Kernels and radios

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
So I have the TB and am running Liquid Gingerbread (amazing btw!), but I do not have a custom kernel or radio installed.

I understand that a kernel is the "brain" of the phone but have no idea what a radio is.

So, where can I find the best kernel and radio for my phone?

Are kernels and roms something that I can just put on my sd card and install the zip from recovery? Like, can I just add them to my existing rom or is a complete wipe required?

Thanks, I asked a similar question in another thread but I didn't really get a response.

Last edited:

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: Kernels amd radios

So I have the TB and am running Liquid Gingerbread (amazing btw!), but I do not have a custom kernel or radio installed.

I understand that a kernel is the "brain" of the phone but have no idea what a radio is.

So, where can I find the best kernel and radio for my phone?

Are kernels and roms something that I can just put on my sd card and install the zip from recovery? Like, can I just add them to my existing rom or is a complete wipe required?

Thanks, I asked a similar question in another thread but I didn't really get a response.
Radio:
here ya go (needs updating but good resource):
http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php...otzWiKi-HTC-Thunderbolt-ROM-s-List-07-30-2011
and
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1048128
(The baseband information will let you know what Radio you are currently using. your baseband version, for reference, can be found under Home Screen>Menu>Settings>About Phone>Software Information>More>Baseband Version)

however, you will find some other radios within the forums of your favorite developer (some of Chingy's radios are not linked on some sites but can be found in the ROMs to which he supports/develops)
**note: ALWAYS compare the MD5Sum of your downloaded Radio to the MD5Sum provided on the download page/link BEFORE flashing it in HBOOT. If the MD5Sum doesn't match, then don't flash it**

you can install any radio by naming it "PG05IMG" and making sure it keeps the .zip extension, placed on the root of your sd card, flashed in HBOOT, then removed or renamed immediately upon startup (to prevent a bootloop upon restarting the phone next time)

kernels:
for kernels--check rootzwiki.com or xda forums for kernel makers. i always fancy Imoseyon since a lot of ROMs use his kernels baked into them when you download them. he just updates them very frequently and you can apply them over your current version of his stuff without hassle.
remember--kernels can affect things like camera quality, call quality & battery life--so be picky with what you flash. always have a backup ready in case your phone goes into a bootloop or starts going berserk.
you can install any kernel (no need to rename) by flashing it in Recovery--no need to rename it after booting up.

Radios &/or Kernels:
add them to your already customized ROM,
kernel= wipe cache,dalvik-cache
radio= no need to wipe anything.
but MAKE SURE the kernel you're about to flash is compliant with the ROM you're using---for example: don't flash an AOSP specific kernel for your Sense based ROM. use the developer suggested in your ROMs forum pages for best compliance.
some prefer the MR2 to the MR2.5 radio, some prefer the newer versions to the MR2, it's all preference and what you find works best for your coverage area & ROM/kernel.

remember: make a nandroid before flashing anything!

Last edited:

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok so a wipe is required for Kernel, but you aren't sure on the Radio?

And how do I find out which root I am? I just used the auto-root method that is at the top of this hacking forum and I think that it is MR1? I dunno

And, I clicked on your link but I am unsure of what all those numbers and stuff mean

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
#'s like these, found in that Radio link,
"1.13.605.7 CDMA and 1.12.605.6 LTE"
are the baseband version. that's how developers will refer to radios. those are Baseband versions, like i mentioned earlier.

why do you need to know what 'root' you are? if you have S-OFF, accomplished by the auto-root method mentioned, then you're rooted and that's not pertinent information for this particular instance :)

updated original reply: no need to wipe anything before flashing the Radio & with a better/more current list of Radios

Last edited:

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
S-OFF? Superuser? I am a noob bro be patient with me haha. I just know that my phone is rooted and that there is a MR1 root and a MR2. At least that is what I originally thought.

Those #'s and choices confuse me because I dunno what I need for my TB running Liquid Gingerbread. I looked but I can't find a clear cut answer

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
no worries:) we've all been there. no flaming you for asking questions. this isn't some *other* site :)

those are all different versions of radios released.

read through your LiquidThunderbread forum to see which radio pair people suggest using.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1048128
another list of radios--more clearly defined & user friendly

if you're running a Gingerbread ROM, use something like the last one,
"From the 2.11.605.0 RUU:

CDMA: 1.48.00.0817
md5: 71a8839b30882e238f6b68f9bd91b45b
LTE: has the same LTE radio as the 2.10.605.1 RUU
"
it should work. the others will, too---the ones shown for Gingerbread. but that one i listed will work with yours too, without having to decide between all of them. it's the most recent :)

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok I will for sure. I will go through it after class

ok. best of luck.
if you have to download 2 radios (one for CDMA & 1 for LTE, you have to flash both of them. no particular order of which one needs to be flashed first)

remember!
check md5sum of radio once it's downloaded
move to root of sd card, rename it "PG05IMG" and make sure it's a .zip
flash the radio in HBOOT, reboot system, then rename it or move it to a folder. if you don't--you'll be in trouble :)

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re-name both of them that......and then flash both zips.........and then rename it or I will loop. So rename it by taking my sd card out, putting it into my computer, renaming it, and then insert it back and re-boot. So basically, after both zips are installed.......don't even try to reboot

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
if you download 2 files--
move 1 radio file to root of sd card, long press it, "rename" and "PGO5IMG", reboot into HBOOT. flash. boot up system
go to SD card, move that flashed radio file into a folder.
then move the other radio onto the root of the sd card, rename it, reboot into HBOOT, flash. boot up system, move radio file into a folder.

sorry, should have clarified this earlier.

if you have a file explorer (astro, super es, root explorer works awesome), you can move/rename it by long pressing on the file name. no need to remove teh card & place it in a computer.

fyi: i wrote this in another thread, so i'm just gonna copy/paste it for you. same information applies for ROM's--

how to check an MD5Sum
1) download/install "hashdroid" from the android marketplace
2) download a radio (be sure to keep the md5Sum text on screen)
a) move the radio file to the root of your SD card (not necessary, but easiest to find it here when searching for it.
b) after flashin it, move it to a file called "radio" which you create on microsd card. not necessary, but i find it helpful.
3) open Hashdroid>"hash a file" tab>"click here to select the file to hash"> navigate to your downloaded ROM file, tap it> tap "calculate"
4) compare the MD5Sum in HashDroid to the MD5Sum shown on the ROM download page
do they match?
yes=it's a complete download. flash it.
no=it's an incomplete download. delete the radiofile & re-download. (multiple no's?=download link is bad. find another download link with new MD5Sum)

Overall process is as follows:

1) download radio files (check md5sum)
2) download Kernel & place on root of sd card for easy finding.
3) move 1 radio file to root of sd card, rename "PGO5IMG" making sure it keeps the .zip extension
4) reboot into HBOOT, radio file will begin updating, press POWER to confirm update. then reboot like normal
5) rename/move 1st radio file, and place the 2nd radio file onto the root of SD card, repeat step 3 & 4
6) once your 2nd and final radio is flashed & you're still on the HBOOT screen, scroll down (using volume buttons) to "RECOVERY", press POWER to confirm. you'll now enter Recovery.
7) scroll down to wipe cache & press power to confirm choice(s), --once completed then scroll to "advanced" & power to confirm, then "wipe dalvik" power to confirm, once completed-- then "GO BACK", power to confirm, and highlight "apply zip from sd card", power to confirm.
8) "choose zip from sd card", power to confirm,
9) navigate to the kernel file, POWER to confirm choice, POWER again to confirm
10) highlight "GO BACK", power to confirm, then "REBOOT SYSTEM NOW", power to confirm.

you're done

Last edited:

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
From the 2.11.605.0 RUU:

CDMA: 1.48.00.0817
md5: 71a8839b30882e238f6b68f9bd91b45b
LTE: has the same LTE radio as the 2.10.605.1 RUU

Just downloaded this.

I have another question. I can activate my phone tomorrow evening (bought it from a friend who switched from tmobile and had to wait until the cycle ended) but will I be able to from this phone that I already rooted and ROMed?

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Downloaded both radios. The first one updated really fast and the LTE took a bit longer but was fast. Rebooted, moved into folder...all seems good. Now, on to the Kernel lol.

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded and flashed a kernel from the thread and now only one side of my headphones work lol. Can I remove it or flash a kernel on top of it?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
hey--sorry

you can flash a kernel on top of it. you can't really "remove" kernels" b/c that would mean that you phone would then be without a kernel & trying to operate in the time between removing & flashing a new one.

same rule goes for flashing another kernel--wipe wipe wipe!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rj3005