March Update for the Nexus 5X: Not Just A Security Patch

dyedbird

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded March update yesterday. Phone is definitely much snappier and fluid now. Acid test will come when using navigation and playing music simultaneously.

Posted via the Android Central App

Marty Larsson

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Do you not think when taking hdr pics it stills lags a little when taking them numerous times or is that something that will always happen when processing hdr pictures.

Posted from my Nexus 5X

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Do you not think when taking hdr pics it stills lags a little when taking them numerous times or is that something that will always happen when processing hdr pictures.

If I take a bunch of HDR+ pics on my 6P, it'll take time to process as well... Nexus uses a much different HDR process than other phones, which use exposure bracketing instead. HDR+ takes several identical images in sequence than sends them through a filtering algorithm to get the final pic.

It requires more processing than the traditional HDR, bit I think it does a better overall job.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
So, pre-update, I have done significant HDR shooting with both the 5X & 6P. With the 5X, HDR processing is very slow . . . and serial HDR photography bogs down the handset. Incidentally, this is what led me to use the 5X & 6P in tandem. As one phone processed the HDR image, I switched to the other phone for the subsequent shot. Take it one step further with panorama photos, and you will see a dramatic difference in processing time/power (with 360 panorama shots on the 5X rendering the handset unusable for several minutes).

redsandvb

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
On Fi here, just got the update today.

Only problem I had was occasional lag. Not a heavy camera user though, so...

Too early to tell how much difference the update makes for me.

laurencewo

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Definitely a smoother experience now I've got the update. Haven't had any laggy moments yet. I've noticed my average memory use has come down from 1.4 to 1.2, with no changes to apps installed/used.

sfringer

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone who has received the March OTA experienced the right side of the screen becoming unresponsive?
I have found that if I don't interact with the screen for ~6 seconds I lose the ability to interact with the right side of the screen, If I scroll on the left, then everything is fine. Clearing /cache partition doesn't help, and I've not yet performed a FDR.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone who has received the March OTA experienced the right side of the screen becoming unresponsive?
I have found that if I don't interact with the screen for ~6 seconds I lose the ability to interact with the right side of the screen, If I scroll on the left, then everything is fine. Clearing /cache partition doesn't help, and I've not yet performed a FDR.

Try safe mode before FDR.

If you do FDR, disable auto restore first.

Jimdvg

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
Got the update today. All looks good but one new issue - after updating, my volume button no longer works when the screen is asleep. Now I have to press power to wake the screen up before I can change vol. Anyone else noticed this? Very annoying!

Posted via the Android Central App

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Was wondering the same thing. I got my Nexus 5x today and got the Jan and Feb OTA update and no March one :( I may not switch phones until the March update comes through.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
(Im)patiently awaiting the March OTA here. I've had my 5X since launch and this may be the longest I've had to wait for a monthly update. And of course it's the most important update to date. Oh well, it'll come.

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
LOL As soon as I complained the update notice appeared. So far so good. The screen is actually a little more vibrant/brighter then my Moto X Pure despite the lower resolution

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I would say the update, which I sideloaded last week, has been positive, but it does not completely resolve all of the performance issues. I uninstalled Facebook shortly before that, and didn't reinstall it until a day or two ago. Still when I open a web link from Facebook, especially if I have been using it for a while, the phone can get pretty sluggish until I close it. I can generally live without Facebook though, so it's fine most of the time. I've had very few problems with the camera app even before the update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kitezpro