Mate 10 Pro initial thoughts

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had a Mate 9 all this year and disagree about EMUI bloat. I came from a nexus 4 and then 5, so I was used to vanilla android. I briefly tried a galaxy note 4 so I have seen bloat. Having said that, very very early on I installed Nova launcher to get enough icons on screen.

I have never had any issue with swiping down to see notifications. The 10 may be worse.

having to pick up your phone to turn it on. Have you tried "OK Emy"? You can use voice wake up - it is in settings /smart assistance /voice control.
The note 4 probably isn't a great example. But Samsung streamlined a lot especially on the note 8

IMissMyPsion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The note 4 probably isn't a great example. But Samsung streamlined a lot especially on the note 8
Yep, that was the point. I've also had a tab s and now have a tab s3 so I agree Samsung has cut the bloat down significantly over the years. I'm afraid I'll never have a future note unless they return to 16:9.

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm enjoying this phone myself. Just some quirks I need to iron. Such as when I get in the car, stick the phone in the dock and connect to USB, how do I get the phone to respond over head units mic without having to unlock the phone first. Hmm any ideas? One thing I miss about my iPhone. A quick Hey Siri and off I go.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yep, that was the point. I've also had a tab s and now have a tab s3 so I agree Samsung has cut the bloat down significantly over the years. I'm afraid I'll never have a future note unless they return to 16:9.
Oh i highly doubt that they will return to 16x9 at least on their flagships.
They keep wanting to push larger screen sizes while maintaining a certain width... Pushing the ar allows them to do this

Andy J 65

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Same for me , switched from a HTC U11 yesterday. Was unsure at first but as soon as I realised I could customise what I needed I was impressed

Andy J 65

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I admit after my experiences with HTC I was tempted to switch to a Pixel XL for the stock android experience but so glad I avoided the temptation with all the issues, big one for me is the view mode have the apps icon and yes the Huawei has some apps that may be duplicated like mail/Gmail but hidden apps folder enabling sorted that for me as the phone has plenty of storage to have some hidden defunct apps. I had read so many reviews and people say it's full of bloat but I have to admit I love it, new brighter icon skins as quite like bright colours all from the themes app. Still not sure if I can enable push notifications on the huawei mail app as I prefer it over the Gmail app. Any suggestions?

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I'm enjoying this phone myself. Just some quirks I need to iron. Such as when I get in the car, stick the phone in the dock and connect to USB, how do I get the phone to respond over head units mic without having to unlock the phone first. Hmm any ideas? One thing I miss about my iPhone. A quick Hey Siri and off I go.
Settings, Smart Assistance, Voice Control, Voice wakeup. You can use your voice to make phone calls etc., the default phrase is Ok Emy but you can change it to anything. You could also use Google Assistant's voice wakeup feature.