Leaving the Nexus behind

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I think one could argue that people are going the way of the longer battery life, and then you look at the fact that no manufacturer has made (or seems like they plan to make) another MAXX. Kind of odd, I reckon.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I think one could argue that people are going the way of the longer battery life, and then you look at the fact that no manufacturer has made (or seems like they plan to make) another MAXX. Kind of odd, I reckon.

I know, seems like slimmer is more important and all the new slick phones aren't even battery replaceable. all the phones were probably in the works years ago and its just gonna take a year or two to catch up.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I know, seems like slimmer is more important and all the new slick phones aren't even battery replaceable. all the phones were probably in the works years ago and its just gonna take a year or two to catch up.

Could be. You'd think this would be the logical step, but perhaps they're waiting for actual battery tech to improve? Who knows.

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Love ICS. Hate the battery life even with an extended battery.....and having to put airplane mode on and off to receive data connection. No apps checking for updates and screen on low as it will go still makes my battery be at 50% after 3-4 hours of minimal use.

Looking to sell or trade for a Razr Maxx!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have none of those problems. Good luck with your new phone. By, by.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine since launch day, and am getting fed up. Over the last month my battery life has gotten significantly worse, to the point where my phone is dead at 9-10 hours. (With the extended battery) The issue with signal drops is also getting more pronounced, and my signal has pretty much become 3G only in my town that's blanketed in 4g. I'm just done with it, to be honest. My family is going through some stuff right now, so I need a reliable phone.

Right now I'm looking at either leaving Verizon completely and getting a one x on att, or attempting to get a razr Maxx from eBay and waiting it out. I have an iPhone 4s I can use also, but that's a whole other bucket of worms.

Reactions: chriscw81

aparker2005

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Just got my replacement. A lot of the app icons on the home screen are just black blocks. I have to restart the phone to get them to stay normal. Ugh! May have to call them and try another replacement.

ac295

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus still has a lot of resale value. Just sell it and get a Maxx if that's what you want. Either way you are coming out of pocket a few hundred bucks.

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Why does everyone act like the extended battery is so much bigger than the stock battery? I just grabbed a spare stock battery, I can easily get through a day with normal use, and on the heavy days I have a spare clip.

I love this phone, and I haven't had most of the issues a lot of people complain about, maybe because I rooted and rommed (is that a word?) my phone... Hope you enjoy your maxx.

Reactions: SOTK

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
With the extended battery I'm down to maybe 2 or 3 hours. I go out to dinner with a fully charged battery and have maybe 50 percent left by the time I get back home. it seems like it used to be better than this, and now I feel basically tethered to a wall outlet.

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
With the extended battery I'm down to maybe 2 or 3 hours. I go out to dinner with a fully charged battery and have maybe 50 percent left by the time I get back home. it seems like it used to be better than this, and now I feel basically tethered to a wall outlet.

You have a wakelock, rogue app, or something going on. Your phone is most likely not entering deep sleep. There are threads on this subject in the Rooting subforum. Try downloading CPU Spy in the market to use as a tool in determining what's going on...are you entering deep sleep?....are you stuck at a higher clock speed? Also, is Google Maps, Facebook, etc showing an unusually high percentage of battery usage?

If not unlocked and rooted, do so and install custom Rom and Kernel. I'm a fairly heavy user and can go all day (at least 16 hours) without a charge.

Reactions: chriscw81

Angelworks

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Go to any forum on here for any phone - loads of people complaining about this issue our that issue.

My DroidX rebooted 3 times a day - dropped wifi constantly.

My GN is stable (it has rebooted once since I've had it), never drops wifi, and is fast.

My only problem is yes the battery life is a bit worse than the DroidX oh well.

Oh and the Mic issue? I dunno my gf talked to her parents for like an hour on it... No problems.

Oh and this is stock - no mods what so ever.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
ThunderBolt with how big of an extended battery? I could only get 2-3 hours of use with my ThunderBolt on 3G, and 4G was even worse. I could easily get twice that on my iPhone 4. One of the main reasons I upgraded to the Galaxy Nexus was for better battery life, but honestly it isn't much of an improvement over the ThunderBolt.

Stock battery, AOSP ROM and imoseyon's lean kernel on battsaver mode. No problems getting through an overnight shift at work (12 to 13 hours). This phone gets me through the 10 hour shifts with over 30% left. Im completely stock with just an unlocked bootloader. The major change is 4g coverage now where i work vs where i used to work.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I think Android manufactures are beginning to realize that those of us with iPhones get 5-7 hours of on screen time and don't have to be plugged in more that once a day on a heavy day. 2-3 hours of on screen time is not enough for what the device can do, and are supposed to.

You get better battery life because of the small screen. Yes I am on my iPhone 4s right now. But usually on my GNex which is probably the best phone I've had. The iPhone being my second favorite. I have friends with lesser iPhones and their battery life is a joke. It's all in the user I think. Plus all you need to do is swap out the battery. Something I can't do on this phone. Both great phones but the nexus has the edge on screen, lte, and better OS.

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
You know I just remembered I had this problem of having to use airplane mode to get my signal back repeatedly throughout the day.... then it stopped. Verizon changed my Sum but I think it was either an app update or uninstall that fixed it
Btw I'm stock still

Fa11ou7

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
To the OP, you have a rogue app causeing your issue... maybe not even an app but rather a service. If you downloaded and installed some sketchy apps from the market, they could have left dingleberries behind. I would try a factory reset (I know if you call VZW, they would recommend the same). Anyways, I know you probably are not going to listen to anyone's recommendations, so enjoy your Gingerbread MAXX.

THIS, I really must stress that before you get rid of your nexus to try a "factory data reset" in settings>Backup & reset. After a few months my GN was lucky to last 6 hours and was constantly restarting, turning off, crashing, overheating, etc. I was so used to my iPod and iPad I just assumed I could download any ole' app and be fine but its just not true (I made sure to only download highly rated apps to avoid obviously malicious content). With the reset my phone was lasting 48+ hrs with the stock battery, and minimal use. Now with my needed apps and regular use it will easily go all day so hopefully my scenario isn't just a fluke.
- side note -
I posted this in another thread and someone pointed out that all computers should be wiped clean and started fresh from time to time. He said to reinstall windows about every 6 months which I think is very extreme. I've been building my own PCs for 15 years and even without virus protection don't have to reinstall but maybe once a year. My point is, I am a little surprised that smartphones are so unstable. It seems like most people go on about how amazing the iPhone battery is but Apple has the phone locked down, a teeny screen, and only 1 phone model. Given those variables the iPhone better darn well have superior battery life.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cvetan_78