List what Google ruined

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh and if love to "give feedback" but Google makes that virtually impossible too. Funny Google had ways to rate everything that's not Google product.

The feedback option I'm talking about is in the individual app's settings menu. They all have a Help & Feedback section.

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes I had a palm pre. And at that time the cards were great, because there wasn't anything really to compare to. Then they made them better with the vertical stack. And now here we are today again going back to copying Apple, Wich is still using tech from 2005? Is that when the pre was? Lol
They moved back to a horizontal stack because they are making the cards capable of interaction, ie being able to highlight and copy text in a card without having to go back completely into the app. It is hard to interact with information that is literally hidden behind another card. So they went back to horizontal where the entire card is visible in the list. Plus, I would have to imagine the gestures had something to do with it, swiping left to right at the bottom to switch apps makes more sense than swiping up and down, especially on phones with waterfall edges.

thebigbry

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
They moved back to a horizontal stack because they are making the cards capable of interaction, ie being able to highlight and copy text in a card without having to go back completely into the app. It is hard to interact with information that is literally hidden behind another card. So they went back to horizontal where the entire card is visible in the list. Plus, I would have to imagine the gestures had something to do with it, swiping left to right at the bottom to switch apps makes more sense than swiping up and down, especially on phones with waterfall edges.

So again. You know how you ALWAYS open recent apps and either easily swipe away the couple or go back to the one you want. Well in case you might want to highlight something in a recent app for dinner unknown reason. Google decided to make that much easier and make finishing the recent app you wanted much much harder. And switching between last 2 apps you just tap the square. It's just lame.

I'll add that having over twice as much vertical screen vs horizontal. It makes much more sense to scroll top to bottom and quickly swipe side to side. You can no longer just look at the last 5or 6 apps it's now a chore to use. I find myself now, just closing all, and got going to the app icon. Ruined.

thebigbry

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I also find it hard to believe how many people rather than going with the spirit of the post and adding things that Google ruined. For some reason are defending it trying to explain why Google ruined something. I know there's several other things that are just garbage since Android came out. I could only think of these few because they're literally ones that ruined stuff I do everyday.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I also find it hard to believe how many people rather than going with the spirit of the post and adding things that Google ruined. For some reason are defending it trying to explain why Google ruined something. I know there's several other things that are just garbage since Android came out. I could only think of these few because they're literally ones that ruined stuff I do everyday.
Well, I don't see a lot of other negative comments so that says something in of itself. That's not to say that everyone's happy with every single release The thing for me is I don't have a lot of issues with changes so there's not much for me to be concerned about. You'll probably find more people dissatisfied with hardware changes than software and software features often depend on the OEM's skin.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I also find it hard to believe how many people rather than going with the spirit of the post and adding things that Google ruined. For some reason are defending it trying to explain why Google ruined something.

Maybe because a lot of us are enthusiasts who enjoy Android, don't find these to be major issues, and would rather not focus so hard on the negative. But your point is taken -- I'll try to ignore this thread from now on.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I don’t know about Google ruining things, but somehow or other, the elegantly small, high-spec phone has been gradually made extinct over the last few years. The offerings of such phones at the present time, both Android and iPhone, and also indeed in the last of the Windows Phone models, is zero. It was a good invention too: a powerful little phone that would slip unobtrusively and easily into a pocket, and which could be used one-handed for almost any task. Something went wrong somewhere, though it’s difficult to see why.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Android Auto sucks after Android 10.
I can no longer use android auto on my phone, it has to be on an external head unit.

Works fine directly on the phone on my Pixel 2 XL. Another situation of possibly being your device.

It's just lame

Your opinion

also find it hard to believe how many people rather than going with the spirit of the post and adding things that Google ruined.

See, the thing with posts like this is that they're very much rooted in opinion. While it may be YOUR opinion that these things were "ruined", someone else might see the changes as "improvement". Also, as noted, some of these changes may be the result of manufacturer customization, so switching to a different device might result in a more favorable (in your opinion) experience.

thebigbry

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Works fine directly on the phone on my Pixel 2 XL. Another situation of possibly being your device.

Your opinion

See, the thing with posts like this is that they're very much rooted in opinion. While it may be YOUR opinion that these things were "ruined", someone else might see the changes as "improvement". Also, as noted, some of these changes may be the result of manufacturer customization, so switching to a different device might result in a more favorable (in your opinion) experience.

Well yes, but I would say that making things more difficult it flat out removing features should bother most. Hence why this post was started. And titled the way it is.

thebigbry

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe because a lot of us are enthusiasts who enjoy Android, don't find these to be major issues, and would rather not focus so hard on the negative. But your point is taken -- I'll try to ignore this thread from now on.

To reply and acknowledge you prove a couple points actually why this tie of post doesn't work.
1st there a big difference between being an enthusiastic and a blind devote. If course Android is good and we like it which is why there are entire sites like this one dedicated to all that is great and how to do cool things. Which is why a thread about what's wrong should be embraced. But just like the threads that say something is great the web is full of more people willing to jump on and argue the opposite just for something to do. So naturally when you say you don't like something more people can't wait to get in say why their wrong.
Now note my original post. (Not saying you did this but) Another issue being most can't be bothered to actually read the original post, they just see what everybody else is posting then mimic them. But my original post actually says
A "whining and complaining post" so it's not a major issue it's just complaining and whining. Pretty things. Even though some are pretty major.
So you can be brand loyal or enthusiast and still have opinions that losing features and features made more difficult sucks.
I find it hard to believe that no one in here had an issue with things like having to expose their screen to be able to use voice. And thinks it's awesome to take their phone out and hold it to use a hands free command.
Or any of the other things I mentioned.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
To reply and acknowledge you prove a couple points actually why this tie of post doesn't work.
1st there a big difference between being an enthusiastic and a blind devote. If course Android is good and we like it which is why there are entire sites like this one dedicated to all that is great and how to do cool things. Which is why a thread about what's wrong should be embraced. But just like the threads that say something is great the web is full of more people willing to jump on and argue the opposite just for something to do. So naturally when you say you don't like something more people can't wait to get in say why their wrong.
Now note my original post. (Not saying you did this but) Another issue being most can't be bothered to actually read the original post, they just see what everybody else is posting then mimic them. But my original post actually says
A "whining and complaining post" so it's not a major issue it's just complaining and whining. Pretty things. Even though some are pretty major.
So you can be brand loyal or enthusiast and still have opinions that losing features and features made more difficult sucks.
I find it hard to believe that no one in here had an issue with things like having to expose their screen to be able to use voice. And thinks it's awesome to take their phone out and hold it to use a hands free command.
Or any of the other things I mentioned.
Everyone uses their device differently, so not everyone will experience what you are or not like things that you don't. You shared your experience and some will agree with you and others won't , I don't see what so hard to understand ?

thebigbry

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Everyone uses their device differently, so not everyone will experience what you are or not like things that you don't. You shared your experience and some will agree with you and others won't , I don't see what so hard to understand ?

You're the one arguing the point and proving my point. So if you don't use your phone the same, and the things I mentioned don't effect you. Then why are you commenting? Because as I mentioned above. People like yourself will comment just for the sake of disagreeing rather than saying "hey this thread has nothing to do with me, I have no valid information to add, I should just move on"

So back to your super awesome experience with never experiencing an issue with Android. I'm sure there's a thread for that. If not, I'm sure you could start one, rather than arguing mine.

Thank you for your input it's been well documented.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You're the one arguing the point and proving my point. So if you don't use your phone the same, and the things I mentioned don't effect you. Then why are you commenting? Because as I mentioned above. People like yourself will comment just for the sake of disagreeing rather than saying "hey this thread has nothing to do with me, I have no valid information to add, I should just move on"

So back to your super awesome experience with never experiencing an issue with Android. I'm sure there's a thread for that. If not, I'm sure you could start one, rather than arguing mine.

Ok got it , so you want everyone to agree with you and not have a opnion, sounds one sided to me . Good luck on the response your looking for here.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Everyone has the right to agree or disagree with your opinion of what things you feel were ruined.That's the point of having a discussion. Otherwise its not really a discussion

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
5. Update 7 ability do really anything without allowing full access to EVERYTHING in your phone. Want to use Google maps. Google needs all of your contacts, access to phone calls, and rectal exam in order to do that.

Ok that's just my few for now.

Maps works fine on mine without access to my contacts .
aacdcf34477213dd7ced2c243f03cf68.jpg

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

People comment because every topic is an an open discussion. No one is entitled to create a thread and expect only comments from posters with like minded thoughts.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Is the goal to take these gripes to Google (or LG)? Are you trying to get these features back to the way before they were "ruined"?

thebigbry

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Is the goal to take these gripes to Google (or LG)? Are you trying to get these features back to the way before they were "ruined"?

I have actually taken a couple LG already. And as we all know, as I mentioned above. GOOGLE doesn't want feedback or input on their products, only other people's.

thebigbry

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Maps works fine on mine without access to my contacts .
aacdcf34477213dd7ced2c243f03cf68.jpg

Interesting, because it's been about 2 years that Google had made maps not work, and deny access unless you allow Google play services or (I can't remember which sub service) full access. It worked for a while where Everytime you open it it asks for the permissions, then finally said it no longer works without them.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So cool, for everybody who participated thank you very much I appreciate it.
for everybody else whose just bring trolls I'm not going to continue to argue with you. you can make the effort to go back and read all the previous arguments and the other statements and what the post is all about thanks.
[Please stay on the topic , don't insult others its against forum rules ]