[KERNEL - AOSP][HC3.1][UPDATE 6/2]Tiamat Xoom 1.4.4 "Full Throttle Baby @1.7Ghz"

dinomight

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok i flashed 1.4.0 using kernel manager, rebooted and /sdcard/external is now showing properly. I then flashed 1.4.1 and everything looks good. However turning on usb storage via the scripter script results in the same perpetual loading wheel, and no mass storage device being detected.

dinomight

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Looks like it's an issue with 1.4.1 (read on another forum that mass storage was removed in 1.4.1) I reverted to 1.4.0 and now the usb mass storage works. Might want to mention that on the first post.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Tried flashing 1.4.0, and i get an "E:Error in /sdcard/Tiamat_Xoom-v1.4.0.zip
(Status 0)
Isnstallation aborted.

I do get messages above saying Welcome to Xoom Mass Storage so it looks like it is reading the zip correctly. I tried downloading the file two times.

The file is fine, this is an issue with the busy box that clockworkmod uses, go to mounts & storage and mount /system, then try to install the zip again, you may have to boot back in to recovery for a try to or two, but it will take.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok i flashed 1.4.0 using kernel manager, rebooted and /sdcard/external is now showing properly. I then flashed 1.4.1 and everything looks good. However turning on usb storage via the scripter script results in the same perpetual loading wheel, and no mass storage device being detected.

Alright, is the usb cable connected while you fire the script?

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Ok i installed 1.4.1 and /sdcard/sdcard2 contains my micro sd card contents. /sdcard/external does not. I've added the scripter to show the mount usb app. However when i click the mount usb it shows the loading ring and it never finishes. Any help?

Remember, mass storage was removed in 1.4.1

ClydeB1

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Looks like it's an issue with 1.4.1 (read on another forum that mass storage was removed in 1.4.1) I reverted to 1.4.0 and now the usb mass storage works. Might want to mention that on the first post.
It was discussed in one of the posts here that due to problems on 1.4.0, BRD tweeted that he was going to remove the mass storage function, but good point, 1st post updated to mention this also.

dinomight

May 5, 2011
Visit site
First App

For people still on 1.4.0 that want to use usb mass storage, have i got an app for you. I found it tedious to use the recommended scripter. So I saw this as an opportunity to write my first albeit basic application. So attached you'll find it "Usb Mass Storage Watcher". The app listens for usb connections and when it detects one it will open the mount usb mass storage page after 5 seconds. No more need to open up scripter and manually run the script.

I'd really like to write it a a service so that it will popup a persistent notification just like the standard usb mass storage notification. I haven't quite figured that out yet. I'll repost if i do.

Special thanks to:
Kevin(at)TeslaCoil
LouZiffer(at)SDX
for their ShellCommand (su/sh) class.

Let me know what you think. (and feel free to add this to post #1)

-D

Reactions: ClydeB1

ScottPV

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
For people still on 1.4.0 that want to use usb mass storage, have i got an app for you. I found it tedious to use the recommended scripter. So I saw this as an opportunity to write my first albeit basic application. So attached you'll find it "Usb Mass Storage Watcher". The app listens for usb connections and when it detects one it will open the mount usb mass storage page after 5 seconds. No more need to open up scripter and manually run the script.

I'd really like to write it a a service so that it will popup a persistent notification just like the standard usb mass storage notification. I haven't quite figured that out yet. I'll repost if i do.

Special thanks to:
Kevin(at)TeslaCoil
LouZiffer(at)SDX
for their ShellCommand (su/sh) class.

Let me know what you think. (and feel free to add this to post #1)

-D

Once you run this, is it permanently running. Or do I need to start it after reboots?

Scott

dinomight

May 5, 2011
Visit site
The application doesn't actually run as a service or as a standard app. When it installed it registers itself with android, telling android that it wants to be notified when the ums_connected intent. Then any time that intent is sent, it executes my app. Then my app executes the command to bring up the mass storage dialog. So you don't need to do anything it takes care of it without intervention.

I was also looking into services and notifications, and I think I will have an app that acts like the standard android notification sometime tonight.
-D

dinomight

May 5, 2011
Visit site
The App Is Done

Ok, Like i promised here is the updated app. This one will basically function the same way android normally does. plug your xoom in to the usb and you get a notification that you can click on to bring up the mount usb interface. The notification is persistant and will go away when unplugged. The only thing i wasn't able to do (to match the default android interface) was to change the notification text from "Select to copy files to/from your computer." to "Select to turn off USB Storage" when the sdcard is actually mounted.
If anyone can help me with that one let me know. I tried hitting the ACTION_MEDIA_MOUNTED/ACTION_MEDIA_UNMOUNTED intents but when the media is mounted it looks at /sdcard and sends the unmounted intent. (it never sends the mounted intent). Anywho i think this works great and i hope it helps you guys out.
Copy this to post #1 if you'd like (i figure it would be helpful to a lot of people).
Oh and anyone who tries it out let me know what you think.
-D

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I love 1.4.1, and don't really have the need for USB mass storage, since I can still see my SD card when I plug the USB cable in. 1.4.1 seems very stable so far!

dinomight

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Usb Mass Storage App - UPDATES!

USB Mass Storage Watcher UPDATE 5-9-2011 NEW VERSION (new features)
Yeah for updates.
I finally figured out how to detect when something mounts the usb mass storage, so now the notification changes depending on the state of the usb mass storage. Finally it has the exact same behavior as android normally has.

I implemented the requested feature of automounting the usb mass storage. I'm not sure how many people would want it but it's there now (and kinda cool)
I've actually hooked in to the private api calls that android uses to mount usb storage (same call used in the native mount app). I figure that is a very safe way to do automounting. (and was a pain in the but to figure out)

Also out of necessity there is now an app you can run. This is just a page for managing settings. It doesn't have to be run for this app to work. Currently there is the "automount" setting and the "show notifications" setting. I figure with the automount feature this might serve useful on other devices for just that function, so those people can disable the notifications. I'll post this on the market as soon as i figure out how. (free of course).
As far as other devices go i tested it on my droid 1 and it works fine (for both notifications and automount). Feel free to test it on whatever you like.
Let me know if there are any other feature you want. I thought able customizing the notification (with sound, led, or vibrate) but that didn't make it in this build.

Also there is a dedicated post on xda for this app (feature requests, bugs, updates)
Usb mass storage app (for tiamat kernel) Update (5-9-2011) - xda-developers

As before let me know what you think. Feedback can only make this better.

Reactions: ClydeB1

jldeitch

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Can't seem to upgrade to 1.4.1

I rooted my WiFi Xoom earlier today, and all seems to have gone well. The system I used put me on Tiamant 1.3.1. I also added ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.2.8, and have no problem getting into it.

However, when I try to use "mounts and storage"/"mount USB storage", I can't see the SD card from my PC to place the kernel in the right place.

If I try to manually put the file on the Xoom, then use the "install zip from sdcard" option, CMR simply sits there -- I can't explore the Xoom to install from the 1.4.1 zip.

Sometimes when I go to "mounts and storage"/"mount USB storage", I get asked to format a 3MB drive on the Xoom. Since I don't know why it's asking me that, I haven't done so.

Anyone got an idea what's going on? I want to upgrade to 1.4.1, but am completely stumped.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Hopefully this update gets worked quickly so we don't have to go back first. Update zip is out but not sure if its rootes and all that fun stuff.

rvoelker

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
New Kernel released: -

BigRushDog does it again. :D. Updated kernel.
NB! As a result of stability issues experienced by some users on 1.4.0, the mass storage function has been removed from 1.4.1. If you still want to use Mass Storage and keep on v1.4.0, dinomight has developed a little app to pop up when a usb connection is made - see post#130 and #132 for v1.1 for more information (download attached files at end of this post - haven't tried them myself yet ;))

Kernel Downloads:
V 1.4.1 - http://www.bigrushmods.com/xoom/kernelz/Tiamat_Xoom-2.6.36.4-v1.4.1.zip
V 1.4.0 - http://www.bigrushmods.com/xoom/kernelz/Tiamat_Xoom-v1.4.0.zip - NB! Is buggy for some users
V 1.3.2 - http://www.bigrushmods.com/xoom/kernelz/Tiamat_Xoom-v1.3.2.zip
V 1.3.1 - http://www.bigrushmods.com/xoom/kernelz/Tiamat_Xoom-v1.3.2.zip
V 1.3.0 - http://www.bigrushmods.com/xoom/kernelz/Tiamat_Xoom-v1.3.1.zip

How to Install
Instruction for flashing Tiamat Xoom 1.4.0+

NOTE: These instruction assume you have flashed [RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.2.5 [UPDATE 4/22] "Fixed boot.img error" - xda-developers!

1. Reboot into recovery using quickboot or adb reboot recovery
2. Go into "mounts and storage"
3. Select "mount USB storage"
4. Your SD Card will now be mounted on your computer. Drop the kernel onto SD Card.
5. "Go Back" then go into "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard"
6. Navigate to the zip file and select it. It will now flash.
7. Back out to main menu and reboot.

Special instructions for v 1.3.1
You have to manually make a new directory called "sdcard2" inside "sdcard" prior to flashing. Either use your file explorer of choice or use adb...
Code:
adb shell
mkdir /data/media/sdcard2
exit
v1.3.1 and below (Thanks b0ricua :D)

Changelog:
Code:
[B]Version 1.4.1[/B]
- Mass Storage has been removed do to stability issues. Your SD Card still works just fine without it!
- More updates from Google AOSP.
- Please visit Tiamat Xoom Kernel Github Repo for commit history.

[B]Version 1.4.0[/B]
- Mass Storage now enabled in Android with easy scripter script. Thanks kcrudup for enable mass_storage_platform_device in board driver.
- Huge source update from tegra upstream. Preparation for the elusive Motorola update we don't even need now!
- Found lost L2 Cache patch. Linpack 65 and Quadrant 3000 out the box.
- Removed more bloat from kernel. Much leaner and meaner.

[B]Version 1.3.2[/B]
- Now flashable through recovery! No more fastboot nonsense!
- Upgrade to 2.6.36.4 thanks Cybertronicz!
- Merged several branches from Kcrudup into Tiamat master.
- Removed debugging bloat from modules

[B]Version 1.3.1[/B]
 - No kernel code modifications, just changes to init.stringray.rc and vold.fstab
 - sdcard2 now shows up inside sdcard so it plays nice with system and gallery
 - Make sure you follow special instructions in "How To Install"
I would appreciate it if someone could help me. I flashed Tiamat version 1.4.1 successfully. The SD card is mounted at the root directory and I can see the files I have stored on the card with Root Explorer. When I use Titanium Backup it still defaults to internal storage instead of the SD card. When I use other applications like Adobe Reader, it does not scan the SD card for files, but when I use Root Explorer I can select and open the file in the Adobe Reader application. The Xoom also does not show the additional storage when I go into Settings. Does anyone know how I can change the SD card mount location so the Xoom will recognize the SD card and the applications loaded on the device will use it properly?

TheDreamKing

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this was answered, but when I do the Mount USB Drive (or whatever it is) Windows asks me to format the disk. I obviously do not want to do this, so what am I doing wrong?

Do I need to have an SDcard in the Xoom?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hohenheimofdarkness