Live Focus - Not Enough Blur?

paulwilko10

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I love my phone and I think the camera is great, however, i really dont think there is enough background blur
I have it set to it's most blur yet text is still almost readable in the background where i don't think it should be.

Anyone else agree?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Is the subject vs background VERY clearly defined? If so, the 'blur' might get tricky as the system gets confused. It seems sunglasses, for some reason (I assume reflections of similar images to background) also throw the Live Focus off a bit.

For the most part (and I don't use that feature that much, mind you) I think mine have come out pretty well. Also not sure if it helps, but with the plus you are using the two lenses for the blur, so maybe the software doesn't overdo it as it would on the front facing one?

paulwilko10

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I have the Plus

There is obvious definition between subject and background, but if i were using an SLR with an Aperture of 2.5, I would expect much more blur

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the Plus

There is obvious definition between subject and background, but if i were using an SLR with an Aperture of 2.5, I would expect much more blur

Not if you were using say a 25mm short (wide angle) lens. They have a lot of dof.
Anyway the fake blur is simply not designed to 100% imitate a slr or dslr