Looking for advice on android phone

KenKK

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

Been using iPhones for a few years and would like to switch to Android. The reason is I like the more open experience compared
to be locked into Apple's way of Firmware upgrades, and dealling with apps that do not come from Apple's App download.
Seems like you have to hack, for example, Jailbreak.. to have a little freedom to experiment.

I currently have a iPhone 4 which is old and would like to get something with a slightly larger screen and a faster performer.
Not interested in spending big big money.
One question I have is would any of the phones available at Walmart be usable on AT&T. (GSM). I currently use straight talk on AT&T towers.

I noticed a HTC-626 for less than $100 advertised for Cricket but I don't know if that would work on AT&T (straight talk)
and if these phones are locked to a provider.
A friend has the phone and it appears to be faster than my iPhone 4.

That's the price range target I an looking at. I would consider a used phone if I felt good about it working.
Any suggestions on phones would be appreciated. I would like and I assume they all have access to the Google Play store.

I have a couple android phones given to me but one is on Virgin (Galaxy SII, Model SPH-D710VMUB) and the other one, a Motorola XT901
system version 182.44.3XT901.USC.en.US
Model number XT-901
Android version 4.4.2
baseband SOLSTICE_BP_105070.150.43.00R
Kernal version 3.4.42-g7f16ba8-00003-gc488563 hudsoncm@ilclbld27 #1
Build numberKDA20.92-3
build date Fri Jul 11 14:59:57 CDT 2014
Perferred network type offers 2 choices, LTE/CDMA or CDMA.
I did not know CDMA phones use SIM card unless the "LTE" has something to
do with it.

The XT901 has a sim card slot on the side. I tried installing a sim card but it doesn't seem
to keep it in place. Even holding it in doesn't indicate any change in the front screen or message me
a sim card was installed. Not sure what the provider was for this cell phone.
It works fine using WiFi including all apps.

Any suggestions on a phone would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

KenKK

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I have been playing with borrowed a Nexus 5 with a crack screen. I have to say its lighting fast compared to my iPhone 4. Its not worth fixing based on what I see a Nexus 5 cell for on ebay. The cheapest I could get the screen fixed
is for around $100.
What else would be in the same league has the Nexus 5?
Thanks,
Ken