Kit kat?

Splitz

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, Wake Lock Detector doesn't work due to permissions. Developer has a work around just isn't worth it, too much trouble.

I'll just wait until they fix it.

I noticed that Google Play Services still runs constantly in the background as long as Wireless Carrier/WiFi Location is enabled, battery drain worse.

GPS location services still the least battery drain as noticed on 4.2.2 and 4.3.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that Google Play Services still runs constantly in the background as long as Wireless Carrier/WiFi Location is enabled, battery drain worse.

This happened to me with 4.3 and I followed a suggestion to uninstall and reinstall Google Play Services. That stopped it from hogging battery. I keep location services on but turned off wifi location. Also, if I'm deep inside a large building (office building or hospital), my GPS struggles to connect and I turn it off till I get back to a place where it can be in touch with the satellites. This has increased my battery life to the point that at the end of two days I'm not dead yet. (Don't have 4.4 yet so can't say if it's any different there.)

daddy69

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Aaaaaahhhhhhh updated now phone won't recognize my SD card! Help please!?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Wayren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Got KitKat last night and installed successfully. Gave me quite a scare when I noticed several apps had gone missing, including Google Authenticator. Luckily upon reinstalling it all of my tokens were still present, but still confused by losing a handful of apps for seemingly no reason.

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Got KitKat last night and installed successfully. Gave me quite a scare when I noticed several apps had gone missing, including Google Authenticator. Luckily upon reinstalling it all of my tokens were still present, but still confused by losing a handful of apps for seemingly no reason.

If you haven't restarted the phone again. That worked for me. Also you can pull the battery as well. One very important note. Apps that write to your SD card will no longer work! See other posts on this.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337) using Tapatalk Pro

daddy69

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
No ooooohhhhh. That sucks. I got this phone cause it offered extra storage through an SD card. F Samsung for doing this!

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
No ooooohhhhh. That sucks. I got this phone cause it offered extra storage through an SD card. F Samsung for doing this!

Yup. Blame Google first though. They want to control the apps you use unless you choose to root your phone. I simply won't do that as I'm not about to screw my phone up. As for backups, I'll just use cloud storage instead of SD.

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Yup. I won't root either. How's the cloud work?

You just find a service like Dropbox. They offer a certain amount of space for free then you pay a small amount if more space is needed. You can backup encrypted files there for example. Of course, Google has their own, Google Drive. You can do a quick search & find many different providers.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yup but the official stance as to why Google does this is some files actually get corrupted from being half on the internal and external pictures kept getting eaten random things fc app crashes it was a mess for now on I'm just buying nexus devices I can't deal with locked boot loaders and crippled root screw that I've been rooted and a rom o holiday since freaking doughnut (1.6)

daddy69

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Yup. Nexus here I come. Or some other phone. But I'm done with Samsung. To much bull crap.

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
So...i can use the micro sd card for photos and video...just not apps right? or is the card now useless?

You can still store photos, etc as read-only. You can simply no longer write to the SD card. However, if the contents of the SD card are not backed up to an online server, cloud, they're toast if you have to do a hard reset, etc.

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
You can still store photos, etc as read-only. You can simply no longer write to the SD card. However, if the contents of the SD card are not backed up to an online server, cloud, they're toast if you have to do a hard reset, etc.

I am not sure this is completely correct. I am still able to direct the camera to take pictures and store them directly to the external sd card. Also, I use box and they are being backed up automagically.

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure this is completely correct. I am still able to direct the camera to take pictures and store them directly to the external sd card. Also, I use box and they are being backed up automagically.

You're right. I was in the mindset of backing up data pre-update & not being able to restore due to the SD card having Write privileges removed. That said, you definitely can't backup to an SD card unless you root your phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332