Longtime Note user bored with 10+. Thinking of making the switch to iPhone

tatootie67

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
My work phone is an iPhone XR. It just replaced a 5s. I'm really really loving the face id. It just blows away anything with a fingerprint sensor. Prior to this upgrade I hated iOS but now I'm starting to like it alot more. I'm actually contemplating a switch over to iPhone for personal use. Yes, face id is that good.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Oh yes, why be only just a little bored if you with minimal effort and a wad of money could become extremely depressed.... :)

Dnealj312

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
I've had my Note 10+ for about a month now after being in a Note 8 since September of 2017, a S7 and a Note 4 Edge prior to that. I have the unlocked version on AT&T and truthfully, I'm just not wowed with it. Great display and typical Android/Note amenities, but at the end of the day, I'm just bored with it as it's not that big of a jump from my Note 8.

I've never had an iPhone though I'm surrounded by them by colleagues and family. My main number is a Google number which I'm not going to get rid of, so I know I'll never really get to reap the benefits of iMessage, losing the stylus and trading in the flexibility of Android Pay to Apple Pay...and my paid apps as well.

The iPhone 11 Max Pro is looking nice right about now just as something different. I'm not a specs geek so much as I am all about experience. I'm not looking for someone to talk me off the ledge, but: a) Is anyone else feeling this way? and b) Is there any major compromise that I'm missing?

iMessage is the only reason I keep an iPhone. Just for group messages with my family. Performance and reliability from iOS has been declining since iOS 10 basically. My xr got quite a few bugs on iOS 12 and iOS 13. But maybe it’s because I don’t have the top dogs in the lineup. My advice is if you’re not going to use iMessage then you will definitely miss the note and you will be missing out on a little more than half of the iOS experience.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't mean this to be critical but I'm curious. To me, because of the S-pen, there's the Note series and everything else. I live on my phone all day - Work, research, writing, sketching, phone calls, texting, email, social media, hobbies, pictures, banking, shopping, selling stuff on e-Bay, projects, news, entertainment, music, etc. About the only thing I don't do is play any games on it. I'm hardly ever on my desktop, tablet, or laptop anymore and haven't been for a quite a while.

I use my S-Pen all the time and for a variety of functions. I'm looking forward to seeing what this version can do as I came from a Note 4. Lots of other little things I'm discovering every day about my Note 10+ & new S-Pen as I've only had it for less than 2 weeks - It's taking some getting used to and there are still a few things I miss from my Note 4 but I love this phone more and more every day. I probabaly haven't come close to using it to its maximum potential and efficiency but overall cannot imagine what else I would want it to be able to do.

Because of the S-Pen, it's not even a question what phone I have, just which Note version but if it weren't for the S-Pen, then sure I'd like to have the largest, clearest display and a fast processor with lots of RAM but other than that, and maybe I'm the one missing something, but I don't know that it would much matter what manufacturer or operating system it was. I've seen this argument between having a Note vs. XYZ for years and I don't get it but to me there's the Note and everything else.

1) If you wouldn't miss and/or don't use the S-Pen, why get a Note in the 1st place?

2) I'm curious what you mean by bored? What do you want it to do or maybe more to the point, what doesn't it do that would make it less boring and what do you think an IPhone is going to do to cure that boredom?

I totally agree. There's the Galaxy Note..... and then there is every other phone.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I got both the iPhone 11 Pro Max (private phone) and the Note 10+ (work). I find them both equally boring. The iPhone is zippier and the cameras are much better though.

Other than that: don’t bother switching.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm still not sure I understand what it means to be "bored" with a phone. I'm not sure what you or anyone else is expecting it to do.

That being said, if you just need to use something different, the 11 Pro is a great phone. I tried one out for a couple weeks before passing it on to my wife and I would recommend it to someone that doesn't need or want the customization/flexibility of Android. So if you want a straight forward, fairly solid experience, give it a go for sure.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
You can get bored by using the same platform all the time when there is an alternative available. That said iPhone doesn't have a pen, no widgets on the screen pages so you're always looking at a sea of icons, nothing like kwgt, no side panel which has contains many possibilities.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm still not sure I understand what it means to be "bored" with a phone. I'm not sure what you or anyone else is expecting it to do.
Most people use their phone as a tool for sending or receiving information of various sorts. The world's supply of interesting information is inexhaustible, so that never gets old.

But some users--especially here in these forums--are primarily interested in the phone itself as a source of entertainment. They enjoy the process of configuring the phone, modifying its software or even just its visual presentation, buying decorative accessories for it, etc. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

If someone considers the phone itself to be a source of entertainment, then when they start running out of new tweaks to try, they can get bored.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Most people use their phone as a tool for sending or receiving information of various sorts. The world's supply of interesting information is inexhaustible, so that never gets old.

But some users--especially here in these forums--are primarily interested in the phone itself as a source of entertainment. They enjoy the process of configuring the phone, modifying its software or even just its visual presentation, buying decorative accessories for it, etc. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

If someone considers the phone itself to be a source of entertainment, then when they start running out of new tweaks to try, they can get bored.
I do understand where you are coming from, I guess that only adds to the confusion though. If you are bored with a Note phone, I can't imagine how quickly one would get bored with an iPhone. IDK. Maybe I'm just old.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I’m currently using an iPhone 11 Pro. Came over from an S8+. iPhones are boring as well but super reliable. I grew tired of customizing & all the above etc. so if you want a device that works without having to babysit then I’d say go for it. If you want to stick w the customizations etc. I’d say look at maybe 1+ or even the pixel line.
The thing about Android is you don't have to customize or only customize as much or as little as you want. The app drawer alone is a nice feature of Android and I wish iPhone had it. Both are great systems and it's great to have choices.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Agreed.

If I wasn't an addict I wouldn't have bought the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

I would suggest going with OnePlus 7T Pro.

Apple phones are 100 times more boring. ZERO customization. Good OS, but apple is not where you want to run to if you are board hehehe

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You are with Samsung's android most of the time like me. You should try pixel series to get wowed instead of iOS. I had pixel 2xl for a short time to try when I had note 8 and was really impressed. I almost left my note 8 for months before returning ( only for spen which i use most at work). My dream phone would be pixel with pen. I have an iPad (for my kid) and can't even stand it for 30 mins and so never thought of trying iPhone ever. My tab is tab S4 which is awesome.

Since the 10+is my first Note I'm still getting used to the s-pen and I probably don't use it as much as some of the more devoted fans of the Note. I do like it for its precision compared to the finger. As an example when I'm trimming photos or documents that I've scanned and have to make adjustments to the corners it's just so much more precise. That's just one example of where it comes in handy. A pixel with a s-pen would be awesome. You could probably buy a stylus but it still wouldn't have as many features and storing it would be a pain. It's nice that is built into the phone even though it takes up space.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Interesting take on it. For me it's not so much that I enjoy customizing, I view it more a a function but I can see how people might fall into that category.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I do understand where you are coming from, I guess that only adds to the confusion though. If you are bored with a Note phone, I can't imagine how quickly one would get bored with an iPhone.
Doesn't matter, it's still a new interface to try for a while, if you're looking for new interfaces to play with.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't matter, it's still a new interface to try for a while, if you're looking for new interfaces to play with.
Oh I get it, I have the luxury of being surrounded by iPhone users so I usually try out and sometimes even use for long periods, the new iPhone every year. I have the same curiosity, so I do get that part of it. I am probably nitpicking over the word bored and didn't realize it.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I own both devices and they are very similar and both great choices. I would say that the note is snappier than the pro max is.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Everyone here has pretty much said it. I was originally with iPhone starting with the 2 up through the 5. Then I decided to make the switch to Android because I was so tired of the lack of customization, everything locked down and having to deal wth iTunes just to put content on my phone. Four other family members went through the exact same thing and none of us regret making the switch and no plans on going back to Apple. I don't mean this to be a bashing Apple comment, they are good phones but I simply got tired of them. I'd go to a store like Bestbuy or something where you can play with the phone for a good amount of time without being hassled and see how you like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d