Leaving iOS... Couple questions

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Wow.... Freaking Awesome... THANKS!!!! some great fixes.

I checked out Pushbullet... PERFECT fix...

Google Keep... PERFECT fix...

Microsoft one note looks good too...

Thanks for all the advice!!!

Like it was posted above, try Samsung SideSync for your #4, besides being a native feature on the phone (No need to install additional 3rd party apps, if SideSync is not pre-installed, just download it from teh Galaxy App Store), it really works great for that and tons of other things.

http://www.samsung.com/us/sidesync/

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
My daughter is an iOS hold-out, but she is moving over to Android in the next couple of weeks. My Note 5 is being bequeathed to her. :)

There are great suggestions already in this thread that should get you very excited. Let me support some of those, and add some as well...

- Use all Google services. They are beautifully designed, perfectly integrated and so practical. These include:
-- Google Keep - I live in my Keep notes, both professionally and personally
-- Google Drive - so cool to have everything available everywhere
-- Google Docs, Sheets, etc.
-- Google Photos - talk about amazing. Please. Be sure to routinely ask Photos to off-load files from your phone to free up space
-- Google Music - I pay for this, and get You Tube Red included
-- Google News - often overlooked, I love how smart News is getting over time. It knows exactly what to put in my news feed.
-- Google Inbox - I prefer this on my phone. Sometimes on my PC I need to go back to GMail to find certain things.
-- Google Calendar
-- Google Now - among many other benefits, it provides perfectly seamless "hands-free" receive/send of texts while driving. Now provides weather, knows when I've booked air travel, reminds me of my travel dates, and more.
-- Google Authenticator - if you are not familiar with it, read-up, get it and turn on 2-factor authentication

- Pushbullet for SMS integration. I like it better than Mighty Text. Personal taste.

- Pocket to store things for later.

- Textra for texting on phone. Simply amazing texting app that you will probably love.

- When I need to take notes at work, I've typically relied on paper notebooks so that I can sketch, scribble and jot. SNote is a very, very undervalued app that is simply awesome for this purpose for me. I do a lot of design work, so capturing *anything* is critical. SNote does this, and syncs with my PC. Plus, I love when I endlessly get the eventual question from others I work with "Are you really drawing and writing on your phone"? :)

- Widgets - 'nuff said. Welcome to 2016.

- PocketCasts - get used to accessing netcasts without being endlessly tied to iTunes. Love this app.

- Tap to Pay - I love Samsung Pay. It will work on all of those POC stations that are swipe-only. Amazing.

I'll stop here.
Welcome to freedom.
-bk

komobu

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure if this is still an issue, but it may be, so please google what I am about to tell you. When I switched over to android from apple, I went a few days without receiving any text messages, even though I could send them. All of the messages to my number were intercepted by Apple, and sent to my iphone by wifi. They were not sent to my new android. There was some thing I had to do to notify apple to no longer process any of my text messages.

Bluehair62

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
BK and all others,

WOW... the community love is amazing. Not to say I was worried, but being so integrated into the eco system... I was a bit concerned about my top 4 items. I didn't bring up more only because I didn't want to ask for too much. Music, podcast, news... Are just a few, but BK helped me get over that.

I have a lot of moving pieces.... Along with owning a small business I coach Ice Hockey for a HS team and a Tier Club team. I am a part time teacher and Teach/Coach a HS Surf Team. I also work part time for a NHL team doing stats for all home games strictly for the home team Coaches.

Needless to say I am busy... Living in the apple world since my company took away BB support for it's Agents, I've always wanted to get away. I've tried a few times and went back before I was able to get comfortable. Now, with all the messages above I have the confidence to make the switch for good and have the freedom to make my device MY DEVICE.

I've been drawing hockey drills on everything you could possibly imagine. Drives my family nuts. Yes, Hockey coaches plagiarize for good reasons, but we also come up with our own drills at the strangest times. HA! At Surf Contest with my team... I need to keep track of who's in what heat for a lot of my participants...

I could go on, but seriously... THANK YOU!!! I will pay it forward in one way or another.

BH

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure if this is still an issue, but it may be, so please google what I am about to tell you. When I switched over to android from apple, I went a few days without receiving any text messages, even though I could send them. All of the messages to my number were intercepted by Apple, and sent to my iphone by wifi. They were not sent to my new android. There was some thing I had to do to notify apple to no longer process any of my text messages.

You had to disable IMESSAGE FIRST on your iDevice and remove it from iCloud. This has been a known issue and I thought it had been fixed.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You had to disable IMESSAGE FIRST on your iDevice and remove it from iCloud. This has been a known issue and I thought it had been fixed.

If you didn't disable before hand you can use this site to shut iMessage off.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

Pippinsky

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I now track my 16 year old newly-minted-driver son on find my iphone. Is there an app to accomplish this on android, even though he'll continue to be iOS? Thanks

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
One more thing. Take a look at Samsung's Smart Switch. It may be helpful in transferring data and suggesting Abdroid apps for your IOS apps

Posted via the Android Central App

Frenzytom

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
@ Pippinsky

Yes, there is an app created by Google called Android Device Manager. It tracks the phone remotely with GPS as well as the ability to lock, ring or wipe the phone if need be.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
@ Pippinsky

Yes, there is an app created by Google called Android Device Manager. It tracks the phone remotely with GPS as well as the ability to lock, ring or wipe the phone if need be.

I think the OP wants a way to track an iPhone location from an Android device.

I have not tried Find my iPhone from an Android browser, but I know you can sign into your iCloud on a PC.

davekr

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
As recently as a few months ago, Apple still hasn't fully fixed the iMessage issues. Even if you deregister iMessage or turn it off before getting rid of your iPhone, other people's iPhones won't react properly when it comes to group messages. It seems that once a group message is created on an iPhone, if it is sent through iMessage initially, the iPhone never bothers confirming that all of the members of that group are still using iMessage when subsequent messages are sent. This is why you see people suggesting things like "have all of your friends that use iPhones delete every group message thread that has you in it and re-create them." It drives me crazy that more of a fuss hasn't been made about Apple not addressing this issue in a meaningful way. It is clear that they don't care because it locks people into their devices. I'm someone that has been trying to switch away from my iPhone for the last few years, but after a few weeks of finding out that I've missed out on many conversations, I always end up switching back. I feel like I would need to get a new phone number if I were to switch from my iPhone to Android just so I could avoid this iMessage headache.

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
im also switching from iphone. is there an equivalent to facetime? my wife will be switching to the edge plus, and that's the biggest thing on her wishlist.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
im also switching from iphone. is there an equivalent to facetime? my wife will be switching to the edge plus, and that's the biggest thing on her wishlist.

If you have T-Mobile ( I think Verizon has something similar too), you'll have the Video Calling Native app integrated to the Phone Dialer, so it should work similar to what you are used to with FaceTime on iPhones. I use it all the time with my family, all of us have a latest Samsung flagships, two S7, one S7 and one Note 5.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I now track my 16 year old newly-minted-driver son on find my iphone. Is there an app to accomplish this on android, even though he'll continue to be iOS? Thanks

If you use an app it is possible easily. I use Life360 Family Locator, which is awesome. My whole family has it installed, and it works great. You can set areas up, and it will alert you when certain members leave or arrive in once of the areas, etc. "Joe has left home" alert, for example ..

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Lots of apps actually. As the other poster pointed out, on VZW it is built into "Advanced Calling" - if you are on VZW. There is also:

- Hangouts
- (NOT YET RELEASED) Duo app form Google - this fall some time
- Many others ..

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
My Son,his G/F and most of their family have moved from ios to Android.The one thing my wife was concerned about was the lack of facetime which she used on her iphone to keep in touch with our granddaughter.We all dowloaded Skype to keep in video contact and have had zero problems whether it is installed on my Nexus 6P or my wifes iphone 5. HTH David.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm also moving from IOS to Android and I have an additional question. How fast is Samsung/AT&T with Android updates? When do you all think Android Nougat would be available for the Note 7 on AT&T?

Thanks!

Oh boy.... You're going to HATE Android updates. I have the Note 4 right now with AT&T, and I still do not have Marshmallow which was released almost a year ago. The updates SUCK unless you have a Nexus. So gear up for that.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali