Living in the Cloud - no need for 8GB storage

JaxDreamFunding

May 6, 2010
www.jaxdreamfunding.com
I user the same solutions ... DropBox, AndFTP, Pandora. These three work out great...and I only really use the SD Card for backups and files I bring in from DropBox...then I clean the folder out every once in a while to keep the card fairly clean.

I have a Buffalo Network Storage Device at home that I have FTP turned on...I even use that from my laptop and keep my laptop hard drive clean ...

These solutions work GREAT on the EVO!

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Have been tinkering more with Orb Live app vs. web-based access. The Orb Live app in Market is much better for music but the web version (my.orb.com) is better for accessing files and viewing video as it uses the Android media player and does better aspect ratio than Orb Live video player. Orb won't play DVD ISOs but will play VIDEOTS DVD directory. Also works with MTS files. You need a good upload rate on your home network to get high quality video.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming that all this cloud business use s an internet connection but the problem would then be in the battery. I wonder how much this affects the battery because sometimes I like to turn my networks off when I listen to music to max out battery life.

I'm just wondering cause streaming music all the time can be a blow to battery.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it would drain battery of course more than on board music with no data access. In car, I have car charger. At work, I'm charging while listening. YMMV but I only listen while not charging maybe 25% of time.

I haven't tried it yet but Grooveshark can cache music you've listened to. You set the cache to say, 3GB, and it keeps the last songs you've listened to in phone. Can apparently go into airplane mode or turn off data and get access to those songs.

n0cud06.x86

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
guys please help me out - I'm having a nightmare trying to stream music with my EVO, I have Pandora installed, Grooveshark and recently decided to try Rhapsody - all three apps keep crashing specially Rhapsody and Grooveshark.

The funny thing is that when things are working, everything works, but when one crashes then nothing works (the app open and I'm able to go to menu etc.. but can't click on play as it just sits there until I get the “force close” popup). Rhapsody will crashe the phone sometimes to the point I have to do a hard reset.

When I check running services I see them in there so I stop the service but the only way I can get any app to play again is to reboot the phone???

Please help my Hero always worked fine with Pandora, do I have a bad phone? This is my on problem other than I think my Hero had a better reception but everything else works fine (just flashed my EVO last night to 0.2, did the radio update too but still no luck)

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
n0cud06.x86, sounds like something is corrupt in your phone. Even after a reboot the apps still crash? It's just these music apps that crash?

apexi350z

May 18, 2010
Visit site
What is dropbox and what are the pros and cons of it?

thanks
Online storage, that can be installed on your pc and Android phone.. Sync both ways.

You drop a file on it from your pc, and then access it from your Android phone. Vice versa.

cons: 2GB for free account.

da.bell

May 14, 2010
Visit site
IMO, grab an FTP client on the phone and set up an FTP site from your home computer.

I have a total of 2 Terabytes of data accessible to my :D

thomascj

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
How is FTP a valuable solution for streaming music? Are you guys able to stream your music using FTP -- I have certainly never seen/heard of that being done, I always use FTP simply for uploading/downloading.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
He means FTP as an alternative to Dropbox. FTP is a good solution for power users who want more storage but Dropbox is more consumer friendly and pretty elegant (FTP probably needs port forwarding setup in router, a little more involved, Dropbox is easier to setup). BTW, you get 2GB free with Dropbox but can get 5GB or more free with referrals. Signup for Dropbox here.

For streaming, you want to use Orb (or Grooveshark is something to look into).

da.bell

May 14, 2010
Visit site
He means FTP as an alternative to Dropbox. FTP is a good solution for power users who want more storage but Dropbox is more consumer friendly and pretty elegant (FTP probably needs port forwarding setup in router, a little more involved, Dropbox is easier to setup). BTW, you get 2GB free with Dropbox but can get 5GB or more free with referrals. Signup for Dropbox here.

For streaming, you want to use Orb (or Grooveshark is something to look into).

Correct and you will need to set up port forwarding on the router. There are Network Assisted Storage (NAS) units that could be purchased that have the ability to stream your music, store your software, documents, etc.

I currently have a Promise B4600 UNIX Server that I'm able to do this on. Not a cheap solution but a means to store my files other than the cloud network.

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
What are the *editing* capabilities of Android? I.e what good does it do me to store my files with DropBox if I cannot edit them?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
What are the *editing* capabilities of Android? I.e what good does it do me to store my files with DropBox if I cannot edit them?

AndFTP on Android<------->ftp.drivehq.com<--------->filezilla on PC

you can edit and save files on Android or PC and upload/download to drivehq FTP server via FTP.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharikkhan222143