Lollipop killed stock "email" app!

bookertbeatnut

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Hello all!
I too am bummed by the dead mail app. I can deal with gmail as my work mail reader but another facet of this really has me irritated. I've never elected to sync work contacts to my phone. I've avoided it for years in favor of only mail and calendar. Gmail has apparently decided that I now want this and enabled it by default with the lollipop 5.01 update on my nexus 5 (updating from kitkatt 4.4.4 (?). So I have 1000's of contacts now on my phone that I do not want. I ticked off the account sync but it's too late, the damage seems to be done.

So, I know you can choose not the see them, and if this is the best that can be done well, that's disappointing. What I've tried to do is find a way to delete them, which leads to my question:

How can I delete multiple exchange contacts, or even delete one at a time? Going into edit contact and touching delete doesn't work, they simply don't disappear. I'd prefer to whack all of these unwanted in one swoop, but I resorted to trying one at a time out of desperation (thinking I'd do X a day for a few months). Neither approach works. I'd even elect to delete all contacts if that were possible.

Gmail contacts delete properly for what it's worth. Thanks all for any help you can provide!

bookertbeatnut

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
One quick follow-up: I've found that if I open an exchange contact, save it, then delete it.... the delete is successful. It makes my daily routine a bit more annoying but so be it if there's no alternative.

Anyone know how to delete these exchange contacts en masse?

expatCanuck

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Am I missing something, or does the GMail app not let me search my non-gmail email?
When I'm looking at my personal email, there's no magnifying glass button - only when I go to my GMail inbox (which I never use).
And searching from gmail won't find messages that exist in my personal email.

Feh.

Anyone here try MailWise, or any other 3rd-party apps? I don't mind paying a reasonable fee if the app works.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
AquaMail Pro should handle as many accounts of any type as you may have. Fast, stable and the most configurable email client I've ever seen for a mobile device. Has options for everything you can imagine. Also has the ability to backup your configuration for easy re-installs especially when you have multiple accounts to configure.

I'm addicted to it and more impressed with it the longer I use it. Very good support from a fine developer by a very useful built-in help system, by email or user forum. Only $5. Free trial, but the free version will only handle 2 accounts and lacks a few features of the Pro version.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../store/apps/d....kman.AquaMail&token=mro_ItVz

jennyfur

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I noticed this as well grrrrr. As a Lightflow user there is no ability to set a separate LED light for Exchange accounts in GMail app. I sent the developer an email and he indicated that Google has locked down the app and developers do not have access to notifications for Exchange Accounts in the new GMail app.
I may have to go 3rd Party for my work account.

I have no issue with exchange email now being a part of the gmail app. It's so much better than the old email app was, so not sure why everyone is complaining. And why have two separate apps to do the exact same thing anyhow? I prefer less junk cluttering my phone. However, as a Lightflow user, I totally agree with greatgoogly. It didn't occur to me how important that feature was to me until it was gone. Not having my specific color LED for my work emails is devastating. And I REALLY don't want to waste time with a 3rd party app like Nine when the built-in app already works great and is free, but can't seem to find another way around this dilemma. I wonder if maybe there will be a way to label or categorize exchange account emails and then set a notification for that specific label/category?

jennyfur

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Am I missing something, or does the GMail app not let me search my non-gmail email?
When I'm looking at my personal email, there's no magnifying glass button - only when I go to my GMail inbox (which I never use).
And searching from gmail won't find messages that exist in my personal email.
All of my accounts are searchable just fine. One gmail, one exchange, and two IMAP. All show the magnifying glass button.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread (sorry I forget who and don't feel like scrolling back through all 4 pages) how annoying it is to switch between accounts when you have four or more set up. I usually only had 3, but now that I put that 4th one in I totally feel your pain. It was problematic enough with three since the icons look the same, but with 4 you can't even see the other one. You literally have no choice but to use the dropdown. Terribly inconvenient. At least if we could modify the icons it would help with distinguishing the accounts, but there has to be a better way to switch between them.

jaleelhamid

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Why is the email app even installed if Google wants gmail. They should remove email and leave gmail as stock. How can I remove the email app

maxq54

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm missing something simple. Unrooted Nexus 5 on Lollipop. I have the Email app and Gmail app. As far as I remember, they both showed up with Lollipop. I have 3 accounts--1 each Hotmail, Yahoo, and Gmail. All 3 show up in both apps. If I delete an account from one app, it disappears from the other app also. If I add an account in one app, it shows up in the other. Both apps look the same with the same menus and folders showing up. When I get an e-mail, I get two notifications--one from each app I assume. To delete it from both apps, I have to open the email in both apps. I am unable to uninstall either app.

What I'd prefer is for my Gmail to show up in the Gmail app, and my other two email accounts to show up in the standard Email app--would help me know if its something I need to open right away (the way I had it pre-Lollipop):-!. Is this doable? My second choice would be to use one app for all accounts, but to get rid of the second app and its duplicate notifications.

Can anyone help me with what is probably a blinding flash of the obvious?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
The stock email app has been depreciated, basically replaced by the Gmail app because it can now handle all types of email accounts, not just Gmail. It's kinda confusing though, because the old email app icon is still there. Just disable the old stock email app in Settings and the duplicate notifications will stop.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

maxq54

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Crash. That worked fine. :) When I disabled the stock email app, it also disappeared from the app tray, but is in the Playstore and can be enabled from there. I think I'll see if I can disable the Gmail app also, then go to Blue Mail which I used to use. Its a bit busy, but to me is more intuitive in navigating between accounts and settings. I can assign specific colors to specific accounts and it makes it easier for me.

protous

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I wish they would have asked the community if this was what we wanted - I for one liked have my work on a seperate app than my personal.

As an on call engineer - not having to constantly switch between the two was a nice thing. I guess I'm going to give nine a try.

Y8pVyOh.jpg:D

solgol

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm disappointed too. Google just doesn't get it. I used the Email app for work and could set a different notification sound and LED, and I could also use Notifications Off with Tasker to not send me notifications on weekends or my days off. Plus, I already use 2 different Gmail accounts and the new Gmail app doesn't show you which account you're actually in when viewing the Inbox like the old one did and it's not as easy to switch between accounts. Nine actually looks like a good alternative.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
This is infuriating.

How do I disable my email address I use to the phone from Gmail, so I can use the Gmail client for my work emails?

I don't want notifications from my email address I used for Lollipop because it is full of spam!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfoot715