Just cured my Nexus 6 Protective Case Woes!

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I needed a case because the Nexus 6 is so GD slick by itself, I was worried it would slip out of my hand. I bought a Spigen Hybrid case. Only to receive it and realize it's just as slippery and hard to hold as the Nexus by itself.

It was especially hard to quickly get out of my pocket to answer a call, without touching the screen and accidentally answering/hanging up. And the edges of the case were so slick that one time I pulled it out and it "popped" out of my grip and went flying across my McDonalds table. I thought, "there must be a way to make this more grippy until Otterbox comes out with a Defender case!"

Two words describe me, DUCKING GENIUS!

I took the plastic outer bezel off the case, scuffed up the entire outer surface (buttons and all) with a scotch brite/brillo pad, masked off the inner side with painters tape, and sprayed about 4 coats of this stuff on the outer surface of the plastic bezel:

Shop Plasti Dip 11-oz Gray Matte Spray Paint at Lowes.com

Amazing. Absolutely perfect. Very very very grippy now, easy to hold on to. I only did it last night, so we'll see how long this stuff holds up before it peels off... but for now, PERFECT!

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I needed a case because the Nexus 6 is so GD slick by itself, I was worried it would slip out of my hand. I bought a Spigen Hybrid case. Only to receive it and realize it's just as slippery and hard to hold as the Nexus by itself.

It was especially hard to quickly get out of my pocket to answer a call, without touching the screen and accidentally answering/hanging up. And the edges of the case were so slick that one time I pulled it out and it "popped" out of my grip and went flying across my McDonalds table. I thought, "there must be a way to make this more grippy until Otterbox comes out with a Defender case!"

I took the plastic outer bezel off the case, scuffed up the entire outer surface (buttons and all) with a scotch brite/brillo pad, masked off the inner side with painters tape, and sprayed about 4 coats of this stuff on the outer surface of the plastic bezel:

Amazing. Absolutely perfect. Very very very grippy now, easy to hold on to. I only did it last night, so we'll see how long this stuff holds up before it peels off... but for now, PERFECT!

Can you post some pictures of it?

Posted via the Android Central App

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I will try. Can I access the forums with the AC App for Android? Or do I need to download the AC Forums App for Android?

There isn't much to show though. It's just the bezel now has a matte black finish. Not the smoothest thing in the world, but not bad. better than "not bad" actually.

cgr1971

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I was going to do the same thing to an iPhone since they are so slick, but sold the phone before I could try it.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

lol... I did the same thing with the Ringke SLIM case... It was super slick but I really liked the case and I bought the same stuff (Except from Home Depot) and put a couple of coats on the whole case.. Gave it more of a leather like look but added a ton of grip to the case/device....

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That IS genius.... I have a Spigen Perfect-Fit (or Slim)..... whatever the hell it is called... the one with a cutout where teh buttons are and leave the top and bottom open...

Anyhow... I like the case, but it isn't that much less slippery than the phone. I might have to pick up a can on my way home tonight. Hell, worst case scenario is I ruin the case and I'm out $11....

As an aside... WTF is with Spigen's products on Amazon... here is the actual title...

"Nexus 6 Case, Spigen® [Perfect-Fit] Nexus 6 Case Slim **NEW** [Thin Fit] [Smooth Black] Premium Matte Finish Hard Case for Google Nexus 6 (2014) - Smooth Black (SGP11232)"

Slim? no.. Perfect? Nope... Thin Fit? Maybe... Smooth? Seems like it since they use the word twice.

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Update... The plasti dip stuff didn't work... Flaked off in less than a day, made a mess. Maybe I didn't put it on thick enough, but I'm trying some more stuff. Will advise.

Attachments

• 16475.jpg
    16475.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 92

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
This is the as seen on TV spray rubber stuff... Not a great finish at all, but hopefully stronger than the other stuff!

Attachments

• 16504.jpg
    16504.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 48