Limiting Gemini to certain workspaces?

ByteSlinger

Apr 6, 2023
Visit site
I've got a P8P, and being in the UK, after almost a year of having the phone I'm excited that Gemini is finally available on it. I'm most keen on using the summarise feature that will be game changing for me.

From what I understand, to activate Gemini on my phone, I have to replace Assistant. Now I use assistant 20+ times a day (both via my watch and the phone) to set reminders which is all integrated with Google Tasks.

It seems that the only way I can do that with Gemini is to give it access to my workspace including google Drive.
I have a lot of sensitive documents on Drive that I don't want to risk an experimental software deleting or editing due to misunderstanding, nor do I want it used as training data.

So my main question is, Is there any way I can give gemini access to use Tasks, without allowing it to access my emails or Drive?

A secondary question I thought whilst writing this, as I said earlier I use Assistant at the moment a lot to set timers and reminders. If I change my phone to use Gemini, will Assistant still work via my watch?

If it does, that's the solution because I can change it on my phone without adding access to workspace, and I just use my watch for setting reminders.

ByteSlinger

Apr 6, 2023
Visit site
Ok well I realised on that last point I can just try it out and change it back if it doesn't work.

I'm happy to say this works so this is the solution for me.

I already had Google Assistant installed on my Galaxy Watch 6 Classic, and paired with my phone.

Now if I change my phone to use Gemini rather than Assistant, I can't set reminders on my phone without giving Gemini access to my workspace.

However, Google Assistant still seems to work fine via my watch. I set a reminder for 1 minutes time and it instantly showed up in Google Tasks on my phone.

If someone else is looking for this solution, I hope this helps.