Latest Gear Manager Update has serious problems ...

philmair

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
This morning I get a message saying" Gear Manger Needs Updating"

Finished download then I get a message that the manager app has stopped.
Now I can't find the Gear Manager icon anywhere. I re-boot the phone ... still no icon. Reboot phone and watch (again) still no icon.

Look in apps manager ... Gear Manager not there.

Go to Samsung Apps and re-install it (it didn't think it was installed, so the "update" removed it without putting it back).

After re-installation the only way I could proceed was to "pair with new device" ... which forces a factory reset of the Gear.

Well done Samsung ... another software success story ! Do you actually have a software testing team ... or is that what you call "customers" ???

philmair

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Gear 2 Neo + Note 2 on EE/T-Mobile.

EE (UK) have not yet rolled out KitKat ... maybe that's the issue.

I've not noticed any differences. Everything was OK before .. still seems to be. Not found any additional options.

Piggers

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone confirm if additional notifications is missing? I can no longer select notifications for gmail or any other apps.

kennyg48

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
This morning I get a message saying" Gear Manger Needs Updating"

Finished download then I get a message that the manager app has stopped.
Now I can't find the Gear Manager icon anywhere. I re-boot the phone ... still no icon. Reboot phone and watch (again) still no icon.

Look in apps manager ... Gear Manager not there.

Go to Samsung Apps and re-install it (it didn't think it was installed, so the "update" removed it without putting it back).

After re-installation the only way I could proceed was to "pair with new device" ... which forces a factory reset of the Gear.

Well done Samsung ... another software success story ! Do you actually have a software testing team ... or is that what you call "customers" ???

Just updated gear manager same problem. Gear manager cannot find gear 2 although Note 3 has confirmed pairing with Gear 2. It seems that a factory reset of the Gear 2 is the only way to solve the new update problem

Last edited:

philmair

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Further update ... I am noticing a difference after the upgrade ... I am now getting multiple notifications of email messages. ie one new email shows on my phone, but I get multiple notifications on my Gear of that message. In fact it only stops notifying me when I open the message on the phone. But, it doesn't seem to do it for all emails .... strange and annoying.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Further update ... I am noticing a difference after the upgrade ... I am now getting multiple notifications of email messages. ie one new email shows on my phone, but I get multiple notifications on my Gear of that message. In fact it only stops notifying me when I open the message on the phone. But, it doesn't seem to do it for all emails .... strange and annoying.

You might want to consider contacting Samsung about these issues. either by phone or email--so that they can rectify the problems.

philmair

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Do you have an email address? The Samsung site is impregnable: I usually end up going around in circles for several minutes before giving up. It insists on you selecting device type, then doesn't offer up the right serial numbers, so you hit a brick wall. Might be OK for complaining about a disk washer, but doesn't recognise many of the international variants of their smartphone/wearable products.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Do you have an email address? The Samsung site is impregnable: I usually end up going around in circles for several minutes before giving up. It insists on you selecting device type, then doesn't offer up the right serial numbers, so you hit a brick wall. Might be OK for complaining about a disk washer, but doesn't recognise many of the international variants of their smartphone/wearable products.

i called them directly the day i got my Gear. They had English speaking techs (that's the good news), but they first guy gave me such bogus info that I almost sent the watch right back to amazon the same day.

Samsung

800-726-7864 is the number I called.

NoFaQ

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that when viewing email or text messages and I want to view on device, it won't pull up the messages on the phone anymore.

Edit: My Smart Relay box would never check before, but it must have been active. I turned it on now and the send to device is working now.

Last edited:

Doobls

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Actually this happened to me. Gear 2 and galaxy s5. I can't even get it to vibrate when I get a message. What the **** samsung.

LowIQ

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I had a ton of problems with this update! So I have an IDEA?....Why not set your settings for manual update and let others be the guinea pigs?... or you can be adventurous and do the update... I did just that today as it took a total of two hours of my time to get everything working again and many resets of the phone and Gear 2 Neo. everything had to be re-installed and even a restore of which I tried first and did not work. Live and Learn... I did!

Garghas

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I never understood where do that problems come from...
Never had a single problem with any of the previous Gear Manager updates and same for this last version. Do you guys have rooted phones? Altered roms etc? Because in my case, with everything stock I never had the slightest problem and I find that odd.

NoFaQ

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
i called them directly the day i got my Gear. They had English speaking techs (that's the good news), but they first guy gave me such bogus info that I almost sent the watch right back to amazon the same day.

Samsung

800-726-7864 is the number I called.

I'm curious what bogus info you were given from the Samsung Tech person.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
He said I needed kit kat to use the watch. Sigh, That's perhaps the most bogus info a tech could give a customer when calling about initial setup of the watch, eh?? :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

djm320

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe how bad this latest update. I've had my watch for only 2 weeks or so. When I first started it, everything worked just fine. Now, with this latest update, I don't receive notifications of text or emails anymore. And yes, I have the smart rely turned on. I'm on with one of their live chat people, but so far he hasn't fixed it.

philmair

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I never understood where do that problems come from...
Never had a single problem with any of the previous Gear Manager updates and same for this last version. Do you guys have rooted phones? Altered roms etc? Because in my case, with everything stock I never had the slightest problem and I find that odd.

No rooting ... just apps from the Samsung store.

Posted via Android Central App

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Same problem this week with the Gear Manager update ultimately forcing me to reset my Gear 2 Neo (ugh!) after a couple of hours in a limbo state where I had partial comms between my S4 (running 4.3) and the Neo but could not update or install any Gear apps. Uninstalling the Gear Manager (to allow me to re-update to the latest version) "required" (i.e., I could find no way around it) a Neo reset and reinstallation of all apps and stored music. Aside from a few "neat" features including taking calls directly off the Neo, built-in music player, and the fitness apps/pulse monitor - I really prefer the to wear my Sony SW2 Silver for everyday use and I only use the Neo during workouts and when I need the convenience of using my watch for taking calls when I need my hands free and I can't use a BT headset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance