Looking for some re assurance

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
OK so I am milestone 5 for aokp running Franco's kernel. K want to test the waters and move to build 38 mainly for the theme switcher option.

When I create a backup with titanium then factory wipe and all that and install build 38 won't that wipe the backup I just created since the nexus doesn't have am SD?

I know I need to just back up app data cause if I do system data I will fudge something up.

Basically I want to have my current layout transferred to build 38 can someone let me know if I have the right idea. Also maybe were I can get a full in depth walk through of titanium back up and how it does everything?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Your official perfect guide to do things with TiBu:

1. Open TiBu.
2. Menu/ Preferences/ App processing mode/ AUTO Direct
3. Create backup (Menu/ Batch/ backup/ Click the gray Run button: Backup all user apps) Do not backup or restore system data
4. Choose Pause active apps/ Run the batch operation
5. Back/ Menu/ More/ Create "update.zip."
6. Under "Titanium backup will be install as: "choose “System application”
7. Move update.zip to root of the sdcard (tibu will do this autmatically actually)
8. In recovery.. Wipe data/factory reset. Flash the ROM, GApps and BEFORE rebooting,mount /system
9. Choose install zip, and select the zip you created
10. Reboot
11. Skip the initial device setup screen Tap top-left, top-right, bottom-right, and bottom-left corners in that order
12. Launch TiBu and do Menu/ Batch/ Restore all user apps plus data... HOWEVER, go through the list and make sure you uncheck ANY google apps. Not only is system data bad to restore, but any Google apps data as well (as flashers, the gapps package didn't include a lot of google apps we had to download from the market, such as gmail, maps, music, etc.. so you have to remember to NOT restore data for them later on with TiBu or else it will do it autmatically. You CAN use TiBu to restore them WITHOUT data afterwards if you want, or just redownload them from the market)
13. Reboot
14. Settings/ Accounts and Sync/ Add your Google account

Also if you use a 3rd party launcher such as apex or nova, before wiping use it's built in backup option, then restore with it after you set up everything else in the instructions.

And no you're backup data will not be lost.. Wipe data / factory reset in recovery does NOT touch your sd card.

Credit for those instructions goes to brainfire @ rootzwiki btw... I just added in a few edits for clarity :)

EDIT: You can generally restore all that user app data... if any app gives you issues or force closes afterwards... just clear it's data and cache from setting > apps and see if you can just set it up on its own and get away with it. It's also a good idea to NOT restore data to apps that sync actively such as facebook, dropbox, etc

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

1. Open TiBu.
3. Create backup (Menu/ Batch/ backup/ Click the gray Run button: Backup all user apps) Do not backup or restore system data
6. Under "Titanium backup will be install as: "choose ?System application?
7. Move update.zip to root of the sdcard (tibu will do this autmatically actually)
8. In recovery.. Wipe data/factory reset. Flash the ROM, GApps and BEFORE rebooting,mount /system
10. Reboot
11. Skip the initial device setup screen Tap top-left, top-right, bottom-right, and bottom-left corners in that order
12. Launch TiBu and do Menu/ Batch/ Restore all user apps plus data... HOWEVER, go through the list and make sure you uncheck ANY google apps. Not only is system data bad to restore, but any Google apps data as well (as flashers, the gapps package didn't include a lot of google apps we had to download from the market, such as gmail, maps, music, etc.. so you have to remember to NOT restore data for them later on with TiBu or else it will do it autmatically. You CAN use TiBu to restore them WITHOUT data afterwards if you want, or just redownload them from the market)
13. Reboot

Also if you use a 3rd party launcher such as apex or nova, before wiping use it's built in backup option, then restore with it after you set up everything else in the instructions.

And no you're backup data will not be lost.. Wipe data / factory reset in recovery does NOT touch your sd card.

Credit for those instructions goes to brainfire @ rootzwiki btw... I just added in a few edits for clarity :)

EDIT: You can generally restore all that user app data... if any app gives you issues or force closes afterwards... just clear it's data and cache from setting > apps and see if you can just set it up on its own and get away with it. It's also a good idea to NOT restore data to apps that sync actively such as facebook, dropbox, etc

Not to hijack the thread, but what is the issue with restoring data from the various google apps (play music, gmail, maps...)? Is it just the fact that they pretty much all sync by themselves? I have restored app data from them many times and never seem to have an issue, so just wondering.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Not to hijack the thread, but what is the issue with restoring data from the various google apps (play music, gmail, maps...)? Is it just the fact that they pretty much all sync by themselves? I have restored app data from them many times and never seem to have an issue, so just wondering.

More often than not it causes issues.. such as force closes or apps not syncing correctly. Been victim of it myself recently when I wasn't paying attention and restored some GApp data. Sounds like you've been lucky, lol.. but I'd def recommend not restoring their data, just to prevent possible headaches later :)

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

1. Open TiBu.
6. Under "Titanium backup will be install as: "choose ?System application?
10. Reboot
13. Reboot

Doing this right now! I will report back!

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Nm just switched themes and all is well.

OK got a few bugs. Can't get market to turn into play store and cannot get 4g to work....

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Nm just switched themes and all is well.

OK got a few bugs. Can't get market to turn into play store and cannot get 4g to work....

Any thoughts?

Market should have been play store from the get to.. did you flash the most current GApps package (4/29)? Always grab the most current one from goo.im/gapps or Google Apps - RootzWiki.
Try just clearing Market's data and cache, and hit uninstall updates if the option exists for it, reboot, and give it some time, it should update on its own.

Regarding 4G.. did you update your radios? If not, check Zero Neck's [RADIOS] thread and update to the newest (FC04/05) ones. Its very simple, put the zip on your phone and flash it, no wiping required. Let me know what's what.

EDIT: Oh and the theme chooser is still kinda buggy... after applying any theme be sure to reboot.. and even still there might be some bugs, its just new and kind of still "beta" if you will.

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
45cf8910-8b6b-fbaa.jpg

Trying to apply a theme I downloaded from the market Arctic yellow and I get this error...m

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvagmailaccounts