Leaving "Location" Turned On All The Time?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Normally, I turn off the "Location" setting to turn off the GPS to save battery power, but I've noticed that when you do that Android Device Manager can't find the location of your smartphone. Since I'd like to have this feature in case lose my phone and need to find it, I now leave Location turned on. Does anyone else leave their GPS turned on all the time? If so, any battery drain issues?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm testing my phone with everything turned on. All radios and syncing is enabled. I think that I'm doing fine with my AT&T S6.

faee585e112a2da5932237ca4f98a1ee.jpg

e990e1190f085dd070aaea0fa851decf.jpg

Beemed to you with the GS6

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Location services is on 24/7 for me and I'm still getting what I think is decent battery life. I got 3h 15m SoT with almost 17 hours before the phone died. The GPS should only pop on when an app directs it to so the battery drain shouldn't be to massive, all really depends on the app and settings. Google services like to call on the GPS most, usually Google Search/Now. Having the setting on to GeoTag photos will do it too.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I've for location set for using WiFi and mobile cell sites, but I may use GPS also (since Google Maps needs it) and see how it affects the battery drain.

Sander1101

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Might wanna turn off wifi so you don't get the cells and by drain glitch going on! Battery will be 20% better...
4h soy here still at 55%

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The GPS receiver uses VERY little current on standby. It's only when something calls on it for a location that it uses power. Leaving it on will probably reduce your battery charge time by 10 minutes or so - out of the 8-24 hours (depending on the phone and ROM) you're getting.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Would it not be an issue leaving it on all,the time if you are traveling say on a roadtrips and constantly roaming?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Might wanna turn off wifi so you don't get the cells and by drain glitch going on! Battery will be 20% better...
4h soy here still at 55%

Starting tonight I'll be turning off wifi when not needing it. Bare in mind that I'm not using a T-Mobile device and don't think that my battery is draining as bad with all my junk turned on. I'm riding at almost 6 hours SoT with the works turned on and syncing everything. (also consider that I also have done some gaming with the above screen shots and my SoT looks even better)

I'll post some screen shots when I'm done testing with wifi off and location also off later tonight or tomorrow.

quietkvj

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I leave mine on at all times. I have T-mobile and I just ran a test with WiFi off. Although when I had WiFi on my drain wasn't that bad. I just wanted to compare the two options. But anyway, with WiFi off and location on other got a little over 24 hours with a little over 4 hours SoT.

I'm very satisfied with the battery life

Attachments

• 1602.jpg
    1602.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 1603.jpg
    1603.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 1604.jpg
    1604.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 1605.jpg
    1605.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 99

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I leave mine on at all times. I have T-mobile and I just ran a test with WiFi off. Although when I had WiFi on my drain wasn't that bad. I just wanted to compare the two options. But anyway, with WiFi off and location on other got a little over 24 hours with a little over 4 hours SoT.

I'm very satisfied with the battery life

Excellent battery numbers. So much for worries about swappable batteries and the GS6 not being able to make it through the day.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Excellent battery numbers. So much for worries about swappable batteries and the GS6 not being able to make it through the day.
Kind of defeats the purpose if you have to turn off wifi to get those numbers. I'm on wifi pretty much all day at home and office. And many of us have data caps so don't want to constantly be using mobile data.

Sander1101

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Kind of defeats the purpose if you have to turn off wifi to get those numbers. I'm on wifi pretty much all day at home and office. And many of us have data caps so don't want to constantly be using mobile data.

They should fix it soon right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty