Microphone doesn't work on video calls

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Whenever I contact my husband on duo or signal video I get no sound from him if he was watching twitch or YouTube on the phone before I called him. This is happening every time since he upgraded to A11.

If he calls me I can hear him, but if I call him his mouth moves but no sound is forthcoming.

Any ideas?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
No different issue. But actually we have found that it is all video apps except WhatsApp. Went into his permissions and checked for microphone and it was allowed while in app. We tried safe mode, and the apps were disabled, of course. So we rebooted.

Anyway I called him from my iPhone and my S10+ and neither phone could hear him. With WhatsApp couldn't hear him at first then it said reconnecting and then I could hear him. It even happens when he calls me now. So I am stumped. But he can hear himself talking to me through his phone it just can't be heard on the other phone.

This has happened since Android 11 update I think. Or since the feature drop maybe. But it is consistent.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
So we have decided when he next has time off work I will reset his phone back to factory and set it up as a new phone. Once that is done I will leet you know if the problem resolves itself.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have reset his phone and once we finish setting it up I will let you know if the problem has resolved. We didn't restore from a backup but set up as a new phone.

ben55124

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I had this issue with Bluetooth mic. Found this fix for my p4xl...

settings:
google:
account services:
search,assistant and voice:
voice
and then toggle the Bluetooth audio recording switch.

Try in both on /off. I turned back to on and mic works.

Assistant must get a lock on mic for non telephone.

longhorn31

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Tried this but it didn't work on my 4XL.....thanks for posting. In my case, when I am on a call and turn on my speakerphone, no one can hear me. This is on a refurbished 4XL from Asurion running Android 11.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Tried this but it didn't work on my 4XL.....thanks for posting. In my case, when I am on a call and turn on my speakerphone, no one can hear me. This is on a refurbished 4XL from Asurion running Android 11.
Which app you using for video calls?