Lg g4 - heat!

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Another possible cause for my phone getting hot (something that was still happening to me on occasion after the Google Play Services fix, but not as much) could have been the "Advanced Calling" option (as Verizon calls it). This is basically Voice over LTE, also known has HD calling. I turned it on to see what it was like (my wife has an iPhone 6, which also has this). The call quality was definitely better than the usual cell phone audio. In any case, I left it on, but then I noticed when I have a weak signal, particularly a non-LTE signal, my phone was getting quite hot and losing a lot of battery. I turned of the Advanced Calling feature and now it seems better behaved in low signal areas.

When I get this phone to behave well, the standby battery life is outstanding, even with location tracking and high accuracy GPS turned on (and all the Google Now bells and whistles like parking location logging and traffic info). But my big beef is that it just occasionally goes haywire and drains the battery very quickly. I can always tell because it gets hot in my pocket. A restart will usually fix it, though. I just wish I knew what triggers it.

-SR-

Maybe that's why I see mine cycling through 1x/3G/LTE all the time and delaying/not sending SMS or MMS.

But I love the Advanced Calling feature. The call quality is so much better (when calling those that use it too), as I apparently have a difficult time understanding those that call w/o this feature.

I'd hate to have to turn it off, along with the Google Now stuff (and other synching) just to keep the phone from getting ridiculously hot and/or not sending SMS/MMS.

Though, I've got the Geek Squad protection plan so I am awaiting my new phone in a couple of weeks. We'll see if it experiences the same issues when I get it set up.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I've never had a phone get so hot that it starts burning my thigh through my jeans like the G4 does.

I don't have a way to get specific temps, but it shouldn't be getting anywhere near hot enough to cause discomfort to consumers.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've never had a phone get so hot that it starts burning my thigh through my jeans like the G4 does.

I don't have a way to get specific temps, but it shouldn't be getting anywhere near hot enough to cause discomfort to consumers.

Install Battery Monitor Widget, it will tell you the temp (I actually have mine configured to put the temp in my notification bar): https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tore/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw&token=NFfmtXXo

Plus it's just a great battery app!

Mine only gets hot in the car when running Waze and the sun is hitting it.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Do you have exact numbers? Without that it is hard to judge.

Yeah...got it. But I don't need numbers to improve my sense of feel. It literally stings when I'm playing a game. I'm not ripping the device, I love it! And plan on keeping it until the next lg. Maybe I'm alone but this thing gets very warm. Not trying to convince anyone, just sharing my experience

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah...got it. But I don't need numbers to improve my sense of feel. It literally stings when I'm playing a game. I'm not ripping the device, I love it! And plan on keeping it until the next lg. Maybe I'm alone but this thing gets very warm. Not trying to convince anyone, just sharing my experience

Understandable -- I was asking to see if you were in the normal range or if something was wrong is all :).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you install something like GSam it will show the temperature of the phone within the notification shade.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Install Battery Monitor Widget, it will tell you the temp (I actually have mine configured to put the temp in my notification bar): https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tore/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw&token=QX9kTqJu

Install Battery Monitor Widget, it will tell you the temp (I actually have mine configured to put the temp in my notification bar): https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tore/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw&token=QX9kTqJu

So far the phone has hit 38.6C after playing some Fallout, yikes. Lol

Pretty neat. I'll have to monitor it throughout the day.

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes I notice that as well. My nexus 6 doesn't do it as bad.

That's funny. I've had the exact opposite experience... I actually returned the nexus 6 because it was so uncomfortable to hold or use. Even with 4 minutes of use it would get warm warm warm. Warm enough to want to not even touch the phone or keep it in my pocket. My g4 on the other hand has been super cool! Doesn't warm up at all. Well. While taking 30 pictures or so with brightness all the way up, yes. But with normal usage no. Hmm. Funny how we have completely opposite experiences. Right?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
So far the phone has hit 38.6C after playing some Fallout, yikes. Lol

Pretty neat. I'll have to monitor it throughout the day.

At room temperature, my phone idles around 25c and minor usage (very low graphics, network, and processing) gets me to between 30 and 35c. If the phone gets hot when you're not doing anything, it's likely network/phone radio/GPS related and can be dealt with by adjusting settings.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
At room temperature, my phone idles around 25c and minor usage (very low graphics, network, and processing) gets me to between 30 and 35c. If the phone gets hot when you're not doing anything, it's likely network/phone radio/GPS related and can be dealt with by adjusting settings.

Yeah, I've already requested a replacement to see if that helps with the radio issues (it's more than just heat for my current device). It's back-ordered, so I'm having to wait about two weeks to get it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I think CPU-Z might be better for temperature monitoring since it shows temperature data from every sensor.

This is my G4 after a play session on Real Racing 3.

Attachments

• 1440055934420.jpg
    1440055934420.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 1440055943587.jpg
    1440055943587.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 32

henkepalmquist

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday my LG g4 hit 111F, today 87F as max.
All i did was to turn off NFC, got that electric feeling in the fingers when NFC is on and im holding the phone.
At the same time i turned NFC off the batteri cooled down and the tingling feeling in the fingers went away and i did not get the auto lower screen brightness today(yesterday it was at 70% brightness after 30min SOT).
The screen has stayed at 100% brightness for 7 hours today with 1hour SOT and 4 hours Spotify.
This worked for me, might not work for 4 u. :S

Im at 78% batteri left atm.

I now remember i also turned off "smart settings" location thingy.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Maybe that's why I see mine cycling through 1x/3G/LTE all the time and delaying/not sending SMS or MMS.

But I love the Advanced Calling feature. The call quality is so much better (when calling those that use it too), as I apparently have a difficult time understanding those that call w/o this feature.

I'd hate to have to turn it off, along with the Google Now stuff (and other synching) just to keep the phone from getting ridiculously hot and/or not sending SMS/MMS.

Though, I've got the Geek Squad protection plan so I am awaiting my new phone in a couple of weeks. We'll see if it experiences the same issues when I get it set up.

I did enjoy the quality of the Advanced calling feature, but my wife is the only other person I call that uses it (and she doesn't care either way), so it wasn't a big loss for me. I haven't had it go crazy with a weak signal since I turned it off, but it's hard to say how may instances I've experienced with low signals since then. I do get a fairly weak signal at home, though.

The thing that has my attention right now is instances where the GPS just keeps searching and searching and searching (which I see thanks to the notification that pops up). Sometimes, it will lock on to my location and other times it will search, search and search again (even though I'm outside and it just found the location a few minutes ago). I have no idea what is making the location requests. The only thing I can find out is that I can force close Android System and that will stop it briefly and then it starts again. I have tried force closing every single app that is listed as requesting location and it doesn't help. I have even tried temporarily uninstalling those apps (that can be unstalled or at least disabled). I have also tried turning off Location History and it still hasn't helped. I just can't figure out why it does this. :/ Even a restart doesn't help. Within a couple minutes of the phone restarting and it will do it again.

-SR-

pamelany80

May 9, 2013
Visit site
my phone gets hot in the camera area while i play games and sometimes with streaming video, it's annoying because my last phone by another company did not do this but not concerning.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ron1morgan