Why did you pick the ecosystem you did?

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I've flicked between most of the platforms, I've had an iPhone, a couple of blackberries and been on Android since the S3...or maybe there was a HTC before that if memory serves. i like android simply because it's the most customisable interface you can get. I change the layout, the icons and how my phone works regularly. it makes me happy. i have the blackberry Key2 along with my Note 9 and I'd love a combination of the two. i love my note 9 but that blackberry got under my skin. I've never had a phone that could have so many short cuts, customisable buttons and tweeks. so for me android all the way with an updated version of the blackberry hardware that actually works and I'd be a happy camper.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I was on Sprint when I got my first smartphone. I think the iPhone was still an ATT exclusive so Android was really the only option. Google/Samsung had just released the Nexus S and it seemed cool and different and no one I knew had one. As I got more familiar with all the customizations I could do I just fell in love with it. SO many cool little tricks so I can make my phone unique to me. Since then I've stuck with not just Android but with Google, going Nexus 4, 6P and Pixel 2XL. I have an iPad and can appreciate iOS's simplicity but the restrictions are too much for me...I can't stand looking at a homescreen full of icons. That's why I couldn't ever see myself switching.

ch5220

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
When I got my first smartphone the iphone was only available on AT&T, and I didn't want to switch from Verizon so I got the HTC Droid Eris, which I think was one of the first few android phones released. At some point I remember switching to an iphone, but it only took one day of using the iphone browser to switch back. The iphone browser wouldn't wrap text on websites that didn't have mobile versions, which back then a lot of websites I read only had desktop versions. So after a day of sliding the pages back and forth just to read each sentence, I returned it and got another android. Been on android ever since.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm not tied into any eco-system in my opinion.

I go with what ticks my wants and needs boxes.

Your only tied in if you shut yourself off from other avenues and or will only use an app etc that's strictly only available on one platform.

I was using iPhones from the iPhone 4 Launch up to the iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Airs and found no great jolt to start using Samsung and Android.

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Hello guys new here. I use mainly apple ecosystem but I do use android too. Enjoy both. I like the new pixel 3 but that phone is really expensive. Otherwise don’t mind another samsung. S8 maybe

I like the Apple ecosystem because of their sandboxing. Don’t want facebook or uber to muck around my sms and location data. I remember I granted whatsapp sms access maybe I should revoke that. And on iOS macOS the syncing and integration is insane. Wifi login details get saved across iCloud, w1 connected headphones also, handoff is great to continue what you were using on the phone to the laptop, sms and phone calls are native on the laptop, even security code auto fill is available on the laptop. edit a note on the computer and right click to scan a document using the phone camera. make phone calls from the laptop on a browser. I know airdroid or Pushbullet does similar things but the macOS version feels more streamlined. Hoping Microsoft your phone app will be better for windows. Another thing I use alot across laptop and phone is text expander on both it is native and synced. Keychain which is like lastpass also works very well across devices. Chrome does this natively too but only works in chrome on the laptop. Samsung has their own version but I don’t use a Samsung laptop so not sure if it works there.

There’s a lot more to like in android and I’m guessing you guys are more aware of that. Gear watches are great, bixby maybe less, Samsung pay, best. I like the samsung theme store and their own app store. Apps on android are great. Like Netflix smart downloads. My favourite. Have a panasonic tv mitsubishi aircon lg washing machine smeg fridge dyson vacumm so no other Samsung product sadly. If I get a soundbar likely a pioneer with alexa maybe. Might get netgear mesh in the future too, likely alexa too. So no extra bixby coming.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys new here. I use mainly apple ecosystem but I do use android too. Enjoy both. I like the new pixel 3 but that phone is really expensive. Otherwise don’t mind another samsung. S8 maybe

I like the Apple ecosystem because of their sandboxing. Don’t want facebook or uber to muck around my sms and location data. I remember I granted whatsapp sms access maybe I should revoke that. And on iOS macOS the syncing and integration is insane. Wifi login details get saved across iCloud, w1 connected headphones also, handoff is great to continue what you were using on the phone to the laptop, sms and phone calls are native on the laptop, even security code auto fill is available on the laptop. edit a note on the computer and right click to scan a document using the phone camera. make phone calls from the laptop on a browser. I know airdroid or Pushbullet does similar things but the macOS version feels more streamlined. Hoping Microsoft your phone app will be better for windows. Another thing I use alot across laptop and phone is text expander on both it is native and synced. Keychain which is like lastpass also works very well across devices. Chrome does this natively too but only works in chrome on the laptop. Samsung has their own version but I don’t use a Samsung laptop so not sure if it works there.

There’s a lot more to like in android and I’m guessing you guys are more aware of that. Gear watches are great, bixby maybe less, Samsung pay, best. I like the samsung theme store and their own app store. Apps on android are great. Like Netflix smart downloads. My favourite. Have a panasonic tv mitsubishi aircon lg washing machine smeg fridge dyson vacumm so no other Samsung product sadly. If I get a soundbar likely a pioneer with alexa maybe. Might get netgear mesh in the future too, likely alexa too. So no extra bixby coming.

Welcome to Android Central! Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! It's true that Android is a freer experience than Apple; but Apple, as you've said, is also good for security reasons. It's so restrictive security-wise that it must bolster the platform's security.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I read an article once where the author hit the nail on the head. He said: "When you have a device that both my 8 yr old daughter and my 80 yr old Grandmother can use with ease and no explanation... you have a winner on your hands."

I have a 68 year old mother in law that is technology proof. She's had the same iPhone for 5 years, still doesn't know how to do basic things on it. Butt dials, doesn't get texts because she doesn't know how to find the app. It's great. Last year I spent two hours trying to figure out where a random beep was coming from in her house till I figured out it was her email app chiming on her stupid phone. She is ecosystem resistant!

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I have a 68 year old mother in law that is technology proof. She's had the same iPhone for 5 years, still doesn't know how to do basic things on it. Butt dials, doesn't get texts because she doesn't know how to find the app. It's great. Last year I spent two hours trying to figure out where a random beep was coming from in her house till I figured out it was her email app chiming on her stupid phone. She is ecosystem resistant!
This is the best thing that ever happened on the internet.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't pick a phone because of the ecosystem. I also don't disregard a phone because of the ecosystem either.

When I am in the market for a new phone, I make my choice mainly on the hardware specs I'm looking for or has grabbed my attention like screen size/quality, cameras, build/style and performance. I basically run the same suite of apps whether on iPhone, Android or even iPad when I want a bigger form factor so that's more important than ecosystem. I can work with and enjoy either OS/platform. And I don't really find myself really that immersed in any one particular ecosystem.

If I chose an iPhone, I don't use iTunes for music or videos or their books or their cloud services for files sharing/storage or email. I do take advantage of iMessage and FaceTime with friends or family that use iOS. Actually, I do use iCloud for their auto backup or restore of the phone when in a pinch because it does work perfectly. I use Safari when I'm on iOS but I don't maps or Siri, preferring Google Maps and Search/Assistant. And Apple Pay works well where supported.

When I chose my Note, I chose it because of the hardware specs... the crazy nice screen, I wanted to play with S-pen and the suite of software that came with it and the rest of the specs were near or at the top and I was impressed with Samsung experience since Note 7 so OK with UI. I don't get into Samsung's ecosystem much avoiding Samsung+ and Bixby but I have found Samsung Pay pretty awesome and prefer the Samsung browser over Chrome. I use a lot of Google apps but I don't use all of them.

I do miss iMessage with family and friends but there are plus' and minus' which each OS and you weigh the things you gain with one platform over the things you lose and decide. This time around I wanted a bigger screen and wanted to try out the S-pen. Who knows what I'll chose next time.

DC041

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Had a Symbian phone and when Nokia ran into trouble the alternatives appeared limited. Saw the HTC Desire Z (with the cool keyboard, which I think was called the G2 in the US) and went with that. Still a memorable device for me. I handed it down to my son who also thought it wonderful. At the next upgrade opportunity, I compared what I could do with my Android and what others could do on iPhone and stuck with Android.

wilsodw

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
First Samsung and so far its been a little bit of a struggle for me. Always had Moto phones so getting use to the Samsung buzz has been slow. Slowly I am using some of the apps instead of simple android/google apps. Moto voice vs bixby and thus not using bixby at the moment. This forum and some u tube videos has help me understand some of the difference. Wife has always had the top I Phone and I dont even play with it. Yes I was one that rooted all my phones but them days has passed so for now this old man is learning something new. (Samsung Buzz). This phone is powerful and I expect after the learning curve it will become even better for me. My drawer is full of Moto phones, 6 or 7 I believe including the bag phone which some may not remember. So for me its always been android but the step between Moto and Samsung........Wow! I may need one of them Geek Squad tutors.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

This was a wonderful post to read. Thank you.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
It was Symbian on my Nokia N95 3G and the other N95 I had after, then I moved to HTC Desire and Desire HD then went on to the Note line after that with Note 2/3/4/8, never owned an iPong yet, once you go NOTE there's no escape :)

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the very warm welcome. yes indeed iOS has their weird bugs and syncing bewilderment, otherwise it's a very good basic system that nailed a lot of the basics. I used a lot of android device and really like some of the android pricing especially galaxy phones, very good value. I've gone through Nexus 7, Moto phones, LG G4, S6, and S7. I do like the Pixel offering but support here and pricing is near insane. 1.3k for a Pixel seems like cut throat, maybe an S8 would be much better especially with price drops, or LG G6, but I don't really like LG. G4 worse phone, good camera though. Software wise I can live with both iOS and android, android is better but is not like I would cry using iOS, not yet.

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Jesus if I run down all the phones I've used, I'd be here forever LOL. So I'll do my top phones I've used and name my favorite ecosystem and explain why I'm currently where I'm at:

Favorite 5 phones:
iPhone 5
Lumia 900
Palm Centro
HTC Snap
T-Mobile Sidekick (Yes you are reading that right)

Favorite OS in order:
Windows Phone
iOS
Android
Palm OS
Web OS

Where I'm at now:

So I currently own the note 9 and 7 plus. In an ideal world, I'd be rocking Windows Phone 7.5 - 8 on a Nokia device. But Android and iOS has come a long way. I like to see what the competition offers and was really more into that back in the day, but currently I need a device that will help me keep my life in order. iPhones are great for communicating with friends but can be a little overwhelming when it comes to getting down to business, at least for me. I have my personal and two work emails and switching over to apps to see when someone was working or going back to look at old schedules and information to check on things wasn't seamless. The note 9 though......this stylus is saving me from a mental breakdown. If I'm being honest, I only wish that I could have the same type of seamless communication here that iMessage and Facetime provide. Other than that, great phone

ExpatTR

Jul 24, 2018
Visit site
I've slowly gravitated towards a Google/Samsung hybrid ecosystem, as little else offers the combination of tools and customization that I use in my personal and business lives. The final piece in my jigsaw is likely to be the Note 9, as with DeX I'll be able to leave my laptop at home and use it for the purpose for which it was bought....Final Cut Pro, Motion 5 and Pixelmator. Everything else, music, photos, Google apps, email, GPS....well, everything else, can be handled by the Note 9.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I've slowly gravitated towards a Google/Samsung hybrid ecosystem, as little else offers the combination of tools and customization that I use in my personal and business lives. The final piece in my jigsaw is likely to be the Note 9, as with DeX I'll be able to leave my laptop at home and use it for the purpose for which it was bought....Final Cut Pro, Motion 5 and Pixelmator. Everything else, music, photos, Google apps, email, GPS....well, everything else, can be handled by the Note 9.

Plus you can do the remote desktop thing if you need your computer

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
Very good question and thread! My intro to Android came in the form of a job I had acquired as an intensive in-home counselor for at risk youth. As a requirement for the position I had to have a cellphone to allow for contact 24/7. So my first phone was I believe an inexpensive Motorola flip phone from T-mobile, which has remained my carrier nigh all these years. So over the years I've purchased phones that were compatible with this network and in line with what I was able to afford at the time. After a spate of low to midrange phones I got my first taste of a "flagship" via the LG G4 that had gone on sale with the launch of the G5.After getting a taste of what a phone had to offer with good cameras and faster processors I now have been elevated to the status of a proud Note 9 owner. As a side note, I worked with a young man some years ago who was mentally challenged and owned an iPad. On occasion he would have issues with the device that we could not figure out, necessitating a visit to the Apple Store, where you needed to make an appointment and greeted by a concierge who checked your name on the list before granting you access beyond the velvet rope like you were trying to get into the VIP section of a swanky club. I thought to myself if you have to go through all of this just to have your device given the once over, I'll never own an Apple product.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
As far as smartphones, I went from Windows Mobile to Symbian, to Android/iOS and today I use both Android and iOS with Android being my daily driver. Since I was used to OSes that didn't have many restrictions, I think I was just drawn to Android. I ended up also getting iOS on my second phone for various reasons - but I consider myself to be Android driven.

My first Android was the HTC Desire, and my first Note was the first Note. I was drawn to it because I had already used a stylus with my HTC Tilt with Windows Mobile. Android gives me the configurability that I like. That being said, for folks that aren't as into the tinkering and configuring - and aren't as tech savvy - I have sometimes recommended iOS because I find that for those folks it's something easier to handle.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I was never a big fan of iOS and the limitations it had, especially during the Cook era. Android is just so much more flexible, deep, and open for customization.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali