Major Battery Issues Affter ICS Update

wezra

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
My Amaze was all fine and well prior to the ICS update... but after the update my battery started getting very hot. Two days ago the battery got so hot I literally couldn't hold the phone without my hand sweating during a call. I took the phone into my local T-Mobile store and the staff suggested that it was not normal for the phone/battery to heat up like it was.

I called Customer Service and we removed the battery... low and behold it had warped from the heat. They told me to stop using the phone immediately and they would replace the phone. Now here comes the crazy part. I could do one or the other, but not both. They would replace the battery or the phone, but not both. Oh, buy-the-way, the phone started shutting down by itself and I had t let it cool off; do a battery pull and then reboot the phone before it would work. And, the speaker fried... you could hardly hear even with the volume turned up all the way. So obviously the battery fried the phone. But not to replace both the phone and battery is crazy. They told me to call HTC for a new battery. Sadly, its a 2 or 3 week wait. What am I supposed to do in the meantime, use two cans and a line of string?

So I had to go out and buy a new battery today in hopes that the replacement phone will be ok. That said, I was told to watch it and if I had the same overheating problems they would take additional action. Not sure what that is... hopefully I won't have to find out.

Also, I stopped into a local Battery + store and the sales guy told me that he has sold nearly 30 Amaze batteries in the past two weeks. He was totally out of stock. Wonder if their might be a trend here. I have a feeling that ICS has dome something that overheats the battery. Not good news!

quotientstech

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My Amaze was all fine and well prior to the ICS update... but after the update my battery started getting very hot. Two days ago the battery got so hot I literally couldn't hold the phone without my hand sweating during a call. I took the phone into my local T-Mobile store and the staff suggested that it was not normal for the phone/battery to heat up like it was.

I called Customer Service and we removed the battery... low and behold it had warped from the heat. They told me to stop using the phone immediately and they would replace the phone. Now here comes the crazy part. I could do one or the other, but not both. They would replace the battery or the phone, but not both. Oh, buy-the-way, the phone started shutting down by itself and I had t let it cool off; do a battery pull and then reboot the phone before it would work. And, the speaker fried... you could hardly hear even with the volume turned up all the way. So obviously the battery fried the phone. But not to replace both the phone and battery is crazy. They told me to call HTC for a new battery. Sadly, its a 2 or 3 week wait. What am I supposed to do in the meantime, use two cans and a line of string?

So I had to go out and buy a new battery today in hopes that the replacement phone will be ok. That said, I was told to watch it and if I had the same overheating problems they would take additional action. Not sure what that is... hopefully I won't have to find out.

Also, I stopped into a local Battery + store and the sales guy told me that he has sold nearly 30 Amaze batteries in the past two weeks. He was totally out of stock. Wonder if their might be a trend here. I have a feeling that ICS has dome something that overheats the battery. Not good news!

Sorry to hear that...You were advised correctly that this should not have happened. It may be isolated to a certain geographic area. I have not seen this issue with either my amaze or any of the customers in store, here in San Diego.

Very important question: Do you have the Premium Handset Protection Bundle? If you do then the entire device should have been replaced with a complete phone kit including a new battery. I am in no way guaranteeing that this will work, but if I were in your position, I would contact customer care and speak to a supervisor. Calmly explain what happened and ask for a credit in the amount of the battery's price. Realize that they may say no and it may be because they are working on a different solution. If need be, you may PM me and I will try to help you since I am a Retail Store Manager.

Reactions: ChromeJob

taxqueen

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I have the EXACT same issue and so glad that I found this post. I thought I was going crazy. My phone gets so hot that I have to set it down. It freezes ALL THE TIME now and closes all my apps everytime I try to open something. I also have to do battery pulls at least 10 times a day after it completely freezes up. Calling TMobile RIGHT NOW! Thanks for the post

wezra

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the EXACT same issue and so glad that I found this post. I thought I was going crazy. My phone gets so hot that I have to set it down. It freezes ALL THE TIME now and closes all my apps everytime I try to open something. I also have to do battery pulls at least 10 times a day after it completely freezes up. Calling TMobile RIGHT NOW! Thanks for the post

My replacement Amaze is being delivered tomorrow. Let's see what happens with the new battery I purchased from T-Mobile yesterday and the new handset. I will also check out the software version on the phone. If I have the same overheating issues T-Mobile and I will have a little discussion about changing the phone to another model. Their may be an issue with ICS that is amping out the battery during certain operations. For me it was using the phone itself. The handset would get so hot you could actually get a burn if you kept holding it. I am sure the battery was getting very close to exploding under that type of heat. Anyway... I'll let everyone know how it goes tomorrow night after I get home and have the phone set up.

wezra

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Update

My replacement Amaze is being delivered tomorrow. Let's see what happens with the new battery I purchased from T-Mobile yesterday and the new handset. I will also check out the software version on the phone. If I have the same overheating issues T-Mobile and I will have a little discussion about changing the phone to another model. Their may be an issue with ICS that is amping out the battery during certain operations. For me it was using the phone itself. The handset would get so hot you could actually get a burn if you kept holding it. I am sure the battery was getting very close to exploding under that type of heat. Anyway... I'll let everyone know how it goes tomorrow night after I get home and have the phone set up.

I received my replacement Amaze last night via UPS. To my surprise it was not a refurbashed phone, but a completely new kit in the fully sealed box just as you would get at a T-Mobile store. The handset was new and the battery was new as well. The box had the charger and cable and the handset had the battery cover all the correct manuals, etc... all wrapped up like a mummy!

I called T-Mobile and they confirmed that a brand new unit/kit was sent out. Not sure how they confirm that, but they did.

It came pre-loaded with ICS 4.03; Sense 3.6 and Software #: 2.14.531.371ORD

So far, the battery is not overheating when I am on calls (as did my original Amaze on ICS) and the phone performs perfectly.

It seems one of those things that you can't confirm one way or the other... maybe the problem with my original Amaze was in fact a defective battery that fried the phone. The issue is whether or not the battery was effected by ICS or not ... that is what I will never be able to confirm at this point.

All I can say is thank you to T-Mobile for sending out a brand new phone and taking care of the issue.

abot

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I just got the Amaze pre-loaded with ICS 4.03; Sense 3.6 and it has overheated. I am sending it back to t-mobile to get a replacement.

TJ110158

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I just got the HTC Amaze on the 06/19, today is 06/26 and I'm now on my 3rd one. The first one got so hot I could not hold it to my ear for fear of getting burned, and everyone I spoke with on the phone complained about my voice dropping in and out and only hearing every other word I spoke.

Called T-Mobile and without troubleshooting the issue they offered to send me out a "replacement". During my wait for the replacement the phone started cutting off and on, so I called HTC directly. Again without troubleshooting the issue the HTC Tech told me to take the phone to my nearest T-Mobile store and have it replaced.

I told him that my replacement was on the way. He then ask me if they were sending me a refur or a new device. Never having done this before I didn't know, so he suggested that I call them back and find out, because I had just entered into a new two year contract and T-Mobile should have sent me a brand new device. So I called them back and ask the tech if they could check my order to see if it was a new device or a refur. She put me on hold, came back to the phone and told me that she had no way of telling what was sent. I then told her that my account is less than three days old and a refur would be unacceptable at this point, and if I open that box and get any indication it was a refur I would send it right back and cancel the contract.

She put me on hold once again, came back to the phone and said that they were going to send out yet another phone at no charge. So right now I have three phones in my house. The last one arrived today, the battery is charging right now, but the phone looked new. The battery was at 2% out of the box, both seals on the box were the same ( the 2nd one had two different seals on the box, like it had been opened before)

So wish me luck people. Love the spec's of the phone, so I'm really hoping I can keep it

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I just got the HTC Amaze on the 06/19, today is 06/26 and I'm now on my 3rd one. The first one got so hot I could not hold it to my ear for fear of getting burned, and everyone I spoke with on the phone complained about my voice dropping in and out and only hearing every other word I spoke.

Called T-Mobile and without troubleshooting the issue they offered to send me out a "replacement". During my wait for the replacement the phone started cutting off and on, so I called HTC directly. Again without troubleshooting the issue the HTC Tech told me to take the phone to my nearest T-Mobile store and have it replaced.

I told him that my replacement was on the way. He then ask me if they were sending me a refur or a new device. Never having done this before I didn't know, so he suggested that I call them back and find out, because I had just entered into a new two year contract and T-Mobile should have sent me a brand new device. So I called them back and ask the tech if they could check my order to see if it was a new device or a refur. She put me on hold, came back to the phone and told me that she had no way of telling what was sent. I then told her that my account is less than three days old and a refur would be unacceptable at this point, and if I open that box and get any indication it was a refur I would send it right back and cancel the contract....
My replacements came without the back or battery ... but HTC customer service was able to tell me from the serial number when the unit was manufactured. The one I have now was produced about 2-3 weeks before I received it, so it couldn't have been a refurb. You could do the same, just call and ask them to look up the serial numbers.