Lost password...need hard reset help

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to hard reset a nexus 7 which is password protected. I have followed all the steps for a hard reset. When I try to boot into recovery mode without plugging into my computer it freezes on the Google screen during reboot. If I plug into the computer before I try to reboot into recovery mode the hardware buttons don't work at all. If worse comes to worse I guess it'll have to be returned but I would like to avoid that if at all possible. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
You cannot boot into recovery from the bootloader (as I'm guessing you mean) without being plugged into a computer... it's a known bug with the Nexus 7's bootloader. Although that doesn't explain why your hardware buttons wouldn't work when in recovery. However you can get around the issue by just using a recovery that uses the touch screen. The newer CWM version 6.0.1.0 available here (scroll down to Google Nexus 7) ClockworkMod ROM Manager - Recoveries... or TWRP available here http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/103 ..... are both touch-screen interfaces. I personally recommend TWRP. Both of the files are .img files which need to be flashed via fastboot (bootloader) on to your device, our guides on unlocking and rooting can provide more info on using fastboot if you are unsure.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
You cannot boot into recovery from the bootloader (as I'm guessing you mean) without being plugged into a computer... it's a known bug with the Nexus 7's bootloader. Although that doesn't explain why your hardware buttons wouldn't work when in recovery. However you can get around the issue by just using a recovery that uses the touch screen. The newer CWM version 6.0.1.0 available here (scroll down to Google Nexus 7) ClockworkMod ROM Manager - Recoveries... or TWRP available here http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/103 ..... are both touch-screen interfaces. I personally recommend TWRP. Both of the files are .img files which need to be flashed via fastboot (bootloader) on to your device, our guides on unlocking and rooting can provide more info on using fastboot if you are unsure.

I am completely new to unlocking and rooting. I did take a look at your guide to doing it earlier. I'd like to give it a try tomorrow when I have a lot of time to spare, if your available. In the meantime I'll locate and download fastboot for windows as well as the TWRP files. Thanks a lot.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
No need for fastboot or anything else. I followed the steps in your guide as far as installing the USB driver. Once it was installed, the hardware buttons began to work and allowed me to do a factory reset. Thanks for the pointing me in the right direction!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
No need for fastboot or anything else. I followed the steps in your guide as far as installing the USB driver. Once it was installed, the hardware buttons began to work and allowed me to do a factory reset. Thanks for the pointing me in the right direction!

glad it worked you you. fastboot is needed only for flashing factory image or pushing files to SD card etc.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Do a factory restore since you are fine with a factory reset. It makes you tablet new as you bought it. Here is a generic guide. there are many guide for a factory restore. google it.

Oh my goodness. I took a look at that stuff and it's so way over my head. Is there anything I can do ahead of time to prepare....just in case? Apologies in advance if I haven't understood the problem or framed my question correctly.

If I understand the problem, you can't do a factory reset if you can't open your tablet due to it being password protected.

Speaking of password, do you use a password, PIN or face recognition? I haven't secured my tablet yet but feel I should in case it gets lost or left somewhere.

Thank you.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Oh my goodness. I took a look at that stuff and it's so way over my head. Is there anything I can do ahead of time to prepare....just in case? Apologies in advance if I haven't understood the problem or framed my question correctly.

If I understand the problem, you can't do a factory reset if you can't open your tablet due to it being password protected.

Speaking of password, do you use a password, PIN or face recognition? I haven't secured my tablet yet but feel I should in case it gets lost or left somewhere.

Thank you.

This N7 wasn't mine it was a family member's whose son setup a security pattern and couldn't remember it. From what I found when researching the hard reset (whether locked or unlocked) is that in order to do it the device had to be plugged into the USB port of your computer or it would freeze when you attempted the reset. My problem was that when I plugged into the USB I could enter the bootloader but the hardware buttons would not work. Making it impossible to select the factory restore option and reboot. Apparently this was because I didn't have the Google USB driver installed on my computer because once I installed it the hardware buttons began to work while the N7 was connected. I didn't go any further through the steps in the guide since my problem was solved. I have bookmarked the guide though because it was very easy to follow.

tabletnovice

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Apparently this was because I didn't have the Google USB driver installed on my computer because once I installed it the hardware buttons began to work while the N7 was connected. I didn't go any further through the steps in the guide since my problem was solved. I have bookmarked the guide though because it was very easy to follow.

Where do you get the Google USB driver for your computer. Also, if you solved the problem by going through this process, couldn't anyone with a little knowledge? Seems kind of contrary to using a password. Again, I may be misunderstanding but I'm really trying to understand.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Where do you get the Google USB driver for your computer. Also, if you solved the problem by going through this process, couldn't anyone with a little knowledge? Seems kind of contrary to using a password. Again, I may be misunderstanding but I'm really trying to understand.

The USB driver is included in the Android SDK. If you follow the first 4 steps in the guide you will have it. It was very easy to do because the guide is simple and to the point. I agree that anyone with a little knowledge could do it but then again the people with the knowledge aren't usually the type to steal other people's property.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny