Location turning itself off?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I got a warranty refurb V20 recently and it keeps turning location services off. Yes, off, not on (as apparently Google thinks I'm searching for that instead. Lol). I double checked to make sure battery optimization is off, and I also have Verizon's health check disabled. Any other suggestions on where to check? I doubt it's a gps sensor issue, as I typically have it set to battery saving mode using networks only. When I do run gps for Maps, it works fine.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just an update and potentially solved?

For some reason, my initial problem went away and my location stayed on. That then presented a new problem. When set to battery saving mode to use tower/network based approximation, it would never update and I would have to turn GPS on to get it to show my location properly (I use it often for my weather app since I drive for a living). So I decided to try a reboot. Once booted up again, I tried opening my weather app and this time I got a Google Location Services pop-up asking if I wanted to use it to find my location when in battery saving location mode. After I agreed to that, the app updated correctly and all has been well since.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I got a warranty refurb V20 recently and it keeps turning location services off. Yes, off, not on (as apparently Google thinks I'm searching for that instead. Lol). I double checked to make sure battery optimization is off, and I also have Verizon's health check disabled. Any other suggestions on where to check? I doubt it's a gps sensor issue, as I typically have it set to battery saving mode using networks only. When I do run gps for Maps, it works fine.

Did you do a complete factory reset before using? Are you sure there's no 3rd party app that may cause that? The ForceDoze app has the option to 'disable sensors when screen is off'. Is the OS rooted or is it running stock? Maybe check the Verizon apps, they might have some bloatware optimization app that's trying to save battery. Maybe use your phone without battery saver mode and see what happens. It's a mixed bag when you get a refurbished AKA used phone.

Fyrstar2002

Nov 19, 2018
Visit site

I think I figured this out finally. Verizon is running an Auto Health Check every day at 2 PM and I think it shuts off the location services.

To turn off the health check, open the MyVerizon app, select Devices from the main menu, click Manage under the phone that's the issue, click Run Health Check, and then click the option at the bottom of the results to view and disable the Auto Health Check every day at 2.

Fyrstar2002

Nov 19, 2018
Visit site

Whoops, just noticed you already turned off Health Check.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Whoops, just noticed you already turned off Health Check.
No worries. As I said in my last message, it resolved itself somehow. The battery saving mode still occasionally gives me issues, but I think I've narrowed it down to a bug with the most recent Play store update (that is, an update to the Play app itself). So unfortunately, that isn't something I'd be able to fix.