Looking for a durable phone....

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

Long time, no see. I am looking for a phone for my wife, but she drops her phone at least once a day and doesn't use a case at all. She currently has the HTC Titan (lol, I know right?) but the phone has a metal back that surrounds the phone, and I am not sure what kind of "glass" is on the front but now the phone is 26-30 months old and it STILL works perfect. How?, I don't know.

She likes the S4, the LG OGP, HTC One, and I have shown her the new LG G2 and she really likes it as well. I have seen the S4 and S4 active both seem to be very fragile, but what if I bought a case like the Slim Armor (spigen case). Has anyone dropped their S4 with Slim Armor and the screen survive? (also considering Tech21 cases as well. Hearing Great things about these.

The S4 active seems to be more about water resistance than dropping. Anyways. I may have went back to iPhone since I work at Apple and have a mac and all that, but after trying Android I DO like the OS and know there are lots of great, helpful people on these boards. Wife does NOT want an iPhone, no matter how hard I try to talk her into it. lol. She wants a 4.7-5.5" screen.
I finally have talked her out of Windows phones, so I am making "some" progress with her.

I may be back soon tho. The LG G2 is calling my name... I think its going to be an Awesome phone...

BTW, I am on AT&T.

:D

Last edited:

tanknitrous

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
How about the Droid Maxx or Mini? They seem to be super solidly built phones with kevlar making up a huge part of the build. Something I would definitely consider. I'd say the S4 Active though, as I think the "active" part is more than just about water.

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Motorola phones are pretty durable. I would check out the Maxx, Mini, or the Ultra. I would not recommend the active, as you most likely want a phone that has all-around durability, not just element-proof.

honeeey2821

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
hi,
Welcome to this forum site here you can find lots of things which can helps you. I am not able to answer your question sorry for that. thank you
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
android apps

SmileyBourne

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the site.

I think she should get the note 2 and the 9300 extended battery with case. She will love the phone and the extended battery will protect the phone from the fall. Plus she will have 3 days of heavy use without have to charge here phone.

Note 2 is the Best Phone there.

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
All phones are durable if you have a nice or strong enough case.
The HTC One has a very solid aluminum body that scratches but won't crack or break etc.

I like and own an S4 -which is a remarkably capable and full featured phone and while I know there have been some complaints about fragile S4s, it has been pretty sturdy for me so far.

In my hasty somewhat active approach to much of life, my S4 (i337) has taken about four falls -I held my breath for each, but no damage for any:
#1 off the dresser in my bedroom on to the wood floor: about 32" no damage. (the most risky!)
#2 in the bathroom from the sink counter onto the floor: landed on the bathoom rug/mat about 31" no damage.
#3 from the dining room table onto the dining room rug: 32" fall no damage.
#4. from my dashboard in my car to the footwell on my side (bounced down off the center panel) total drop ~ 30" no damage.

Now, I would not recommend any falls and I am lucky when compared to many who have damaged their phones with shorter distance falls.

Also, I don't have a super case, I just have the Samsung S-View cover (flip case) with the small window and replacement back. It actually seems pretty effective. No pixels bad -no cracks so I am happy.

I do need to be more careful where I put it down while puttering around the house, however. (I have insurance, but don't want an MF3 --I am happily rooted /rom'd all is working well right now!)

Which leads me to comment that insurance for a new cell phone is a worthwhile investment -especially for active folks who sometimes wind up with phones that break!

Really, I would recommend getting a phone that she enjoys -style, functionality, price. If she does not like the model, it will be bad -for a long time. However, if you can find a desirable phone, then it's only a matter of a (good looking) and effective case. . . of sorts. .

Good Luck!

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion but have no interest in buying a phone for $299 with an old 720p screen and 2 OS' behind, that is about to be replaced any time now.
The LG Optimus G Pro spanks the Note 2 in every way, other than having a pen that I (or she) would never use, for 1/3rd the price.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info on the falls, Markbc. I am considering getting her the S4 because I know she likes the phone, and getting the Tech21 case and Tech21 glass shield. (not an Otter fan).
She does want to wait and see the LG G2 before making any decision. I'm a bit worried about finding any good cases for the LG G2 because it doesn't have that samsung name brand on it.
I also am considering the LG Optimus G Pro because its awesome and $99, she couldn't care less what OS its on. She is still on windows 7.5 OS right now.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLegend