Lenovo's sales, Motorola's might the key for the future of both, earnings report reveals

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lenovo Shaking Up things Up Over at Motorola!

Probably a sound business move on Lenovo's part, but strange that they would announce this stuff right before an important phone launch. Yeah it's going to say,"Motorola" on the phone, but it is going to be a Chinese managed and manufactured phone.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I share the same sentiments as you guys ... the only concern I have in regards to the 2015 X is this part of the article:
"Other important cuts revealed to Phandroid are the software and services team, the folks who are largely responsible for all the Moto-bred features we love today. Moto Voice. Moto Display. Moto Assist. Etc — the people responsible for those are gone, and will be replaced by Lenovo engineers."​

I know it won't affect what's already in the 2015 X, just curious how it will affect future updates of these awesome apps! Hey, who knows, maybe some fresh brains on the case may improve upon them! I am willing to find out :)

"fresh brains on the case may improve upon them!" ... that's the only thing that concerns me. too often we see people feel like they need to justify their paycheck, which very well might be true, and they mess around with a good thing.

even the smallest changes to their subtle features can mess it all up. hopefully they'll just leave it alone (which we all know they won't) cause IMO it's perfect as is.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

So that article seems like a knee jerk reaction to the changes. If you follow a link in that article to one from the Chicago Tribune, it has this quote:

Ramon Llamas, research manager for mobile phones and smartphones at Framingham, Mass.-based market intelligence firm IDC, said the cuts do not reflect a lack of confidence in Motorola Mobility but rather an overall desire by Lenovo to consolidate responsibilities and increase efficiency.

Motorola Mobility’s market share held steady — about 2.4 percent globally and about 6 percent in the United States — from first quarter 2014 through first quarter 2015, which is the most recent data available, Llamas said.

He added that the device maker’s recent strategy to deliver high-quality phones at low prices is a smart one, especially given the news that Verizon is eliminating subsidized phones and contracts.

Not worried yet

no coincidence Moto's distribution strategy coincided with Verizon's announcement. they were obviously privy to that information.

Llamas' quote reminded me of Bob and Bob from Office Space!

rebretz000

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm just worried Lenovo will turn Motorola into another iPhone clone just like most other Chinese manufactures.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm just worried Lenovo will turn Motorola into another iPhone clone just like most other Chinese manufactures.
Same here ... Hoping they'll let Moto continue to do what they've been doing the past 2-3 years as Motorola has been receiving great accolades for the G and X. However, if sales continue to disappoint you can all but expect Lenovo to change the formula, and one couldn't really blame them - after all they're in it to make money! So, that's why I have decided to support the Moto we now know & love and purchase the 2015 X in spite of the news that just dropped. We have to support it now if we love what they're doing, because if we don't it'll definitely be gone before long!

G4'ed it!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

A couple of departures made known today. If you follow some of the active Motorola employees on Google+, Kirk Stromberg and Mark Rose have left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seth59