Just plain wrong

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
when we, as customers, purchase our smartphones, keeping up with operating system updates is what we usually expect. Especially when most people, who are not grandfathered in to a subsidized plan, either pay full retail for their precious devices, or are on a payment plan. Its time that Google treats ALL of its customers fairly. I realize that the nexus line of phones will receive their system updates first because thats googles own line. But why must we wait for our own carriers to pass this update to us when their "good and ready" . Google has just announced android N, and while we're all supposed to get excited, im still stuck on lollipop. NOT EVEN MARSHMALLOW. It's time for Google to either push out these over-the-air updates directly, or make carriers put them out in a timely manner. Whether you own a nexus brand of phone or not, if it runs android, your a Google customer and Google is making good money off of you. I've got an LG V10, and galaxy S6 edge. Not a 5 year old phone. I should have had my update to marshmallow long ago. Especially considering that I pay a premium for VERIZON WIRELESS, and not a lower grade carrier plan. Now many blame the carrier. But who holds the cards-GOOGLE. I know theres a way to "flash" the update, but I'm not into that as are 90% of smartphone owners, and we SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. So email google and tell them how you feel. Will it help? Maybe not. But then its time to get lawmakers involved.

Posted via Android Central App

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
If you don't own a Nexus device, then all other phones is not Google fault for the lack of updates to your phone period..

Posted via the Android Central App

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
If you don't own a Nexus device, then all other phones is not Google fault for the lack of updates to your phone period..

However they can take some of the control away from the manufacturers and carriers as we're seeing with N.

I understand Rumblee1's frustration, there are too many hands in the pot with Android, which is what makes it what it is, but hopefully this is a step in the right direction with N.

I get frustrated with the roll-outs of updates such as Marshmallow, it was a poorly executed one IMO and all are to blame for it. It turned my expensive flagship phone into a mess. As far as I'm concerned you can have M, I'll take my Lollipop back please.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
But having an android device, no matter the manufacturer, it's the adds on the operating system that pay the bills. On Google maps, Gmail, etc. Not to mention the money made in all the play stores. Very little, if any profit is made from the sale of the phones themselves. Just like printers. Most companies sell them at little profit. Where they get you are in the inks.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
However they can take some of the control away from the manufacturers and carriers as we're seeing with N.

Well, Google is trying to 'wall off' the core stuff, bits and pieces that an OEM and carrier have no need to worry about, yet get carried along with everything else when the phones are being developed. And whatever they are brewing up, I suspect that it will really only come into the play for security updates, not major OS revisions.... those may still be at the mercy of the OEMs and carriers.

The criticism Google gets for this is really unfair.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
carriers hold the cards (at least here in the US). If the device manufacturer and OS together can't provide what the carrier wants to sell, they look elsewhere. For every handset a carrier turns down... there's another (several) in line willing to do business.

Curious... knowing what we all know about the 3-way battle between handsets, carriers and OS. Why would one enter a deal with a major carrier expecting anything different than what we have? Its part of the ecosystem and "DNA" of the businesses involved. For me, if I were in the situation where I needed the latest OS updates I'd go with an unlocked nexus or similar and find a carrier that works best. Of course if OS updates were the most important factor I wouldn't have even left iOS.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
But having an android device, no matter the manufacturer, it's the adds on the operating system that pay the bills. On Google maps, Gmail, etc. Not to mention the money made in all the play stores. Very little, if any profit is made from the sale of the phones themselves. Just like printers. Most companies sell them at little profit. Where they get you are in the inks.

Are you certain about that? My understanding is Android apps and the developers are making less and less revenue every year. Forget where I read it but the $$ to be made in app development is in iOS, not android.

But back to your original topic, and play devil's advocate for a second. Why would a carrier hastily release an OS update thats unreliable?, or not what the majority of their customers want? You are making the assumption that a new OS is always going to be preferable to an old one... which is just not the case all the time.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Carriers make their money by selling their service, which is data/text and voice plans as well as any other add-ons they offer. They have a stake in making sure updates are right and don't affect the consumer experience. Also, the average consumer, those not viewing this Forum, don't know that an update to Android is available. All they care about is making sure their phone works.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Android is open source though so... If manufacturers want to add / modify and have to delay due to it.. Well that's how it goes. Only nexus phones are updates directly from Google.

Dancisfrake

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Google could easily impose a rule that says: you are free to use the OS but only if you support your devices for 3 years in a timely manner. I think this is nothing that would kill manufacturers but make them take the customers and the markets benefits (less fragmentation etc.) more seriously. Call me idealistic, but I think it is possible and really needed.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Google could easily impose a rule that says: you are free to use the OS but only if you support your devices for 3 years in a timely manner. I think this is nothing that would kill manufacturers but make them take the customers and the markets benefits (less fragmentation etc.) more seriously. Call me idealistic, but I think it is possible and really needed.

Curious... what do you mean by "support your devices for 3 years in a timely manner."? FWIW, I had a 3 year old iPhone 5C that ran fine on Verizon. I really didn't need to get rid of it, I just wanted to. My wifes 4S was 5-6 years old before she finally upgraded it in Dec 15, it to was well supported and ran fine. Her battery finally died completely.

g1ddy

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I keep on telling myself that I won't ever get a non-nexus device yet I fall for it everytime =(.
You can even get Android N beta on nexus devices and I'm still stuck on lollolololiipop!

eyalk

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
I was about to start a new thread about this issue, and then I've found this one.
In my opinion, carrier should not be allowed to install/interfere with device O/S, unless they subsidize it.
The reason for a delay is not stability issue, but matter of apps and other bloatware that the carrier will need to recreate.
I mean, who's using Verizon Navigation anyway?

My device O/S should not be controlled by the carrier, I should be able to bypass the carrier when I pay full price for the device.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

That's the very definition of anti-competitive behavior.

Google can never tell anyone what they have to do in the future in order to use services offered today.

The simple fact is that unless you have a Nexus phone the only Google software on it is Google's own apps like Gmail and Maps. Android is technically nothing but source code and a trademark.

We all need to talk to the people who took our money when we bought the phone, because that's who is responsible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174