Long-term use question

NJD_fan

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, I'm in the market for a newish phone after my 3rd G3 suffered the screen dimming & flicker issue

I know it's already 6-months old but continually buying the G3 because I enjoyed it so much, and the removable battery, I don't care as much about that. Google should still support it for another year looking at my G3's life cycle, but less then Google's 3 years for it's own phones

How does it hold up with daily use? 835 is still extremely fast despite the new version out. I know Samsung & Pixel have unbelievable cameras, but I thought what my G3 had was under-appreciated

I am really flipping between this and the Moto Z2 Force, but am finding this phone about the same price as the Moto on some sites

I just don't feel the need to get a top of the line S9 or Pixel XL 2 with nothing strikingly new personally

Last edited:

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
The V30 is not perfect, but having the V10, V20 and V30 and G6 in the in my house I can say the V30 is the best of the bunch. It hiccups now and then for me (mostly camera not being ready to shoot as quickly as it normally does)

I confidently recommend the V30 especially because of the second year promise that LG has.

That being said, here is a history of my Android phones after leaving webOS and their problems:

Galaxy S4 - rock solid but the charging port started burning up one night possibly due to a frayed cable because of the white rubber cable deterioration. That phone still works but charges slowly and is finicky with what charger I use.

Note Edge - great phone but ended up needing to be sent in for service twice because it started freezing and rebooting on its own. Possibly due to me running the phone hot because at the time I was using Dailyroads Voyager dashcam app on it. The second time after the motherboard replacement it started freezing again I immediately traded it in for the V10.

V10 - Boot looped at 4 months. Sold at 9 months of ownership as soon as the V20 came out. That phone was ok. It didn't have flagship specs at the time so I knew it wouldn't be the fastest going in. My brother still has his but his is a replacement after his bootlooped. Everyone I know that had a V10 had to get it replaced because of bootloop.

V20 - Good phone but buggy and laggy at times, even after reset. Still have it and I let my 8 year old daughter use it because it has depreciated so much that it's not worth selling to get only $300 or less. Good spare to have on hand.

V30- Current device. Replaced after day 1 because it wasn't fast charging. Sometimes hiccups but I can run optimization which seems to help. V20 and V10 didn't have optimization.

G6 - Fiancée's current phone. Sent on once at 6 months for kernel crash and they replaced the memory. Then it had USB power failure and died (possibly due to cat having chewed the charger cable) and was sent in again for repair, this time replacing main board.

NJD_fan

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Google will support their own phones with OS updates for 3 years. I was lucky to get Lollipop with how old the G3 was at the time

NJD_fan

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Wow that is some long term LG experience. Crazy issues but stuck with them

What optimization does the V30 have?

Surprised it doesn't have front-facing speakers, but also that as a whole it's taken this long for most phones to adopt them. Do like the wireless charging option

I loved the G3's memory optimization. Being able to delete more than 1gb of random stuff instead of app by app is great. Know most phones have a feature like that now but at the time, not as widespread

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The V30 is amazing and, in my opinion, severely underrated. Awesome battery, great processor, and a beautiful display. I myself am going to go with this or the Pixel 2. I think the V30 can certainly hold its own against the top flagships out there.

And, it has some amazing features. For instance, a headphone jack (to paraphrase another user, it's a shame we actually have to label that as a "feature"), water resistance, AOD, good audio, great fingerprint scanner placement, and an ergonomic device to boot. Go for it if you feel like it will serve you well! :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Google will support their own phones with OS updates for 3 years. I was lucky to get Lollipop with how old the G3 was at the time
Google as the manufacturer (even though HTC and LG are the actual manufacturers for the second generation of Pixels) will support their own phones for 3 years, but they start with the same Android every other manufacturer gets. It's up to LG to modify it to work on their phones - and no manufacturer other than Google supplies OS updates for 3 years. (And that's 3 years from release date, not from purchase date, so if you buy a Pixel 2 now, you get 2, not 3, OS updates.)

mark233

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
The V30 is amazing and, in my opinion, severely underrated. Awesome battery, great processor, and a beautiful display. I myself am going to go with this or the Pixel 2. I think the V30 can certainly hold its own against the top flagships out there.

And, it has some amazing features. For instance, a headphone jack (to paraphrase another user, it's a shame we actually have to label that as a "feature"), water resistance, AOD, good audio, great fingerprint scanner placement, and an ergonomic device to boot. Go for it if you feel like it will serve you well! :)

IMO yes...LG V30 underrated. I have and use the Pixel 2, LG V30, and for what it's worth, Sony XZ Xperia1 Compact. All of these devices are great!

What I like more with the V30 over all is the wide angle lens option and the audio recorded with video. The Pixel does take great video, but the corresponding recorded audio is not as good as the V30 - or even the Sony.

Yes the Pixel takes good photos. And yes the V30 takes good photos (especially when using in manual mode) - but I rarely use manual mode.

The audio recorded with the V30 (and the Xperia) makes them my 1st choice over the Pixel.

I REALLY like using all 3 of these devices, but --- I use the V30 as my 'everyday' device.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
IMO yes...LG V30 underrated. I have and use the Pixel 2, LG V30, and for what it's worth, Sony XZ Xperia1 Compact. All of these devices are great!

What I like more with the V30 over all is the wide angle lens option and the audio recorded with video. The Pixel does take great video, but the corresponding recorded audio is not as good as the V30 - or even the Sony.

Yes the Pixel takes good photos. And yes the V30 takes good photos (especially when using in manual mode) - but I rarely use manual mode.

The audio recorded with the V30 (and the Xperia) makes them my 1st choice over the Pixel.

I REALLY like using all 3 of these devices, but --- I use the V30 as my 'everyday' device.

Wow, that's so cool that you use all three! I definitely agree with you: audio and video on the V30 are excellent. And the camera looks like it takes excellent shots. In a world dominated by Samsung and Apple, I truly think awesome phones like the V30 get overlooked. Plus, one of my favourite things about it is that, though it's a six-inch phone, it doesn't *feel* like one; so even a small-handed person like me can hold it comfortably.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, I'm in the market for a newish phone after my 3rd G3 suffered the screen dimming & flicker issue

I know it's already 6-months old but continually buying the G3 because I enjoyed it so much, and the removable battery, I don't care as much about that. Google should still support it for another year looking at my G3's life cycle, but less then Google's 3 years for it's own phones

How does it hold up with daily use? 835 is still extremely fast despite the new version out. I know Samsung & Pixel have unbelievable cameras, but I thought what my G3 had was under-appreciated

I am really flipping between this and the Moto Z2 Force, but am finding this phone about the same price as the Moto on some sites

I just don't feel the need to get a top of the line S9 or Pixel XL 2 with nothing strikingly new personally

Sounds like the LG would be your best choice. Motorola does not have a headphone jack if you care about that, plus the bezels are from 2014. On top of that Moto isn't doing so well so IDK about long term support. The V30 I believe has a 2 year warranty if you register it. The S9 and Pixel 2 will cost you a pretty penny and the features are actually less than what you get on the V30. BTW I think the Moto Force series uses a plastic screen so it scratches easily. The V30 has a bigger screen too, I think it's 6' versus 5.5' on the Moto, correct me if I'm wrong.

NJD_fan

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
That would be AWESOME if you could buy it whenever and receive 3 years from that date, but yea, only be 2 1/2 or wherever it's at now. Still pretty good compared to other lifecycles and quicker updates too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci