Magazine: blocked by play protect

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Make sure the Install Apps from Unknown Sources option in the Special App Access system menu is turned off.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Apps>Advanced, and see if there's a Special App Access menu there.

Also, if you can search in your system settings, search there for "unknown."

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It looks like Install Unknown Apps is turned off, at least for the apps showing in that screenshot. Are there any more apps listed if you scroll down?

Also, it looks like Chrome is disabled -- did you disable it? Which browser are you using?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You just posted what was essentially a duplicate post, same as post no. 26, so I deleted it. Did you see my subsequent response?

Soulartist

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
No more apps are listed. I disabled Chrome a while back because of adware that would not go away. Not using any browser,

I found a way to get into safe mode when shutting down, but haven't found a way to start safe mode in the morning after phone has been off for all those hours.

Restarting phone does does not show the magazine issue, only after phone has been off for the night. So, safe mode when shutting down may not be helpful in this case.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
At this point, it might be best to let Play Protect keep warning you about Magazine, and then you can always reject its installation. It'll probably be pretty challenging to figure out which preinstalled app is responsible for the phone trying to install Magazine automatically.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think what that means is that there are no apps currently installed that are considered malicious. If it successfully blocked an app from being installed automatically, then it still would say there are no current problems.

Soulartist

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Okay, this morning I was able to startup in safe mode. The play protect warning about Magazine showed up. Does this mean it's coming from the system itself and not a third party app? And if so, does it mean it's safe to install?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You're correct, it means that some preinstalled system app is trying to download and install that app. Since Play Protect has flagged it, I wouldn't say it's safe to install. The app probably isn't malicious per se, but it might be flagged due to significant unwanted behavior (like ads), or possibly shadier behavior like collecting data and sending it where it shouldn't. As mentioned before, this isn't unusual for Lifeline phones, unfortunately. I'd keep blocking its installation if that isn't too disruptive to the normal usage of the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackemail