lg g4s manufactured before September have a defect

Muawiya Al-Anazi

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
It looks like many lg g4 manufactured before September ....fail.....they suddenly go blank and once turned on go into an infinite boot loop .....what do you guys know about it? ....mine was 6 months old....manufactured may

Posted via the Android Central App

totally true. had same problem, same serial, same MFG

donnamt

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I got my first LG G4 when it was released in the UK end of May 2015. after a month there was a screen defect which appeared from no where and certainly not something I had done. I was 3 days past the 30 days replacement terms with Carphone Warehouse so it was sent off for repair. two weeks later they gave me a new phone.

Two weeks ago my phone turned itself off and got stuck in a boot loop. how unlucky can I possibly be!!!

They have replaced the PCB and the count down to my next issue is on, roll on 2017 when i can upgrade to a different brand as I am so disappointed with LG. once I could live with but two different phones in 9 months is not a phone I would ever recommend to others :(

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I got my first LG G4 when it was released in the UK end of May 2015. after a month there was a screen defect which appeared from no where and certainly not something I had done. I was 3 days past the 30 days replacement terms with Carphone Warehouse so it was sent off for repair. two weeks later they gave me a new phone.

Two weeks ago my phone turned itself off and got stuck in a boot loop. how unlucky can I possibly be!!!

They have replaced the PCB and the count down to my next issue is on, roll on 2017 when i can upgrade to a different brand as I am so disappointed with LG. once I could live with but two different phones in 9 months is not a phone I would ever recommend to others :(

That's bad luck, sorry to hear! What is the serial number of the replacement that you got - first three digits or month of manufacture?

LandOfConfusion

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys just wondering if I could have some advice.

I bought a G4 off eBay a while ago and have only just heard about this "boot loop" problem. My phone is currently working fine although my heart sank when I read that phones with S/N starting with 505 are the most a risk, the number on my box starts with 505K. But then I noticed that the IMEI on the box didn't match that reported by the phone and when I took the battery out he serial number began with 606...

So could anyone tell me if I'm safe and that models with 606 are OK or do I need to start thinking about getting a new phone?

Thanks in advance.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
With a 606 you are safer; "safe" would require a access to data we don't have.

The 505s had a higher than normal failure rate, but not necessarily a "high" failure rate. My 505 is still doing fine. **knock on wood**

As with all phones and computers, backup your data frequently.

LandOfConfusion

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I've been reading around at it seems likely that this is a design problem, rather than just a manufacturing defect. It also appears it affects later manufactured boards:

Had my G4 with s/n 512 replaced with 603 s/n about a week ago, yesterday it went into boot loop again!
[Link]

And I've read a comment on a German board where the OP had his 606 fail as well.

What annoys me though is that they haven't done a re-design and it appears they have just accepted that a certain percentage of devices will fail within the warranty period and that that level of failure is acceptable. Out of warranty? Bad luck.

It's kind of like what sometimes happens in the car industry where some manufacturers have a policy of acceptable in-warranty failure rates of about 5%, and sometimes higher if the cost of redesign is high enough. Frankly though that's not good enough and although I don't blame LG as a whole (they're a conglomerate, it would be like not having a GE X-ray just because another division produced a bad batch of GE light bulbs) it's clear their cell phone division cares far more about money than their customers.

SO well done LG. You've tainted your brand and now lost a customer for life.

enots27

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the boot loop issue and was repaired by carphone warehouse under warranty. The repair report wait that they replaced the pcb assy main. Should I worry about the problem coming back or should the repair have it sorted. I have my same device back with s/n 505. Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

LandOfConfusion

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
The repair report wait that they replaced the pcb assy main.

My 606 has apparently been repaired, not that the eBay seller admitted this. It seems it started off life as a 505 (manufactured May 2015) but presumably the mainboard failed as both the serial number and IMEI are different to what's on the box and the phone's body has wear & tear consistent with a year's use. Looking on IMEIData.net I can see that the board in my phone was made on the 26th June 2016.

Should I worry about the problem coming back or should the repair have it sorted. I have my same device back with s/n 505. Thanks.

I strongly suspect that any 'fix' is merely temporary and it's possible that they either took your board or another from another return and put it though a reflow oven in the hopes that it'll correct any cold solder joints. But if it is as I assume, that the problem is a design and not manufacturing defect then it will simply return at some unpredictable point in the future and most likely when your warranty has expired.

My suggestion would be that you sell it while it still works and get something made by a company that actually cares about it's customers. There's plenty of competition, especially now with all these new Chinese manufacturers so there really isn't a good reason to support a company which treats it's customers with such clear contempt.

Im Broken

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
For anyone asking... My 505 failed in December 15. They sent me a brand new 511 as a replacement. That failed a few weeks ago. No rooting, no unlocking, running stock and simple. Not a gamer so I never push it hard at all. These phones SUCK period end. I sent in my 511 to LG for warranty and it looks like they are sending me a replacement instead of fixing mine and returning it. Should be here tomorrow. I already bought a 6p to replace it...

tyhart44

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Bought first G4 (SN 505) in 10/15, bootlooped 1/16. Replacement (also 505) bootlooped last week.

I'm a gadget geek...I've bought so many I can't keep count, and I've rarely had issues. Yet I had two issues with 2 phones of this type. Take that for what you will.