kit Kat update for Tab 3 8.0 wifi

bluzman

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I just updated last night (couldnt resist) and the tab 3 8.0 wifi is definitely faster and smoother after the kit kat upgrade. It doesnt seem to like sd cards too well though. It wont let my voice recorder app record to the card and also gives this annoying message in the notification shade upon every boot up about having an sd card installed.
also the battery icon is now white and it has just a general different (albeit slighly) look and feel to it. Overall I think it is worth going for the upgrade. If nothing else it breathes new life and interest in what was becoming a slightly old and increasingly more boring device.
May want to read this and the comments at the end.
KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Is your skpe working okay?

Besides internet speed, what are some of the other positives you have noticed?

Posted via Android Central App
Honestly I haven't used Skype in over 2 years. I don't even know if I have it installed on my tab 3.
as far as speed it is not just the internet that is faster, the whole device is faster and seems smoother to navigate.
also you can now create different user accounts, and also the multi window feature has a little easier to use interface when having 2 windows open. other than these things not really to much. nothing huge.

Hurrycanejohn

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I haven't used Skype in over 2 years. I don't even know if I have it installed on my tab 3.
as far as speed it is not just the internet that is faster, the whole device is faster and seems smoother to navigate.
also you can now create different user accounts, and also the multi window feature has a little easier to use interface when having 2 windows open. other than these things not really to much. nothing huge.

Have you noticed any difference in battery drain? Better, worse or the same?

orion430

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Further to my previous posts although I have still not got skype working yet I have not noticed any problems with my sd card operation, just some things need my permission whereas they didnt before. After using the new update for a little longer my battery life does seem to last longer. I am not sure where the skype program/data is stored but if it is on the sd card maybe this is the problem. I will erase the program and re-install tonight. It is nice knowing security is improved with the new upgrade.

orion430

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Well uninstalled and re-installed skype and all is now working ok. Must have been part of the sd card security changes in the update. I did try just re-installing skype but this did not work, it did need uninstalling.
P.s. the speed seems to be getting better as well. Forget what I said about regretting the upgrade, maybe I just dont like change too much. Just got to stop the notification telling me about an sd card being inserted every time I turn on.

Last edited:

DanPackMan

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Installed update this morning. No issues at all. Can't really see much difference, but I do believe my pdf ready apps are a little more responsive.

ungibbed

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Well this is what I got for the tab 3 7.0!! Hope this helps!!

That's rather disappointing. I guess the Tab 3 7.0" is the forgotten soldier or worse, having different internals than your average Snapdragon / Adreno combo makes this more of the redheaded stepchild that might see an update well into the lifespan of the Galaxy Tab 4 series.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 3 via tin cans and string.

orion430

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
After having the update for a while I am still finding things that dont work quite right. The latest thing is the hdmi adapter that worked before the update but seems not to work now. Checked the basics but still not working.
EDIT: it seems to work with another tv in the house so it maybe a compatability issue with just that tv.

Last edited:

Greg Robinson2

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
On my device the KitKat official update just appeared today when I manually went into settings -> about device -> Software update.

Have not tested it yet but hopefully it works well. At least there will be no more crashing when I try to respond to some emails.

Korky48

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I received a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (SM-T310) as a retirement gift last week and it had android jelly bean installed. the tab comes with GPS and on the weekend it automatically upgraded to KitKat 4.4.2 as it was set to automatic update. I then lost the GPS from the drop down menu. so GPS has disappeared from the tab. I contacted Samsung help line here in the UK and they could not give me a reason or a fix and suggested I reverse the update back to JJ. any idea why this happened and is there a fix?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin_Markov