LG G6 review

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious to see how well this phone does with SOT and overall battery life. One reviewer, I think it was Max Lee (don't quote me on that) showed the G6 display when fully cranked up, actually brighter than the current Samsung he had on him. So its a bigger, brighter LCD, with a secondary display and SD821... (eventually) going up against the latest galaxy S8 screen and the latest from Snapdragon.
What secondary display? I thought that was only the V series.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Oops!!! My fault, for some reason I thought a secondary display was on this one. Correction made to my post. sorry for the mis-information.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I can't wait to hold it! I have no intention of getting a new phone now, but I *love* holding them in the stores and seeing what it'd be like to own them!

LG's software was okay. I liked some things about it, whereas others were a bit invasive. You really notice that when you go to other devices with different softwares. However, I'd be really interested in seeing the G6 in action.

The only thing that worries me is its size - I know it's not super big due to the screen-bezel ratio or whatever, but 5.7" is still a lot for me! But I'm sure I'd get used to it, as is what happens when one upgrades to different manufacturers' device lines. :)

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well in the Flossy video he held it against a Google Pixel XL for reference and it was significantly smaller in height and little narrower even though screen size was larger 5.5 vs 5.7. I think it's physically smaller than a S7 Edge to give you an idea.

I can't wait to hold it! I have no intention of getting a new phone now, but I *love* holding them in the stores and seeing what it'd be like to own them!

LG's software was okay. I liked some things about it, whereas others were a bit invasive. You really notice that when you go to other devices with different softwares. However, I'd be really interested in seeing the G6 in action.

The only thing that worries me is its size - I know it's not super big due to the screen-bezel ratio or whatever, but 5.7" is still a lot for me! But I'm sure I'd get used to it, as is what happens when one upgrades to different manufacturers' device lines. :)

Last edited:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
LG6 vs S7 Edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNZH8uXICwQ

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
True. Or if you don't have either, the S7 Edge wouldn't be a bad phone to grab once the S8 is released... they will probably knock the price down considerably or get it basically for nothing with contract upgrade. It was arguably last years best Android with all the specs. Now it has Nougat and little things like Secure Folder.

I know for me, I can get a phone using my company's corporate account and use one of our lines eligible for upgrade where I can still get phones at old subsidized prices (my boss is ok with me using the lines upgrade eligibility and extending contract on line as long as I pay for the phone).

Right now I can get a S7 for $199 and S7 Edge for $299. When the S8 comes out, those phones will be discounted to $99 and $199 usually. I might just go with an S7 Edge for $199 if the G6 and S8 don't really excite me to pay the extra cost.

Honestly I am not sure if the S8 will be exciting. The more info leaks, the less excited I seem to be. If not then I'd question if worth it for people that have S7 Edges. If they have a surprise saying S-Pen capable on the S8, I'll be excited. We'll find out in a month.

That video makes it hard to justify buying the G6 if you already have an S7 Edge.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
It is brighter... close to 600 nits I believe. And some reviews mention that its pretty good in bright sunlight where the conference is being held. I read elsewhere too that the screen is suppose to be 30% more efficient than previous screens used. So we'll have to see how battery life is... because that's a big thing with me... I'm playing with a S6 in between phones and also being my first experience with a Galaxy I have to say I am hating this phone mainly because of battery.

Curious... when they say LCD screen A is 30% more efficient than Screen B.... how does that improve performance overall? Does that directly result in 30% less battery capacity needed to power the screen?... or is there some strange non-direct correlation between the two?

Does it mean screen A is 30% brighter than B, when drawing the same amount of power?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't know... could mean 30% less energy than the comparable screen from last year but since it's a bigger screen there will be more power used and I'm guessing the 821 will use more power than the 820... so in the end it could be a wash. But then factor the larger 3300 mah battery. AC said with short time with G6 battery life as full day to bedtime. We'll see.[/QUOTE]
The higher clocked 821 actually consumes the same amount of power as the 2.2GHz version of the 820.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
V30 it is then. Guess I'll be sticking to my S7 a little longer unless Samsung can impress me.

I'm glad to see a lot of enthusiasm in people that want to get an LG. I think the V20 is a killer phone, and it would take a lot to get me to jump to anything else even the V30. No matter what, after experiencing the audio in the V20 I won't get a phone with a traditional DAC.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well in the Flossy video he held it against a Google Pixel XL for reference and it was significantly smaller in height and little narrower even though screen size was larger 5.5 vs 5.7. I think it's physically smaller than a S7 Edge to give you an idea.

Thanks, that was a great visual comparison! :)

Dennis James5

May 20, 2016
Visit site
Can we just at least be amazed at the fact that LG fitted a 5.7inch display in a body smaller than that of a Galaxy S7 Edge!?

I am a Samsung S7 Edge user, love its size, and yet here come LG with the G6 with an even larger Display and smaller body!

Yes, but look at the actual screen width: it's actually much smaller than that of the S7 Edge (2.54 inch for the G6 vs 2.70 inch for the S7 Edge), and is actually only as big as the S7 (2.50 inch). Only the height is bigger, which is kind of misleading because when using larger screens not the height was the issue, but the width. If you browse the web, the S7 Edge screen is certainly better than the G6 at providing more information in front of your eyes.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but look at the actual screen width: it's actually much smaller than that of the S7 Edge (2.54 inch for the G6 vs 2.70 inch for the S7 Edge), and is actually only as big as the S7 (2.50 inch). Only the height is bigger, which is kind of misleading because when using larger screens not the height was the issue, but the width. If you browse the web, the S7 Edge screen is certainly better than the G6 at providing more information in front of your eyes.
So you are saying that a smaller screen with 460,000 LESS pixels provides more information on the screen?

Nedim Ajsic

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm curious to see how well this phone does with SOT and overall battery life. One reviewer, I think it was Max Lee (don't quote me on that) showed the G6 display when fully cranked up, actually brighter than the current Samsung he had on him. So its a bigger, brighter LCD and SD821... (eventually) going up against the latest galaxy S8 screen and the latest from Snapdragon.

I asked DetroitBORG about visibility in direct sun and he said:
It's not the best in bright sunlight, it gets washed out more than something like the iPhone 7 Plus.

Dennis James5

May 20, 2016
Visit site
So you are saying that a smaller screen with 460,000 LESS pixels provides more information on the screen?

First, the number of pixels is really a poor indicator of information quantity on the screen. A 5.5" 1080p screen shows the same amount of real-world information as a 5.5" 2K screen.

What I was saying is that a wider screen provides (up to a point) more information that your eyes can see and not move because the information is in the field of view, compared to a tall and narrow screen which can provide more information technically, but it is actually outside the field of view and the eyes need to move up and down in order to access it.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
First, the number of pixels is really a poor indicator of information quantity on the screen. A 5.5" 1080p screen shows the same amount of real-world information as a 5.5" 2K screen.

What I was saying is that a wider screen provides (up to a point) more information that your eyes can see and not move because the information is in the field of view, compared to a tall and narrow screen which can provide more information technically, but it is actually outside the field of view and the eyes need to move up and down in order to access it.
Nope. Higher resolution allows more text on the screen.

And the bottom of a 6 inch tall phone is out of view? Give me a break.

Your width argument is also grossly overstated. 16/100 of an inch wider is about 2 or 3 extra characters per row, if that. Hardly enough to make any difference on a full screen of text.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey