Kind of disappointed in my note

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
You know, after all this time, the beta, and price I paid, I really am disappointed in this device..

It's just little simple things that I was hoping the beta would solve. Not to mention, work like they always had, out of the box.

One thing that annoys me to no end, is that the auto restart at selected times, has never, ever worked on this unit. It worked perfectly on my 10+. But not one, single time on this device. I reported it, within the beta, but their weird, cryptic system and responses(lack of).. Just ugh and yuck..

Then, little things like I can't trust the keyboard to work 100%. On this expensive of a device. Just idiotic..

Also, a new bug: I can no longer get into my camera settings. Cleaned cache and data, no go. Force closes(you know, God forbid them letting you install an update to their faultysystem app)..

And probably the most annoying thing at these Damm ads! I can't stand ads! They are so intrusive and overall disgusting in my book these days. I remember when they first began with the ads on YouTube(yes its just lovely to be in the middle of enjoying a video, only to have the screen snatched away to some dumb, and irrelevant add.. And oh yes, disturbing me, is really going to make me want to spend money on your product..NOT). Actually, even before that, on television..

I stopped watching televised TV, and began pretty much viewing DVD movies(and I literally ran, and changed devices, services, etc, because I couldn't stand commercials, ads, etc). And now, your bombarded by these ads on a 1500.00 device that I paid for.

I don't know. I know they are small and annoying things, but they're annoying, to, for me, sort of to the level of stomach cramping. Mnnn, maybe I'm just grouchy.. lol..

But, I find myself lately wafting to turn this off, put it in the box, throw it in the drawer, and pop the sim back in my 10+. Funny thing, is I've never felt this way about any of my Notes before(in the full lineup of notes I've had over the past, what 10 years, I've had all but the 9)

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm not disturbed by ad's on my N20 Ultra as I use adblock plus for Samsung Internet.

Maybe a free app you've downloaded has ad's built into it.

Perhaps put the phone in Safe Mode which disables your downloaded app's but let's your stock app's keep working. If the issues stop then this highlights a downloaded app as the possible issue. Come out of Safe Mode and start deleting your most recent downloaded app's one at a time until it stops.

In regards to your camera issue if Safe Mode does not help then remove your sd card as a malfunctioning one can cause issues.

That and consider a factory reset.

I wish you all the best with this.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Ads? Never had ads on my N20U.
Well I can tell you there are ads popping up on samsung apps that never used to. I've never had one just pop up on my phone out of the blue yet. I can tell you if that day comes I'll be looking elsewhere. I feel the same on ads as the OP. I buy the apps just to get rid of ads. Samsung makes enough money by selling the product. I like my samsung phones, but the day they start forcing ads on my phone is the day I start looking for something else.

To the OP, how are the ads coming to you... Thru their apps or just popping up out of nowhere. Also, if they are just popping up out of nowhere, are you sure they are from samsung. There are apps out there that do that and they are hard to find when you get a app like that. Just thought I would mention that, make sure they are from Samsung if they are just popping up, not a third party app.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well I can tell you there are ads popping up on samsung apps that never used to. I've never had one just pop up on my phone out of the blue yet. I can tell you if that day comes I'll be looking elsewhere. I feel the same on ads as the OP. I buy the apps just to get rid of ads. Samsung makes enough money by selling the product. I like my samsung phones, but the day they start forcing ads on my phone is the day I start looking for something else.

To the OP, how are the ads coming to you... Thru their apps or just popping up out of nowhere. Also, if they are just popping up out of nowhere, are you sure they are from samsung. There are apps out there that do that and they are hard to find when you get a app like that. Just thought I would mention that, make sure they are from Samsung if they are just popping up, not a third party app.

i never had ads... owh Samsung apps...only pop up i have is from the Galaxy Store. Like when i open it,it shows a recommendation. But thats about it.

I used to dislike Xiaomi so much i would go talk trash at their social media. But i found a way to disable those ads via ADB(disable MSA). And i have not seen any suspicious apps in my N20U through App Inspector. BUT i am still only October update -_-

and can you tell me which Samsung apps have ads? i would like to find a way to disable them. Thanks.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
i never had ads... owh Samsung apps...only pop up i have is from the Galaxy Store. Like when i open it,it shows a recommendation. But thats about it.

I used to dislike Xiaomi so much i would go talk trash at their social media. But i found a way to disable those ads via ADB.
I haven't had ads myself, my brother gets them on some of their apps now that he didn't before. I do everything I can do to get rid of ads, I hate them.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not disturbed by ad's on my N20 Ultra as I use adblock plus for Samsung Internet.

Maybe a free app you've downloaded has ad's built into it.

Perhaps put the phone in Safe Mode which disables your downloaded app's but let's your stock app's keep working. If the issues stop then this highlights a downloaded app as the possible issue. Come out of Safe Mode and start deleting your most recent downloaded app's one at a time until it stops.

In regards to your camera issue if Safe Mode does not help then remove your sd card as a malfunctioning one can cause issues.

That and consider a factory reset.

I wish you all the best with this.
Near with me, just waking up. The ads are on the Samsung apps, like the galaxy store. Ihonestly don't want to see a single ad anywhere.. The ads are not massive, but like I said, it's little things. But, IMHO, as much as they charge and i(we) pay for these devices, the little things become large things.

I never thought about these issues until maybe a year or two ago(which in hindsight, coincided with their price increases) I have no problem spending, just make it worth my while.

Once I begin seeing non functionon any level, it becomes like a festering wound.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Near with me, just waking up. The ads are on the Samsung apps, like the galaxy store. Ihonestly don't want to see a single ad anywhere.. The ads are not massive, but like I said, it's little things. But, IMHO, as much as they charge and i(we) pay for these devices, the little things become large things.

I never thought about these issues until maybe a year or two ago(which in hindsight, coincided with their price increases) I have no problem spending, just make it worth my while.

Once I begin seeing non functionon any level, it becomes like a festering wound.

I also have ads in the Galaxy Store. But thats about it... What other Samsung apps you have which shows ads?

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

It's just the stock apps. Like the annoying galaxy store app ads. At one point I want to say the health app has them also(same type) but I haven't gone in health in a while.

I will try safe mode for the camera, but why should we even have to do that? Yes, knowledge is power, but, aren't we paying enough to 'in a sense" not have to...?? I don't wavy to go the apple route of course, but...

And yes, for the internet, I run ad blockers and haven't had a an issue.

I'm more concerned(and annoyed now that I think of it), at things like the auto restart not functioning, the keyboard being a pain and making me sound like a tard, the camera settings not working and my SD card is good, as I have all of my music on it.

It's just the tiny and annoying things.. But this isn't an entry, or mid level device. Thus, I expect things to work..

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
As you can see by link I’ve been using Adguard since my Note 8 and still recommend it and still best $24 purchase I’ve made. First thing I setup on my N20U and I don’t get ads in websites or apps... except the Samsung Store app will still get an ad through.

I’ve worked with Adguard before and seems they’ve blocked them at times and I’d get peace for a while but Samsung seems to keep working around them so I give up.reporting them to Adguard to fix. But at least they don’t do the ads that play music at full volume the moment you open it like they did in Note 8 days.

Still use Adguard on my iPad Pro and for Windows machines I just install the Adguard browser extensions instead of the full program. Just improves your browsing experience 10 fold without annoying ads and load times.

YouTube ads I don’t think there is any app that can block those...gotta give Google the blame on that.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...-ads-sound-galaxy-apps-app-2.html#post6226042

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I also have ads in the Galaxy Store. But thats about it... What other Samsung apps you have which shows ads?
That's enough.. I open the store at least once a day(have to, since I can't think of the last time i had a notification showing an update), to be hit with an ad. At least for me. Honestly I don't use a ton of 3rd party apps(I try with all my might, simply because they do cause issues).

But.. I have to use some. But , if they are going to include(force down our throats) Google apps like YouTube, those shouldn't bombard us with ads either. And yes, yes, I know it's Google.. But still.. And yes, I use vanced to get rid of those ads..

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had ads myself, my brother gets them on some of their apps now that he didn't before. I do everything I can do to get rid of ads, I hate them.
And for the ads, maybe it's my utter disgust for them in that sense. But functions, they all should work.. And I've been messing with Samsung long enough to know that the "kitchen sink" approach is bound to introduce 'gremlins".

For example, that auto restart. It only annoys me because the way it doesn't work, it partially restarts the device. Which causes weird things like the keyboard is worse until I restart the phone. Or, I'll get partial dark mode, and say for instance, while I'm on here, it'll be dark, then, I'll open up another app and get blinded(typing in the middle of the night) but that sickening white mode! That's actually what happened, which caused my rant..

And mind you, I reported all these things in that beta. As weird as it was..

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
That does sound like a disappointing deal, starting with the $1500 price you mention (I paid about 1/3 of that for my Note20U, after trade-in, rebates, and free stuff).

The most serious problem you mention is the camera-settings crash, which sounds like either an SD card problem or a side-effect of the beta firmware. That sort of thing is why I don't sign up for beta software on devices I rely on.

I only restart my phone when there's a firmware update, so I haven't tried auto-restart. Almost all of the ads I see are on non-Samsung free apps and sites; Samsung Pay and Galaxy Store are the only places I encounter ads from Samsung. TV, video, and pop-up ads would be annoying, but I don't encounter those; for ordinary ads, I can simply look away.

You say you "can't trust the keyboard to work 100%". Which keyboard, and what's its problem?

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Well you do have the option to disable the YouTube app and go through the browser.
[Mod redacted] I Uninstall at least a good 10 apps, probably diskette just as many, because of ads. But the point is, as I've done for over 10 years with notes, I shouldn't have to. No one should..

Do I mind? Yes.. Is it the end of the world? If course not.. But, it does make me sort of feel angry as much as I paid for this thing. Especially when I habe a fully functional 10+ sitting in the box, next to my bed. That has more storage, ram, and none of these 'fundamental" and core issues..

Last edited by a moderator:

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
That does sound like a disappointing deal, starting with the $1500 price you mention (I paid about 1/3 of that for my Note20U, after trade-in, rebates, and free stuff).

The most serious problem you mention is the camera-settings crash, which sounds like either an SD card problem or a side-effect of the beta firmware. That sort of thing is why I don't sign up for beta software on devices I rely on.

I only restart my phone when there's a firmware update, so I haven't tried auto-restart. Almost all of the ads I see are on non-Samsung free apps and sites; Samsung Pay and Galaxy Store are the only places I encounter ads from Samsung. TV, video, and pop-up ads would be annoying, but I don't encounter those; for ordinary ads, I can simply look away.

You say you "can't trust the keyboard to work 100%". Which keyboard, and what's its problem?
You know I think you read my mind. That beta did much more harm than good.. For me at least, and I'm trying to not factory reset this thing for the 3rd time because of their beta. But, that is the first and last time I will ever think about a beta for a phone. And I've done beta and developmental hardware and software for other companies for years. But I have never experienced a beta as bad as this was..

And you know, when it boils down to it, the 1500.00, honestly, I could sneeze out that in 2 seconds with my other hobbies. But, I expect things to work for that amount of money.

For example, I 3d print. I recently purchased a resin printer. Out of the box, it had crazing all over the cover. I emailed that company 4 times and no response. I attempted to chat with them, only to sign in, and every time, it go to automatic time out on their end(I have fiber cable, so it's not my connection), and then finally, I had to rejoin Facebook(can't stand Facebook), join their group, send one message with no response, then, to post a topic, and have someone give me the name of someone that helped them. Then and only then, did that person help me... Now, is my printer bad, no, and was it cheap, no.. But, am I going to buy another product from them? OMG no.. Lol, their customer service is the pits!

That's sort of the feeling that beta and this device, for its cost has given me..

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's enough.. I open the store at least once a day(have to, since I can't think of the last time i had a notification showing an update), to be hit with an ad. At least for me. Honestly I don't use a ton of 3rd party apps(I try with all my might, simply because they do cause issues).

But.. I have to use some. But , if they are going to include(force down our throats) Google apps like YouTube, those shouldn't bombard us with ads either. And yes, yes, I know it's Google.. But still.. And yes, I use vanced to get rid of those ads..

Er YouTube isnt Samsung apps... And i use YouTube Premium.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
[Mod redacted] I Uninstall at least a good 10 apps, probably diskette just as many, because of ads. But the point is, as I've done for over 10 years with notes, I shouldn't have to. No one should..

Do I mind? Yes.. Is it the end of the world? If course not.. But, it does make me sort of feel angry as much as I paid for this thing. Especially when I habe a fully functional 10+ sitting in the box, next to my bed. That has more storage, ram, and none of these 'fundamental" and core issues..
I was just offering a solution, but it doesn't seem like you want solutions. So have a nice day and a merry Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator: