Live Wallpapers (Earth at night with lights?)

kpurdu1

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Now that I've got 2.1 and live wallpapers I was looking to see what was available.

I tried the Free Earth Live wallpaper in the market and though it worked it wasn't what I was looking for it just didn't look good to me.

I had seen a demo somewhere recently with an Earth moving that basically would show lights getting turned on around the world as that part of the earth turned to night. It looked awesome. Anyone know if that really exists or if it is available?

Also any other good live wallpapers out there you would suggest?

jordo

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I like the smoke one myself, but probably won't use any of them as live wallpapers kill your battery life and use up background resources. But when I want to show off the coolness of my phone to any lame iPhone user I would probably load up one of these :)

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the 3D Star field and it's so far my favorite, but I think I've switched between wallpapers about a dozen times. For now though, Star Field.

kpurdu1

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I tried some of the suggestions, and so far.

I like smoke as well after changing colors..
star field is ok,
terratime only free for 7 days also ok

I also like one of the other defaults, water/leaves one

and I found shake them all which is fairly amusing, although hard to interact with as I accidentally change the screen when using it, trying to throw the androids up in the air.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Live wallpapers don't hit the battery on the Hero at all, so they shouldn't on the droid either. The only drawback I can think of on the Droid would be that it will use a bit more RAM to draw the images than on the Hero, because of the better resolution and higher spec gpu, but this really shouldn't matter.

tmatt

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
anyone use the google map live wallpaper? I dont have a Droid, but this looks like a cool feature, thats if you can do it with the new Android update.....

redman213

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeah the google maps live wallpaper isnt that cool it just shows where u are...

Lol gbhil they should freeze your post count at 1337 XD

Harvey Wallbanger

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Anybody know how to get Live Wallpapers to work with Quick Profiles, so that different profiles could use different Live Wallpapers? So far I can only seem to get Static Wallpapers to work with Quick Profiles and the new 2.1 update. :<

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely love this one live wallpaper app. It's called "waterpaper" -- free in market. You can select any single image or a folder in your gallery and have it shuffle them at specified times.

It makes the background "watery". It sort of looks like a puddle of water and when you touch the screen it ripples from that point and then when you swipe across the screen it gets all ripply and then calms downa minute later.

My favorite live paper. It incorporates wallpaper shuffling of your images AND live wallpapers together.

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I like the Waveform music visualizer. Then again, I love music, so that'd probably be the most enjoyable wallpaper I could ask for.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Now that I've got 2.1 and live wallpapers I was looking to see what was available.

I tried the Free Earth Live wallpaper in the market and though it worked it wasn't what I was looking for it just didn't look good to me.

I had seen a demo somewhere recently with an Earth moving that basically would show lights getting turned on around the world as that part of the earth turned to night. It looked awesome. Anyone know if that really exists or if it is available?

Also any other good live wallpapers out there you would suggest?

Go into settings on the earth rot live wallpaper and choose map the lights that's the one your looking for

graymulligan

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Dear uninformed rumormongers...

Live wallpapers don't use a whole lot of battery. You know why? They're only running when your display is running. It's not like they're running 24/7 while the phone is sleeping. My battery was the same using them and opposed to not using them over 4 days of testing. (rooted, 2.1 rom, identical settings)

So, now that we've killed off this bit of idiocy, what's next? :)

azjerry

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Dear uninformed rumormongers...

Live wallpapers don't use a whole lot of battery. You know why? They're only running when your display is running. It's not like they're running 24/7 while the phone is sleeping. My battery was the same using them and opposed to not using them over 4 days of testing. (rooted, 2.1 rom, identical settings)

So, now that we've killed off this bit of idiocy, what's next? :)

I've had my phone set to stay on while plugged in ever cince I learned how. Never a problem with charging. Yesterday, the first I had live wallpapers (standard Droid 2.1), I plugged my phone with Fireworks live wallpaper into my PC. After three hours or so my battery had charged from 50% all the to 50%. That's right the charging current was now approximately equal to the power draw of the whole phone with a live wallpaper running.

I turned the display off and let it sit and it up charged normally. Previously on 2.0.1 and a static wallpaper charging with the display on wasn't a problem.

So it would seem that a live wallpaper does take a lot of battery power while the display is on. Not too surprising, I think, given the CPU/graphics processing necessary. OTOH since most people, I hope ;^) , don't sit there and stare at their live wallpaper so the overall effect on power should be pretty small.

G

GenericMessage

I've had my phone set to stay on while plugged in ever cince I learned how. Never a problem with charging. Yesterday, the first I had live wallpapers (standard Droid 2.1), I plugged my phone with Fireworks live wallpaper into my PC. After three hours or so my battery had charged from 50% all the to 50%. That's right the charging current was now approximately equal to the power draw of the whole phone with a live wallpaper running.

I turned the display off and let it sit and it up charged normally. Previously on 2.0.1 and a static wallpaper charging with the display on wasn't a problem.

So it would seem that a live wallpaper does take a lot of battery power while the display is on. Not too surprising, I think, given the CPU/graphics processing necessary. OTOH since most people, I hope ;^) , don't sit there and stare at their live wallpaper so the overall effect on power should be pretty small.

A small correction if I may, when plugged in via USB, the charging time is almost doubled that if on AC power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvagmailaccounts