Latest OTA rooted!

marclile

May 26, 2010
Visit site
correction.... they haven't figured out how to root the new OTA yet... this just shows you how to downgrade from the OTA so you can use the old root methods. and by the way, i just did this and it does work. thank god :)

aimzmarie

May 9, 2010
Visit site
i noticed many ppl in the comments were unable to see the flash page. has anyone successfully rooted with this method yet? i'm just a little confused about trying it this way since rooting my hero through sdk didn't include using flash at all. will probably try it after a few people report success

sracercelica

May 14, 2010
Visit site
i noticed many ppl in the comments were unable to see the flash page. has anyone successfully rooted with this method yet? i'm just a little confused about trying it this way since rooting my hero through sdk didn't include using flash at all. will probably try it after a few people report success

They had to do it this way because they are exploiting a security flaw within the flash pluggin.

aimzmarie

May 9, 2010
Visit site
They had to do it this way because they are exploiting a security flaw within the flash pluggin.

i get why they had to do it, my issue is that i've seen more than enough comments on the above posted link from people saying they do not see the flash page. this is why i'm waiting lol also, my mac is old and when rooting my hero i needed to use another comp....so excuse #2 for waiting.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
i get why they had to do it, my issue is that i've seen more than enough comments on the above posted link from people saying they do not see the flash page. this is why i'm waiting lol also, my mac is old and when rooting my hero i needed to use another comp....so excuse #2 for waiting.

Well if you havent rooted yet, and you installed the OTA, what are you waiting for? You might as well try it.

sracercelica

May 14, 2010
Visit site
If you read thru the thread, there is another site that you can direct your phone to. I believe any site with flash will work. I will be attempting this as soon as I get home from work.

aimzmarie

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Well if you havent rooted yet, and you installed the OTA, what are you waiting for? You might as well try it.
i just stated what i'm waiting for! LOL i'm waiting for more people to come on these boards and say it worked for ppl with the new OTA but more importantly i'm waiting until i can access another computer. i guess because when i rooted my hero i did it all manually w/sdk.

since i haven't even read up on rooting the evo....i'm assuming once i do this flash page where it removes my OTA, am i then able to use any root method? i want a full root but i am currently using a powerbook g4 and when rooting my hero was unable to use this laptop.

i've read about the one clicks but they don't seem to be full root? maybe i'm wrong. i've spent too much time in the stock rom boards :(

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
i just stated what i'm waiting for! LOL i'm waiting for more people to come on these boards and say it worked for ppl with the new OTA but more importantly i'm waiting until i can access another computer. i guess because when i rooted my hero i did it all manually w/sdk.

since i haven't even read up on rooting the evo....i'm assuming once i do this flash page where it removes my OTA, am i then able to use any root method? i want a full root but i am currently using a powerbook g4 and when rooting my hero was unable to use this laptop.

i've read about the one clicks but they don't seem to be full root? maybe i'm wrong. i've spent too much time in the stock rom boards :(

From what i have read, this doesn't downgrade you and let you then follow another root process. If you follow the method as listed, you will be fully rooted afterwards. You can then flash any custom image/recovery you'd like.

Here are the steps you need to follow, Credit to the awesome people at XDA

Video Tutorial

Click here for video

Again, I apologize if my video tutorial seems a little off, Im not a teacher.. lol

Files Needed:
hackfiles.zp Credit - SteelH and Anonymous
eng-PC36IMG.zip - Credit Toastcfh & sdx-downloads.com
recovery-RA-evo-v1.7.0.1.img - Credit Amon_RA and androidspin.com

1. Extract files from hackfiles.zip. Place all the files from the hackfiles.zip along with eng-PC36IMG.zip and recovery-RA-evo-v1.7.0.1.img on your /sdcard

2. Rename eng-PC36IMG.zip to PC36IMG.zip

3. Rename recovery-RA-evo-v1.7.0.1.img to recovery.img

4. On your phone Press Menu > Settings > Privacy > Factory Reset

Once your phone is back on the home screen goto:
Menu > Settings > Applications > Development

Make sure that USB Debugging is enabled / checked.

5. Now open a command prompt and type:

Code:
adb shell
sh /sdcard/part1

Power off your phone via the power menu.

6. Once you're back in your home screen do:
Code:
adb shell
sh /sdcard/part1

and this time navigate to:
Code:
http://bit.ly/d1E7Sn
Choose the first game on top.

Once it says reboot and run part2, type:
Code:
reboot

7. While the HTC EVO 4G screen is showing type:
Code:
adb shell /data/local/part2

and you should see it say
Code:
part2 is scanning

Then a few more seconds
Code:
crw-rw-rw- root     root      90,   2 2010-07-05 19:37 mtd1

8. Once back at the home screen type:
Code:
adb shell
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/local/flash_image
chmod 755 /data/local/flash_image
/data/local/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img

9. Power off your phone then Hold Volume down + Power until you get to the white screen.

10. Press Volume Up to flash update, this should take a few minutes... Once its down Press Volume UP to reboot...

11. Once back at the Home screen type:
Code:
adb shell
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
chmod 755 /data/flash_image
/data/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
reboot recovery

Thats ALL!
DO NOT ACCEPT OTA's ANYMORE! EVEN IF IT SAY ITS FROYO, GINGERBREAD OR PANCAKES. COME TO XDA AND READ!!

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I dont even know where to begin with all of this adb stuff. Is there a simpler unrevoked version? Where and how do you get this adb, it is assumed that people know where to download it.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I dont even know where to begin with all of this adb stuff. Is there a simpler unrevoked version? Where and how do you get this adb, it is assumed that people know where to download it.

Ummm....

1. Rooting isn't supposed to be easy. Its to allow advanced controls and features of a device that are locked down by the manufacturer to prevent basic users from accidentally messing something up. We are very thankful the dev's at unrevoked, and simple root put together a "one button" rooting methods.

If you don't even know what adb is, or how to run adb commands i would say that root may not be for you.

But all of that aside. If you installed the OTA, The above is the method to follow. No easy way out. But i promise if you read all of it, look at the links bellow, and do accomplish root in this manner. You will be thankful if nothing else for the new knowledge you have learned.

2. http://forum.androidcentral.com/hacking/18588-adb-basics-windows-only.html

3. http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-your-htc-evo-install-clockwork-recovery.html (Broken Now, but still worth reading)

aimzmarie

May 9, 2010
Visit site
It's definitely easy but when using my powerbook for rooting my hero, I couldn't finish the last steps through adb. I had to use another computer. I'm assuming this is the same situation now.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Ummm....

1. Rooting isn't supposed to be easy. Its to allow advanced controls and features of a device that are locked down by the manufacturer to prevent basic users from accidentally messing something up. We are very thankful the dev's at unrevoked, and simple root put together a "one button" rooting methods.

If you don't even know what adb is, or how to run adb commands i would say that root may not be for you.

But all of that aside. If you installed the OTA, The above is the method to follow. No easy way out. But i promise if you read all of it, look at the links bellow, and do accomplish root in this manner. You will be thankful if nothing else for the new knowledge you have learned.

2. http://forum.androidcentral.com/hacking/18588-adb-basics-windows-only.html

3. http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-your-htc-evo-install-clockwork-recovery.html (Broken Now, but still worth reading)

Ummmmmmmm......Thanks for the info, but please dont try to insult my intelligence. I am pretty computer literate. This is my first android phone so all of these acronyms, cooked roms, etc. sounds foreign to me.

Now that I have gotten that out of the way. I guess I will go about it the long way. Again thanks, but choose your words carefully. K thanks bye! :D

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Ummmmmmmm......Thanks for the info, but please dont try to insult my intelligence. I am pretty computer literate. This is my first android phone so all of these acronyms, cooked roms, etc. sounds foreign to me.

Now that I have gotten that out of the way. I guess I will go about it the long way. Again thanks, but choose your words carefully. K thanks bye! :D

I never insulted your intelegance, but when you write, "Where and how do you get this adb, it is assumed that people know where to download it." It leads me to believe that you don't remotely know what adb is.

Not that i'm holding that against you. I had to learn form Rufflez and Beezy also. It was just something to keep in mind. Maybe you should be the one who needs to choose their words better.

John Kotches

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Pardon my n00b question here...

How do you mount /sdcard as read/write when you don't have root to begin with? I've tried with both disk drive and charge only selected and neither get me root.

No problem with the shell commands themselves, but without a method to mount /sdcard as RW I can't progress.

Or is the root of the mounted phone /sdcard, ie when mounted as a disk drive, is /sdcard the root of the mounted device. This would be either /Volumes/``VOL_NAME'' on MACOS or DRIVE_LETTER: for Windows?

Yeah, I know pretty basic but it's not clear to me.

Added on edit:

Okay, pulled up as /Volumes/NO NAME -- and I copied the contents of hackedfiles.zip over.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Last edited:

aimzmarie

May 9, 2010
Visit site

I don't think he was trying to insult you. Just genuinely concerned. The people here on the android central rooted forums are the nicest and most helpful that I have come across. I needed a lot of help with rooting my hero several months ago....beezy, rufflez, and liquidjesus (I'm pretty sure you were one of them) helped me tremendously without making me feel like an idiot.

John Kotches

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
That didn't work as expected...

I'm still stuck at the beginning, getting /sdcard to mount RW so that I can move across the files into their expected locations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21