Lets Be Honest Here G3's Screen Isn't GREAT.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not surprised that majority doesn't agree with OP. Nreeldeep made a great point.

I love the changes LG made with the G3 especially the UI but base of some of the reviews I read. I think LG made a mistake with this 2K display, it did more harm than good. More importantly was it really necessary? I guess they just wanted bragging rights.

Having said that, I hope I'm WRONG when I pick it up tomorrow. :)

I've admitted this before, I think we all just get too excited with our new toys. Take mobilesyrup's reviews on the S5 & Z2, they rated the Z2 lower than the S5 especially in Display which I couldn't believe.

I defended the Z2, this was a 1-2 days after picking it up but after a few days/weeks when the excitement died down, I realized they were right all along.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well the guy joins two days ago... posts one thread and first post criticizes how the whites are horrible, unlively, washed out, and people... owners... have given their two cents and even try to provide pic where he doesnt provide anything else... i'm not surprised the majority doesnt agree with him either.

I'm not surprised that majority doesn't agree with OP.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Wow 5 pages of screen is great and ohhh no it isn't lol

Its subjective if one is happy great.

And if not then buy another phone.

IPhone 5s or Htc M8 or Oppo find 7 or One plus or the S5. There are plenty of choices available and cater to each of our preferences.

Enjoy whatever device be it the above or the G3.

Or continue the its great ohh no it isn't thing but what is the result?

Einstein's definition of insanity is repeating the same things over and over again expecting different results.

You won't get all to agree that the screen is great, nor will you get all to agree that its poor and washed out.

But please feel free to continue....

Posted via Android Central App

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Even with my droid RAZR maxx, I had a screen that had a green tint, went back and got another one with a normal white balance then needed s replace cement and the new one has s warm tint.

Sent from my LG G3 (tapatalk)

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Even with my droid RAZR maxx, I had a screen that had a green tint, went back and got another one with a normal white balance then needed s replace cement and the new one has s warm tint.

a green tint? thats odd. never herd about that, a yellow tint yes, but green no.

orangeman

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Screen is the most personal phone aspect so the value of discussing it is limited.

Objectively I can't find one thing wrong with this screen, but yet, as a G2 owner, there is something about the G3 screen that makes me not want to buy it. I can't put my finger on it because when I look at color accuracy, whites, contrast, they all look good. Yet as a total package, somehow it isn't compelling to me. I think this is what others are trying to quantify. I've never seen a screen like that. Normally, either you like it or you hate it. I've never seen a screen that I thought was objectively good, yet I didn't like it and can't explain why.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
a green tint? thats odd. never herd about that, a yellow tint yes, but green no.

I believe it was a common issue with the original razr and the screens. The screens also had black blotches that was very noticeable in a dark environment and if the entire screen went black, not sleep or off black but like a black screen for a movie. The razr had tons of screen tint issues when it first came out.

One other thing to note with screens, what carrier are you on?

I wonder if it's carrier specifics.

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I believe it was a common issue with the original razr and the screens. The screens also had black blotches that was very noticeable in a dark environment and if the entire screen went black, not sleep or off black but like a black screen for a movie. The razr had tons of screen tint issues when it first came out.

One other thing to note with screens, what carrier are you on?

I wonder if it's carrier specifics.

I had a galaxy s3 that had black spots that u can notice on a black screen.

I have att

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
i have to admit comparing the g2 with g3 and galaxy s5.
the so called 2k display isnt great... also there's no use for it atm maybe in a few years i think lf just rushed it out just to be the first..
the g3 screen isnt even great the colors are off the whites are horrible it seems so dullish even with full brightness.
dont give me that crap about ooh well samsung has super amoled to make the colors pop out bla bla.
well even compared to the g2 why is it so dull. also i am aware of the color adjustment setting it helps but nothing can change the fact that the whites are still off and it still kinda dull on colors.

I went and played with one in store and couldn't notice a difference between it and current 1080p devices. They all look pretty good, and for now I like what LG's doing, but it seems until content catches up it is just for marketing more than anything. Hopefully by next year more OEM's will have this resolution in their phones and there will be more apps and content to take advantage of it.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I went and played with one in store and couldn't notice a difference between it and current 1080p devices

Well.. .that's expected... The 5' range 1080 phones are in the 440 dpi range... that's REALLY fine. On a Nexus 5, I have to get in extremely close to detect any sort of pixelization... WAY closer than I would ever have it normally. The G3 is, what, nearly 25% finer? Yes, it is kind of overkill and it will probably always be, regardless of the content because your eyes can only see so much detail, after that, you aren't gaining anything. And yes...

LG probably threw the display in the phone as much to show off as for any functional reason.... but I am not going to fault them for it. If they put a 1080 unit in this phone and kept everything else, you would have heard "WARGARBL!!! NO QUAD HD!!!!???" and complaints that it was just a warmed over G2. You can't please everyone. Remember that LG Display is the world's largest LCD manufacturer, so there is an added incentive for them to kind of show off a little bit.

Look, they HAD to make some kind of noise... Samsung is dominant (though, signs point to the market balancing out a little bit) and upstarts like Xiaomi were gaining serious momentum... In fact Xiaomi passed LG in terms of market share. So they decided to go a little over the top and then market the HELL out of it and hope for the best.... and so far it's worked out pretty well. LG's sales even before the release of the G3 are on the upswing, and from the looks of it, the G3 is going to certainly help that.

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I didn't read thru all 5 pages but the only thing I really don't like about the G3 screen is when you are viewing it from any other angle besides straight on. The picture washes out and my G3 and G4 didn't do that. I can live with it though since 99% of the time I am looking straight forward at my phone.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
LG probably threw the display in the phone as much to show off as for any functional reason.... but I am not going to fault them for it. If they put a 1080 unit in this phone and kept everything else, you would have heard "WARGARBL!!! NO QUAD HD!!!!???" and complaints that it was just a warmed over G2. You can't please everyone.
This!!! Quad HD wasn't my reason for this phone. Build quality and time for an upgrade was why I picked up the g3

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Finally got my hands on the G3.

I agree with OP, it great but I expected more. The wow factor is not there.

Other than that I love that LG got everything else right.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Off work early and on way home stop by the reptile store and finally got to play with camera and definitely think from the few shots I have taken that it's an improvement over the G2 and don't know how they look on your screen or by uploading them but liking the screen and think photos look good and colors look good (i'll saw accurate :))... a lot different than comparing home pages.

Like someone else had mentioned, the quad display i don't think is most peoples primarty reason... but I think it's not a weak screen and doesnt take away from the entire phone.

3mb pics each at 4160x2340.
20140801_164028.jpg20140801_164044.jpg

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Well.. .that's expected... The 5' range 1080 phones are in the 440 dpi range... that's REALLY fine. On a Nexus 5, I have to get in extremely close to detect any sort of pixelization... WAY closer than I would ever have it normally. The G3 is, what, nearly 25% finer? Yes, it is kind of overkill and it will probably always be, regardless of the content because your eyes can only see so much detail, after that, you aren't gaining anything. And yes...

LG probably threw the display in the phone as much to show off as for any functional reason.... but I am not going to fault them for it. If they put a 1080 unit in this phone and kept everything else, you would have heard "WARGARBL!!! NO QUAD HD!!!!???" and complaints that it was just a warmed over G2. You can't please everyone. Remember that LG Display is the world's largest LCD manufacturer, so there is an added incentive for them to kind of show off a little bit.

Look, they HAD to make some kind of noise... Samsung is dominant (though, signs point to the market balancing out a little bit) and upstarts like Xiaomi were gaining serious momentum... In fact Xiaomi passed LG in terms of market share. So they decided to go a little over the top and then market the HELL out of it and hope for the best.... and so far it's worked out pretty well. LG's sales even before the release of the G3 are on the upswing, and from the looks of it, the G3 is going to certainly help that.

I still think they could have gotten away with an improved 1080p screen with all the other specs and refined software experience. But it is a good step in the right direction and I am sure next year there will be many more 2k screens on phones and all the issues that version 1 has had will be worked out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty