Love the Note 5..HATE the keyboard (stock Samsung) !!!

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Any recommendations for 3rd party keyboard that feels like the iPhone 6?

I have fat fingers and find the stock samsung kb too clumsy to type , especially to unlock the phone or messaging, etc.

I like the iphone keyboard much better as it's layed out really well on the screen with plenty of spacing unlike the Samsung which is more designed for smaller hands.

Note5 on the left and iPhone 6Plus on the right for reference...
View attachment 196343View attachment 196344

You like having no numbers on the screen and having to press another button to get to them. Or how about simply adding a exclamation point or question ark and having to do multiple button presses for that as well. Or what about not being able to quickly tell if you have the caps lock on or not as the letters are always capitols? Or how about the aggressive auto auto-correct which always changes your words when you don't want it to? Android also allows you to hold down a button to get second functions. To each his own but that is the great thing about Android is you can choose others and they will integrate with the same performance as if it was the original which is also another thing iOS can't do as the keyboard integration is horrid. I have a iPad Mini and it blows (no multi tasking but the highlight is the battery is great, lol). Hey but go nuts!

Peuf

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
what's the keyboard you're using on this picture? the note 5's I mean, my default doesn't look like that, with these little symbol on the top right corner of each key

tmccormick87

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Count me as another Swiftkey user!! Have used it for several years now, at least 3 phones, one HTC, the S5 and now the Note 5. I just love it! I periodically try the Samsung keyboard, but being so used to Swiftkey, I run out of patience when I keep forgetting that things are not where I'm used to, lol.

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
SwiftKey users might want to check out this week's AC podcast. They discuss Microsoft's purchase of SwiftKey, and how that means that MS can access your information.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, I use the BlackBerry PRIV keyboard on the Note 5 and it's perfect.

Posted via the Android Central App
I'll have to check that out. Still miss my Blackberry. I have a Note 3.

More: Ok so I got the PRIV launcher/theme but don't find a keyboard? What am I missing?

Last edited:

Spazzbk

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I'll have to check that out. Still miss my Blackberry. I have a Note 3.

More: Ok so I got the PRIV launcher/theme but don't find a keyboard? What am I missing?

Try going to xda-developers. Under the blackberry priv section there should be a thread about working apks. The keyboard apk should be in there. It's a separate app from the launcher.

Sorry can't post a link :/

Posted via the Android Central App

theonecid

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I feel like I always have the responsibility to provide a public service announcement when the subject of Swiftkey comes up in these threads. SK certainly has it's strengths, but there is a fatal flaw at the core of the app that they have avoided addressing for years. Now MS owns them. I wonder if MS is aware.

If a SK user never types more than a couple of sentences in their favorite texting app, they will forever love their SK.

If a SK user needs to open a doc that's more an a page or two length (in Google docs, or any other word proc app), SK slows to a crawl, and then crashes. This defect has been brought to the attention of the SK dev team for years, by hundreds of users, they admit it's a defect and they never addressed it.

So, while I love SK's prediction engine, it's unusable for those of us who do more than texting on their portable devices.

mclark1242

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I feel like I always have the responsibility to provide a public service announcement when the subject of Swiftkey comes up in these threads. SK certainly has it's strengths, but there is a fatal flaw at the core of the app that they have avoided addressing for years. Now MS owns them. I wonder if MS is aware.

If a SK user never types more than a couple of sentences in their favorite texting app, they will forever love their SK.

If a SK user needs to open a doc that's more an a page or two length (in Google docs, or any other word proc app), SK slows to a crawl, and then crashes. This defect has been brought to the attention of the SK dev team for years, by hundreds of users, they admit it's a defect and they never addressed it.

So, while I love SK's prediction engine, it's unusable for those of us who do more than texting on their portable devices.

This is a good point. I've been using SwiftKey since day 1 years ago, purchased it even. But it always has lagged in docs. And now that MS owns them it will be a money focused product, just haven't found anything to replace it but I've tried all of them.

MerpsMom

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I've used them all. :) Will stick with one for awhile, then go elsewhere. You are right when you say you can just have all kinds of fun with Android's possibilities.

Right now, I'm off of Touch-Pal and Samsung and onto Swiftkey again. Liking the latter more than I did before.

MerpsMom

Edit: I don't know where my head was but I should have referenced Swype keyboard, not Swiftkey. Tried Swiftkey and left it for Swype. LIke the new Swype a lot.

MM

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex-1999