standard for Android. Google was brilliant in their delay of acquiring a hardware platform. Most smartphones around the world are committed to Android. The OS has more than twice the market penetration of it's next competitor.

...and finally, people "with a clue" will be pulling the strings at Motorola Mobility.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
As both an Atrix and Xoom owner, I am obviously a Motorola fan. That said, I'm approaching this news with cautious optimism. While there is potential to for Motorola to become the undisputed best Android OEM, it is far from a lock. Like Microsoft is doing with Nokia, Google will try to not show too much favoritism to its exclusive partner/subsidiary in order to not upset the HTCs and Samsungs of the world.

It sure is curious how many software/hardware marriages are taking place within this industry. I suppose people are trying to go the Apple route.

Apple owns iOS, makes iPhones and iPads
HP owns webOS, makes Pre and Touchpads
Microsoft owns WP7, has exclusive deal with Nokia for devices
RIM owns Blackberry OS, makes Blackberries
Google owns Android, bought Motorola for devices

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

What do you guys think?

I finally got to try a Tab 10.1 "hands-on" while at the local Verizon store yesterday. My wife had decided that she wanted a tablet, although a smaller sized one, and had decided on the 7-inch Galaxy Tab.

Anyway, knowing that there would almost certainly be a wait at the store, I took my Xoom with me, and actually had a chance to put the two 10.1 tablets side-by-side.

The tab 10.1 LTE definitely has a better screen, no question. But, in performing identical tasks, side-by-side, they seemed to always work at the same speed - so I'm callin' BS on those who claim the Tab 10.1 is "much faster".

And, really, a better "form factor"? They have the same screen size and resolution, which is the only thing I care about. The Touch Wiz seems nice enough, but is not a serious improvement (and may even be a net "drag' on the system).

So, in my opinion, the Tab 10.1 does have a nicer display, and LTE (already), but it simply isn't remarkably better than the Xoom, and lacks the connectivity and additional storage that the Xoom offers (the two things which I care much more about than weight and thickness, or even in absolute screen quality).

If they offered be a straight-across, no-cost trade, the only reason I would consider the Tab 10.1 is the LTE (but, even then, I'd still have to consider the cost of replacing the nice leather case I have for my Xoom with a comparable one for the Tab 10.1).

Assuming that what we are hearing is true, and that properly functioning LTE is coming to the Xoom next month, then I'd really have no practical reason to incur any expense in changing to a less functional tablet (lacking SD, USB, and HDMI).

I'm pretty sure that while the Tab 10.1 is a very good device, I'll stick with my Xoom until a much better option is available.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582